new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
12 Mar 2009 20:37 #271497 by trianglelaguna
new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies... was created by trianglelaguna
did you gyus see this.....i'd be bummed.....lotta money to have to be worrying about junk frames.....this aint no mountain bike it's a 165 h.p race bike for the street....potholes...dips....train crossings....stop and go for 40,000 miles....bad frames....now that is some bull...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2009 20:42 #271498 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...
what years does it cover and where did you see it craig can you get me a link to it. this is not cool i have been afraid of something like since they started the big horsepower at as light of weight as they can get cycle started with the r1 in 1998.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
12 Mar 2009 20:50 #271503 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...
thats been going onfor a few years atleast,honda had same problem with goldwing frames :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 Mar 2009 20:54 #271506 by timebomb33
ya but the goldwing was breaking down at the bottom crossmember not snaping off just before the steering head at what should be the strongest part of the entire frame.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA

More
12 Mar 2009 21:01 #271509 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...
well thats one thing the ol kaw frames have going for them,ive bent and tweaked a few of them over the years from lots of wheelies/excessive hp but ive never had one snap!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 Mar 2009 21:12 #271512 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...
Week clutch baskets, weak cranks, and now weak frames. Many have said that these bikes were always made on the cheap which is why you could always buy them cheaper than the kaws. This then is the result of cutting corners then. Who needs to worry about stuff like this when you are riding the spit out of it?
My brother had one and I remember riding at 188 trying to break that pony and realizing that the straight highway from LA to Laguna wasn't so strait at 188 and that was a very sobering thought which led me to slow down also not to mention getting caught surely would lead to jail time or at least the loss of license which brings me back to that song
"My Maserati does 185. I lost my license and now I don't drive...:silly: "

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Mar 2009 23:16 - 12 Mar 2009 23:17 #271527 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...
i read about the recall in the lastest roadracing world and wanted to see what you guys thought and so i googled gsxr1000 frame recall to steal a photo...that photo came from a litagation series of pictures...it's not just one or two...there have been a lot of em... if the recall is cuaght in time i think they bring the bike in an add a clip or brace......

i had one of the first aluminum framed(big tubes/fat welds)bmx bicycles in my group of friends in 76 (a g-boy) and i was riding of a jump and it went "poink" in a landing and broke clean at the nuts bar pad and down tube......it had a lifetime gaurantee as a sales incentive,,,got a brand new frame ...then they went outta buisness and the second break the bike shop owner paid to have welded and painted and said no more after this.....
if you google the gsxr1000 recall you will find that suzuki is not fixing some wasted bikes ...saying that they were abused....people are pissed and sueing....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 23:17 by trianglelaguna.

More
13 Mar 2009 19:51 #271731 by timebomb33
if that frame was not flawed how many tons of force would you have to apply to break something as what should be a heavy duty part like the top tubes of a frame i'm afraid some simple wheelies should not been able to stress that area enough to do that kind of damages am i right.

More
13 Mar 2009 20:29 #271746 by 650ed
It might be easier to list the Suzukis that were NOT recalled. Here's the latest recall lists:

www.suzukicycles.com/Recalls.aspx

www.allworldauto.com/recalls/suzuki_recalls_143-1.html

Regarding the GSXR steering stems breaking off:

Suzuki announced on January 15, 2009 that 2005 and 2006 GSXR1000 frames have to be inspected and if cracks are found in the frame, to be replaced. If no cracks are found, dealers are to install a frame reenforcement. Dealers will have to apply a dye to check the frames. Suzuki will auto ship the test kits to dealers on Jan. 23rd. If a frame has to be replaced, Suzuki has to be consulted on a case by case basis.

To quote Suzuki directly per the bulletin,
"WHY IS SUZUKI CONDUCTING THIS RECALL?

Suzuki has received reports of cracking or breakage of the motorcycle frame in extreme situations where unusually high stress is placed on the frame, such as collisions involving the front wheel/fork assembly.

Suzuki has also received reports of cracking or breakage of the frame behind and below steering neck when the motorcycle is subjected to repeated hard landings from hazardous maneuvers such as extreme or extended wheelies or other stunts. Suzuki believes this type of driving activity is reckless - and illegal when performed on a public roadway - and does not condone it. If the frame becomes broken during this type of extreme use, a crash will occur. (DUH, BIG OF THEM TO ADMIT THAT IF THE FRONT OF THE BIKE FALLS OFF YOU WILL CRASH)

While ordinary operation of the motorcycle does not create a risk of cracking or breakage to the frame, Suzuki has decided voluntarily to conduct this Safety Recall to minimize the potential for frame cracking or breakage in the circumstances described above."

OKAY, but if Suzuki truly expected the bikes to be driven only in a legal fashion why did they engineer them to go 170+ MPH????? What do they mean by "ordinary operation of the motorcycle?" Hell, they could have given the bikes a 2 speed tranny or 1/3 the horsepower if they really believed folks would drive them as if they were Vespa scooters. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Mar 2009 22:06 #271777 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...
I'll throw my hat in, I've seen other motorcycle frames break due to abuse. If they built these frames for stunting there would be some serious buildup and gusseting around the necks, top tubes, swingarms, etc. The bikes are designed to be light and fast.

To put this in another light, if Billy Bob is jumping his 911 on the hills of San Fransisco and wrecks the front end, is Porsche liable for damages? Sure it can do 190mph which would be illegal on public roadways, but its intended use is driving with 4 wheels on the ground (or very close to it). Jumping over hills is not what it was designed for. When I got the family Aerostar to clear all 4 wheels and landed it, I took the chance that I was pushing the vehicle past its design limits.

Look at some of the frame bracing we put on old bikes just to eliminate some frame flex while pushing them through the corners a bit faster. If you want to stunt my thoughts are to ride a super-motard. At least then you have a frame that was originally designed for flight and the subsequent landing.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2009 22:16 #271779 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...
sounds like sane advice.....i always thought the stunters looked scketchy as far as bending/breaking stuff too.....if it snaps from rough roads that is another story...screw em anyway i can't get my feet in the pegs in any of em cept the cbr 1000rr 2008-9 anywayKawiConvert wrote:

I'll throw my hat in, I've seen other motorcycle frames break due to abuse. If they built these frames for stunting there would be some serious buildup and gusseting around the necks, top tubes, swingarms, etc. The bikes are designed to be light and fast.

To put this in another light, if Billy Bob is jumping his 911 on the hills of San Fransisco and wrecks the front end, is Porsche liable for damages? Sure it can do 190mph which would be illegal on public roadways, but its intended use is driving with 4 wheels on the ground (or very close to it). Jumping over hills is not what it was designed for. When I got the family Aerostar to clear all 4 wheels and landed it, I took the chance that I was pushing the vehicle past its design limits.

Look at some of the frame bracing we put on old bikes just to eliminate some frame flex while pushing them through the corners a bit faster. If you want to stunt my thoughts are to ride a super-motard. At least then you have a frame that was originally designed for flight and the subsequent landing.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
14 Mar 2009 05:43 #271807 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic new gsxr frame recall....dont do wheelies...
I kmew a guy who did lots of stunt riding and evading police in Spokane. He blew out his fork seals when he had to drop the front end fast to avoid going over. This is also the same guy who shattered his leg when he "stepped off" of the bike he was doing a wheelie on. He was well in excess of the 60mph speed limit and it started going to high and so he got/was helped off. He went through bikes a bit as well.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust