Riding with squids...?

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
15 Sep 2009 10:59 #321778 by 9am53
Riding with squids...? was created by 9am53
So I just talked to my buddies cousin and we are going for a ride this evening, he rides a 2007 zx6r. I am getting a sneaky suspicion he is one of those racer-boiz...I have never ridden with this type of person before, and I am getting kind of leary already...I am not worried about him "beating" me, but I don't want to get in the situation where I get sick of his antics and throw the hammer down on the old girl and get caught, or dead... If the guy is a douche I won't ride with him again, but he main reason I want to ride with him is cause his brother has a zx14...and I wanna ride it B) . I figured if I can put up with him buzzing around a few times I can ride the rocketship. How do you guys deal with these types of riders?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2009 11:04 #321780 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Riding with squids...?
Stay away from them.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
15 Sep 2009 11:21 #321783 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Riding with squids...?
I wouldn't want to ride a rocketship. Too tempting to see what its got. I like the safe LEGAL riding so I can do it another day and so on. Put yourself around speed demons and your going to want to beat them..... A males ego always trys to WIN. Be safe LIVE LONG and PROSPER... Take Care

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
15 Sep 2009 11:29 #321786 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Riding with squids...?
Maybe I'll just go this once, and then just forget about it. It's just that I have only ridden on one new bike...and it felt anemic as hell, just wondering if the 14 has more personality, or life in it...

More
15 Sep 2009 11:40 #321790 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Riding with squids...?
If you want competition go to a track. Driving around town like a jack ass will get you or someone else hurt. Riding a bike isn't a game of guts. How long have you been riding? That ZX14 is not a toy. There might be but a few dozen people in the country that can even drive it close to its potential. Its not a bike you just jump on and ride and play with. Be carefull.

...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
15 Sep 2009 11:50 #321793 by 9am53
I am not saying that I am going to be racing this guy on the street, thats the thing, I DON'T want to be racing him, and I am thinking he is going ot try to race ME.

As far as the 14 is concerned I am not thinking of taking it for a joyride per se, I just want to take it for a spin, not too fast or anything. You will never catch me on a "cruiser" so as far as new bikes are concerned that basically leaves sport bikes, sport touring, touring, and dual-sport. I could see myself on an OLD touring bike, a GL1000 or something like that, I rode my dads versys, and like I said, it felt...cheap. SO that leaves sport touring and sport bikes...the connie is just a detuned and differently equipped zx14, so I thought a 14 would be a good bike to try out for if/when I want a new bike.

More
15 Sep 2009 12:09 #321797 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Riding with squids...?
Just be carefull I Know from my own experiance, Whats in front of you makes you want more. Its hard to fight that feeling.. Just riding with someone who is slightly on the wild side makes MAN want to be a little cray and thats where we can let our gaurd down. After all we are invincible. But not immortal. I am speaking for myself ...If in doubt leave it out. Go have fun and maybe see whats out there just keep on gaurd not to take any chances what so ever, dont be pushed, say No, and take time to let it sink in on your own time, weigh the factors and just be safe . We dont want ANYONE to get hirt on a bike. Bikers are like a family we all want to have fun and we know what fun is. That is to think safe be safe and enjoy to see another day to do it again. PEACE OUT.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
15 Sep 2009 12:35 - 15 Sep 2009 12:51 #321801 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Riding with squids...?
I'm with Mark. Stay away from them. I won't ride with anyone as a rule. Last year I saw 10 bikes go down AND LOTS OF HURT. These guys were long time riders but an imbecile wanted to ride with them. I know what I can do and will do. That's not to say I might go on a ride with one other who has my ultraconfidence. Even then spacing is very important as is pre-flight to set up point and inside outside assignments. I'm happy you have a fast bike and the ability to wheelie and carve a pumpkin. Maybe if I had super regenerative powers, a no-pain clause and immortality I might think about it for 20 seconds before I say "no way...you go play!". Now a nice cute redhead on the back of my bike is another story altogether. But at my age all redheads come from a bottle or a head wound. :ohmy:

Same thing with hunting. I went with a bunch and a rook and saw a trench open up in the earth about 3 feet in front of me. Bird hunting with a slug. If it dangerous I'll do it myself by myself unless I have bookoo confidence in my partner. I guess the only dangerous thing this may not apply to is sex. :huh: :woohoo:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 15 Sep 2009 12:51 by Locozuna. Reason: 2nd thoughts

More
15 Sep 2009 13:17 #321810 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Riding with squids...?
Like Loco, I prefer to ride alone for much the same reasons and then some. Anyway, whatever you decide to do don't let them wind you up to ride above your abilities - they might be good guys after all, what do I know, but if they turn out to be the real life imaginary 'Biker Boyz' (one of the worst movies ever) just drop back and call it a day. As they say: Every departure is optional, every arrival is mandatory. My 2 cents, enjoy your ride.

Locozuna wrote:

I guess the only dangerous thing this may not apply to is sex. :huh: :woohoo:

Amen to that...

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
15 Sep 2009 13:26 #321814 by 9am53
yeah the guy is cool, been to a few concerts with him...he just talks about how he's soooo fast and the usual game they spit...we'll see, in about another hour anyways, I'll post an update as to how it went! Geez, it's like a blind date. I stay away from those, maybe I will just stick to riding alone like y'all are saying!

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
15 Sep 2009 16:16 #321840 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic Riding with squids...?
hell, i would do it. Ride a zx-14. That should be an expience to remember.

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
15 Sep 2009 17:48 #321856 by 9am53
I just walked in the door. I have to say that I take back calling him a squid. We swapped roads, swapped being on point, it was like I have been riding with him for years. Turns out he has 2 motocross bikes as well and is a real bike enthusiast, so he actually managed to get past the awful shape my bike is in right now and appreciate it for what it is and was, which was cool coming from a ninja rider! I think he was drunk when he was talking his trash, and we actually had a great time. As far as the 14 goes...next Wednesday we are going for a longer ride and his brother is coming along, so I am going to broach the subject :)