almost lost my cousin tonight.

More
02 May 2009 10:22 #287193 by chevyhead
Replied by chevyhead on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
wow man i am truly sorry to hear about your bro. my best of wishes to the families. i know i have been riding for a short time but i have had the pleasure of riding with guys that have decades under there belt and in doing so i myself have made it a point in turn to make sure i pay full attention to myself and everyone around me. i too have had a close call not just a couple weeks ago my best friend that we started riding at the same time came by one day a bit early before he had to go to work and we were just cruising along on a straight open view road when this car pulled up to it stopped and then after sitting a second decided to pull out in front of us and not accelerate.. i was so pi**ed off i pulled up beside them and yelled at the driver and went on around them. people think bikes stop faster well thats because over half the time we lay them down.. sorry to rant on your rant but all the love form the guys who know how careless four wheel drivers can be. my prayers are with you and your bro i hope to hear about a full recovery.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2009 10:27 #287196 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
Man I'm sorry to hear about your cousin but like said at least he's here to recover and he will. I do know how he feels and how your feeling about riding. Just give it some time but don't give it up, there's no feeling that compares to being out riding. He will recover, I did.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
02 May 2009 13:30 #287220 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
you know that you can't relie on what other people may or may not do on the roads most people on the road today should not have been licensed in the first place but if you feel you have to back off for awhile that is your choice to make nobody else can do it for if do take that choice know this brother you will wlways have a home here amongst us. i do know this i go crazy waiting for winter to be over so i can grab a bike and ride if i didn't have motorcycles in my life i don't know where i'd be. so that is my choice to keep owning and riding as long as i can phisically do it. just know this we are behind you what ever decision you end up making.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• Silver
  • User
  • Old Bikes Are Better!
More
02 May 2009 15:20 #287237 by Silver
Replied by Silver on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
I play by the nobody see's me rules. Sorry to hear about your cousin. We all make a choice for one reason or another to ride. My entire family would miss me like hell if I were gone. However my entire family knows, I wouldn't be happy if I gave up riding. Been ridin bikes since I was a kid. And If I gave it up I might as well be gone. Its part of my life and who I am.. Think about the givin it up thing man.

1983 KZ750F1 LTD

More
02 May 2009 16:04 #287244 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
Typically I'd make some joke to break the tension, but I'll avoid it this time.

In all seriousness, I am glad to hear he is going to live to ride/walk another day. I've never hit a car or had to lay my bike down (intentionally) but having 3 near misses I can understand the desire to put the bike away and focus on your family. I did the same after some genius tried to run me over while I was about to turn left. It took me almost 5 years to get back on a streetbike, though commuting on my bicycle on the roads was probably more dangerous.

As OMR said, life is short and you don't know when or how your going to go. The important thing is to spend time with your family now so that when something does happen they know that they were important to you.

I had a coworker who swam out one morning to catch a jet ski that was floating away. Not a huge swim, but when he got to the ski and tried to get out of the water he had a heart attack and drowned. No one saw it coming and what he did isn't considered risky, just a bad combination that caught everyone off guard.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
02 May 2009 19:04 #287291 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
Steve, I am truly sorry to hear of this. We ride with risks everyday. When it hits close to home it's all to real. Hope he makes a speedy recovery. Be careful. We all have felt these pains time and time again.

More
02 May 2009 21:55 #287323 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic almost lost my cousin tonight. keeping you guys
went and seen him again today.
his son, girlfriend and her two kids,his parents and my mom and brother were already there.
he's still loopy being so doped up and was in and out of it.
he has no memory of the crash at all which is probally a good thing. one thing i found out is he was on his dad's savage, not his kz. ( whew ) dad is concerned since it is his son and a little upset his bike is totaled also. since we all know he will live, everyone's mind is going 100 mph.
he's going to have a limp for life now and is scheduled for surgery on his right ankle tommorrow. it's still to swollen right now.
lots of bruises, constant headache and sore neck. quite a few scrapes as well.
i'm glad he's going to make it but want to throttle the driver of the car.
guess what? on the damn phone and not paying attention. but i also hear they were so shaked up they went to the hospital as well. on the plus side, they will forever have their eyes open for motorcycles now.

i tried to get him to take a " mark wing " picture but he was still out of it and his shoulders hurt so my brother and i just gave him bunny ears instead. :lol:

that is my younger brother in the picture with us. the one who dumped the cbr900rr. you can still see the scab on his right elbow from that one.
two wrecks in a month by family members.

i did talk to the wife for a long time last night about riding and she is leaving that decision to me.
my cousin swears if i give it up because of him he will beat the shit out of me.

i'm off monday , we'll see how the day progresses.
tommorrow i'm going to spend the day with my daughters and not even think about it.

btw, omr, patton,plummen and whoever else. please feel free to chop my brothers image into whatever you want so i can forward them to him in an e-mail. :woohoo:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Attachments:

More
02 May 2009 22:12 #287328 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic almost lost my cousin tonight. keeping you guys
COOL, I'm glad to hear he's doing well, drugs are good. My picture was taken I think 3 days after so I was coherent. I still don't remember my bike wreck which I think is better and I'm missing a few hours following a car wreck I was knocked out in high school. I think your mind won't let you remember the trauma for a reason, a good reason. And I'm glad he wasn't on the KZ also.
Get well soon.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
03 May 2009 07:31 #287434 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic almost lost my cousin tonight. keeping you guys
Great to see him awake and you have gotten your sence of humor back. Having gotten back into riding after a longtime because of my children being young. I understand your thoughts of quitting riding. I said I would never ride again 13 years ago and I changed my mind.

Riding today is totally different then it was 13 years ago. Tougher to see thru the vehicle ahead because they are SUV's and the cell phone has totally changed the game. Blacked out windows so you can't make eye contact. People camping in the fast lane making it alomost impossible to to get thru traffic into a safe zone. I see people reading in their cars while driving. And some do anything so you can't get buy them. Cage drivers are worse than ever. Too many people are just selfish today when driving.

My prayers are with you and your family and hope everything comes out well. You, your brother, and cousin will be better riders after this incidence even if you choose not to ride for awhile. I remember my one and only wreck on a bike like it was yesterday and it was 33 years ago. Changed the way I ride...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
04 May 2009 13:06 #287845 by chevyhead
Replied by chevyhead on topic almost lost my cousin tonight. keeping you guys
hey i am extremely glad to hear he will be ok!!!!! also that your mood has came back up a bit also big big cudos for your wife for leaving the choice up to you!!!!! i know alot of women that would not allow you to have a choice in the matter. either way you go i support ya. sounds like your brother might kick your butt but he is your brother and you can prolly take him lol on another note i would love to put the selfish car drivers on a bike for a few days just so they too knows what importance it is to be conciderate and to pay attention!!!!!

More
04 May 2009 13:25 #287858 by OnkelB
Sorry to hear about your cousin's accident but glad to hear he's still with us, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
04 May 2009 18:22 #287978 by JR
Sorry to hear about the wreck but glad to hear your cousin will pull through. Sounds like he has all KZR in addition to family pulling for him.

Regarding riding I gave it up when my first kid was born and started agian when I was 50. I had no fear when I was 25 and now I am almost paranoid. I stay off multi lane highways and enjoy a blast on the quiet back roads. Some things never leave ones blood completely.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust