using car baffles in bike?

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Apr 2010 04:28 - 30 Apr 2010 04:36 #364371 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic using car baffles in bike?
I will post a vid, and some shots of the baffle so people have an idea what i did. My main jets and pilots are a tad lean now, so I was planning on putting the baffle in, seeing how it works, and by that time my jets will be here and I will be ready to jet. I love that I have pods and removing the carbs and putting them back in is so easy!

Just a dumb question, but why would I drill the endcap?
Last edit: 30 Apr 2010 04:36 by 9am53.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2010 05:46 #364388 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic using car baffles in bike?
You know I'm reading this and I just can't help thinking to myself WTF...

Translation, you went through all this engine re-build work for performance and now your going cheap on a $35 baffle... Just going to drill holes and such... :blink: :huh: :dry:

Well hell, since your not worried about performance do like we did as kids on our dirt bikes... Pack the exhaust tip plate with steel wool.. Should cost you less than a dollar...

You do realize that baffles do more than just make sound right... Such as back pressure! Hell, why have a comp exhaust on your KZ if it's not going to benefit performance as designed...

Seriously, You're killing us here....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Apr 2010 06:07 - 30 Apr 2010 06:08 #364390 by 9am53
Maybe you don't remember being in school, but this time of year people are particularly strapped. My girlfriends student loan ran out a long time ago and I have been the only source of income for months. I did what I could on the bike throughout the winter while we still ahd some money, but it has dried up. I got pulled over in a random cop blitz and had to shell out $450 last week to get my truck "roadworthy" to boot. I did the best I could to do things properly yet financially efficiently this winter and now I have the bike going, but it's too loud. I have been keen on your diy pipe thread because I intend to get a nice expensive pipe one day, but at the moment I can't afford one so I would rather ride in quiet comfort than save up for a pipe I can't afford right now. Your "do it right" M.O. has served you well and I can appreciate that. I am going to run this free baffle for a few months, who knows it may work well! Then when we have dual income again I can buy myself a proper "real" kerker baffle. That's doing it right too, no?

rant over...

btw: that 30 dollar baffle is more like 100 after shipping and currency conversion and brokerage fees
Last edit: 30 Apr 2010 06:08 by 9am53.

More
30 Apr 2010 06:14 #364392 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic using car baffles in bike?
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :unsure: :lol: :( I know what you mean, I've been unemployed now for just over a year. Money is getting really tight.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Apr 2010 06:15 #364393 by 9am53
otakar wrote:

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :unsure: :lol: :( I know what you mean, I've been unemployed now for just over a year. Money is getting really tight.

and worse yet is that now with my re-jetted carbs my bike is no longer cheap on gas! lol

speaking of gas...I can't wait for that nissan leaf!

More
30 Apr 2010 06:18 - 30 Apr 2010 06:58 #364394 by otakar
baddleespelt wrote:

I have a friend who is quite insistent that these bikes were designed to operate with the stock exhaust/airbox so as to create backpressure for the valves and that i am doing my bike a disservice by running the Kerker and pods. It has been my uneducated assumption that the baffle and endcap are compensating somewhat for that issue.
Is there any merit to his argument, or to my assumption?

You and your friend are both right. The difference is commercial and general aesthetics in comparison to hi-performance. It sounds like your friend is a egghead and a nerd and probably drives a Toyota Prious or something just as exciting. :P Here are my rides. The black one is a Jaguar XJR 420HP :blush:

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Apr 2010 06:58 by otakar.

More
30 Apr 2010 06:29 - 30 Apr 2010 06:30 #364395 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic using car baffles in bike?
May be too late now but the baffle is not welded to the end cap. The ring at the front of the baffle keeps it centered. I installed a stock system on my bike and am re doing my classic 28 year old Kerker. The holes are just standard holes and the pipe is bent to match bend in magaphone. When fitted properly the end cap slides into megaphone and over end of baffle supporting it. I use pipe insulation wrap available at Home Depot etc. It's about $5 a roll (25ft) and it works great. If not too late I can take pics of my baffle and measurments for you. But here is what your trying to build?....

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Apr 2010 06:30 by Bluemeanie.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Apr 2010 06:54 #364399 by 9am53
Bluemeanie wrote:

May be too late now but the baffle is not welded to the end cap. The ring at the front of the baffle keeps it centered. I installed a stock system on my bike and am re doing my classic 28 year old Kerker. The holes are just standard holes and the pipe is bent to match bend in magaphone. When fitted properly the end cap slides into megaphone and over end of baffle supporting it. I use pipe insulation wrap available at Home Depot etc. It's about $5 a roll (25ft) and it works great. If not too late I can take pics of my baffle and measurments for you. But here is what your trying to build?....

That's the endcap I have, but I want a shorter baffle than that. The one I have built (and already welded) is about 8 inches long and has no wrap on it yet...I will try it without the wrap take a vid, and then wrap it and take another vid. I just want to eliminate the deafening resonance at around 3500 rpm...

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Apr 2010 07:30 #364402 by 9am53
otakar wrote:

baddleespelt wrote:

I have a friend who is quite insistent that these bikes were designed to operate with the stock exhaust/airbox so as to create backpressure for the valves and that i am doing my bike a disservice by running the Kerker and pods. It has been my uneducated assumption that the baffle and endcap are compensating somewhat for that issue.

You and your friend are both right. The difference is commercial and general aesthetics in comparison to hi-performance. It sounds like your friend is a egghead and a nerd and probably drives a Toyota Prious or something just as exciting. :P Here are my rides. The black one is a Jaguar XJR 420HP :blush:

Hey now...fuel efficiency is exciting too!

More
30 Apr 2010 07:38 - 30 Apr 2010 07:42 #364404 by otakar
9am53 wrote:

otakar wrote:

baddleespelt wrote:

Hey now...fuel efficiency is exciting too!

Hay My Jag is very efficient. It converts fuel to MAX HP very efficiently (especially the way my wife uses those two Stop and Go pedals on the floor :ohmy: ). So do my GPZ. :woohoo: Now notice I use the word efficiently not economically. :woohoo: The US Army can dispatch a threat very efficiently by using fully fully automatic weaponry. Myself as a Marine can dispatch the enemy economically with a one shot one kill process. If you understand my meaning, and logic. :unsure: :blush: :evil: :whistle:

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 30 Apr 2010 07:42 by otakar.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Apr 2010 07:49 #364407 by 9am53
yeah yeah, well I can convert BOD laden mill effluent to clean water very efficiently! lol

since we have strayed while I am at work and can't take a video of my baffle, check out the nissan leaf...it makes the afformentioned prius look like a hummer!

More
30 Apr 2010 07:50 #364408 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic using car baffles in bike?
Post your exhaust tip dinemsions.... I'm getting you a baffle that I'll have sent to you FREE of charge...

I'll get you a baffle so just hold on...

All hands out... Canadian brothers, to save shipping/custom costs, if you have a spare old/used baffle laying aroound, PM me the shipping costs and I'll pay for it..

I'm not joking, dead ass serious...

Dave "OMR"...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az