almost lost my cousin tonight.

More
01 May 2009 21:47 - 01 May 2009 22:27 #287111 by kawsakiman
almost lost my cousin tonight. was created by kawsakiman
Sorry guys, this is going to be a rant from a pissed off guy.
I just got home from the hospital after getting the call.
My cousin, who I love as a brother was involved in a wreck tonight.
He was riding to work at his job as a emt when someone pulled out in front of him.
He rides 75 miles one way to work everyday. 140 miles a day. From Watkins glen ny to Manchester everyday to help other people and ends up needing help himself.
He was in the turning lane and some car shot the hole and pulled out in front of him.
He hit the A pillar and went over the car and landed on his head.
He was mercy flighted to the hospital with a fucked up leg and suspected internal injuries.
At least he was wearing his helmet, it saved his life.

I got to the hospital before his parents did since they live 75 miles away.
I DIDN’T NEED TO SEE THIS SHIT TONIGHT!
Here is my cousin laying all fucked up because someone was in a hurry.
He has a 3 year old son and was just trying to go to work to support his family.
The only good thing is the accident was witnessed by a cop .he seen the whole thing and already made a report that the driver of the car was al fault.

Why do we do this when we all know it could kill us someday?

Seeing my cousin I consider my brother all fucked up like this makes me consider whether I want to keep riding.

Is it worth it to make my wife a widow and my kids fatherless?

Sorry for the rant guys. I’m just pissed off.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL EVERYONE!
SHIT LIKE THIS HAPPENS EVERYDAY.

Life changes in a second and there is nothing we can do about it.

I’m just glad I am writing this here instead of the “fallen riders” forum.

I think I’m taking a couple days off riding and spending it with my family instead.

This was a eye opener for me. I need to seriously consider if it is worth it. Riding or living.

This is a flashback to 23 years ago for me.

I just don’t know if it’s worth it anymore.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Last edit: 01 May 2009 22:27 by kawsakiman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
01 May 2009 21:52 #287115 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
Sorry to hear about this,I hope he makes a full recovery

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

More
01 May 2009 22:13 #287117 by 10Bucks
Replied by 10Bucks on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
I'm glad he's alive. Thank God for that. Go hug your wife and kids and chew on the thought for a day or two.

Ken

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
01 May 2009 22:31 - 01 May 2009 22:34 #287119 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
Wow steve im really sorry to hear this man. I hope he makes a full recovery. It amazes me and pisses me off at the same time the stuid and ill affects a-holes in cars do. I had a lady pull out in front of me about a week ago and i left tire marks for 20 or so feet........I got off the bike and laid into this lady........ya know what she freaking told me? Relax......motorcycles can stop faster its a proven fact. If i would have had my gun with me the police would have had a nasty mess to clean up off the road.......and they would have been taking my happy a** to jail. Sory for the rant guy's but things like this really piss me off, i watched a friend of mine die right in front of me 2 years ago. It was a warm night in july 2000, my buddy that i had know since the 5th grade called me up and asked if i wanted to go riding.........i almost said no, but something inside me told me to just go, and im glad i did, it was the last time i ever road with him. Anyways, we were riding on a 2 lane road, and a drunk driver coming the other way swerved right in front of him, and they hit head on. Keep in mind we were both wearing mesh jackets with the armour plating, full face helmets and gloves. My buddy flew over his bars and the car and landed on his head, which snapped his neck and he died instantly. I sat there for a second on shock , not beliving what had just happened. Then a few days later reality sank in and i realized i wont ever see him again........gone just like that.. The hardest part was the day of his funeral, it was a sad day, there were over 300 motorcycles riding in his funeral prossesion that day.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois
Last edit: 01 May 2009 22:34 by oldkaws4ever.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
01 May 2009 22:43 #287120 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
Damn Steve, that's pretty f'd up. :-(
Like was already said, thank God your cousin/bro is still alive and will hopefully recover fully from it.

Not to downplay your thoughts on possibly giving up riding for you and your families sake, but I've been there as welp more times than I can remember - at least once every year after a close call / near miss.

I don't know if this will help you, but it's helped me for years now;
Along with doing a pre-ride check on my bike, I've added in the ritual of a quick prayer for awareness and a safe journey, and make it a point not to enjoy the ride enough to where I let my guard down for even a second.
Basically, I treat every vehicle that are sharing the roads with me as though they're intentionally out to get me. Sure, i still have a close call once in a while, but I'm still here and intact to post about it. An added bonus is, it has made me a much better focused and aware driver when I'm driving my truck. :-)

Theres no wrong devidion here, just giive it some time and think it over thoroughly so you're certain about it. And if you do decide to give up riding, we'll all understand and support you on it. Oh, and I call first dibs on all your bikes and bike parts! :D :P
lol

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• Iron Duke
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
More
01 May 2009 23:33 #287123 by Iron Duke
Replied by Iron Duke on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
I'm 66 today (a young 66) started riding again after 42 years, did not stop riding for any reason other than marriage, and raising a family, loved the freedom the bike gave me, now its 42 years later kids are gone,now with grown kid of there own(my oldest).have the time and the funds,got the bike, and have learned , that we drivers from the 50s,60s,70s,and yes even later handle the machines we drive with a lot more skill than our young operators of today as a whole.fear strikes at me quite often while riding my KZ, people just don't pay attenion, you have to drive way ahead, and not let your guard down. greaves me everytime i see or hear of a biker going down while riding 99% of the time its the 4 wheels that are at fault, because of lack of driver skills. in ending hope and pray that your cousin makes a complete recovery, his career as an EMT is a very selfless job, with not much thanks, but o the lives he has helped save. we need more people such as he. regards the duke

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

More
02 May 2009 03:15 #287131 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
So sorry to hear about your cousin. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
02 May 2009 06:20 #287152 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
I can totally relate to where your coming from Steve! My accident was my fault but it was something that just came out of no where. One second I'm cruising home on the freeway, the next I'm lying ON the freeway. I almost gave up riding but figured that I've been riding for over 30 years and that was my first accident. I'm a lot more careful now but still enjoy getting the old gal out as much as possible. I shattered my left leg in three pieces and am now almost totally recovered and so will your cousin. I ride with the thought process that no one see's me (which is really true) I took things for granted but now I'm much more aware of my surroundings. Good luck to your cousin and keep us up to date...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 May 2009 06:32 #287154 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
heres to your cousin even having a recovery to go thru,sorry to be reading this and with you on the whole should i even own a bike thingy.....just be happy he's in one peice and can speak....do what you gotta do....i consider bikes as one of some of the most spiritual things i have been given on my time here on earth...peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
02 May 2009 07:18 #287163 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
Really sorry to hear this. :( I hope your cousin makes a full recovery.

More
02 May 2009 07:20 - 02 May 2009 07:20 #287165 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
No words we could say could help ease the pain your families must be feeling... Sorry brother!

On your thoughts, we've all been there... Hell I gave it up for 15 years (marriage, kid raising etc...) until recently once again enjoying the freedom riding does to the soul....

But one thing I did learn in the ARMY which I truly believe holds true... When your times up, it's up....

He could of easily been in a car and had the same situation occur... He could have been in a cross walk as a pedestrian and been hit by a red light runner.

My life long friends cousin was riding home a couple of years ago on his ride, ~ 25mph, close to home when a deer ran out in front of him and jumped. The deers back hooves caught him in the chest... He died!

Case in point, did you guys just hear about Las Vegas phenomenon entertainer Danny Gans.... 52 years old, family man with 3 kids, worked charities, non hard party life style, died in his sleep.

So as you see, life is a ball buster that way... Sure somethings can accelerate the percentages such as weaving in & out of traffic, stunt riding, always on the throttle, riding with out a helmet, driving like an a-hole but sometimes in life, there's just not a damn thing you can do about it....

Our thoughts and prayers go out to to your families...

Dave

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 02 May 2009 07:20 by Old Man Rock.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
02 May 2009 09:57 #287185 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic almost lost my cousin tonight.
Wow, I wish the best for your cousin. I hope the officer brings some kind of charges against the driver of the car.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.