motorcycling and the sixth sense?

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
28 Feb 2009 18:57 #268784 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic motorcycling and the sixth sense?
RonKZ650 wrote:

Don't know about sixth sense, but the way I've always seen it is it takes 2 to make a 2 vehical accident and 1 to make a 1. If you watch out for YOU, it doesn't matter what other iddiots do. There are definate exceptions to this, but for the most part it's true. Someone turns left in front of you, you have brakes and steering to avoid a collision if you're at the top of your game. I'm too old now to be at the top, so this rule don't work completely unfortunately, but in the prime of riding I could say this. Every time I had any kind of accident, I can look back and lay blame on myself to some degree. Live and learn from your mistikes if you live through them.:laugh: The police, that's another story, I was never any good at avoiding them, finally decided the smart thing was just to not speed. :)

I agree with you BUT there was a guy and his wife on a bike sitting in a left turn lane waiting on a car to turn right,a car came around the car turning right and went head on into the bike.I been at that intersection and can see there was no way the guy on the bike could avoid it it made think about sitting in those turn lanes.

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
28 Feb 2009 19:10 #268790 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic motorcycling and the sixth sense?
eddiem wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

Don't know about sixth sense, but the way I've always seen it is it takes 2 to make a 2 vehical accident and 1 to make a 1. If you watch out for YOU, it doesn't matter what other iddiots do. There are definate exceptions to this, but for the most part it's true. Someone turns left in front of you, you have brakes and steering to avoid a collision if you're at the top of your game. I'm too old now to be at the top, so this rule don't work completely unfortunately, but in the prime of riding I could say this. Every time I had any kind of accident, I can look back and lay blame on myself to some degree. Live and learn from your mistikes if you live through them.:laugh: The police, that's another story, I was never any good at avoiding them, finally decided the smart thing was just to not speed. :)

I agree with you BUT there was a guy and his wife on a bike sitting in a left turn lane waiting on a car to turn right,a car came around the car turning right and went head on into the bike.I been at that intersection and can see there was no way the guy on the bike could avoid it it made think about sitting in those turn lanes.

i got a new watch and it makes my sweatshirt/hoodie ride outta my left glove....i found my self putting the bike in nuetral this week at stop/turn lanes and fixing my left sleeve /glove............sitting at an intersection in neutral is the best way to go to allah and the 70 virgins i've ever seen........i need to not wear that watch(it is done now) and stay in gear watching my mirrors and front three directions......i've been able to crawl aside before and avoided getting jammed up.....good points....ronkz650 is right ....for me it is like a scary game where everyone is gonna try and swerve and kill me at the last second ..including parked cars and blind curves....and i must win ....each ride is like a mission...but i dont get nutty...i just stay ultra alert and enjoy the ride...second nature...or if you will a sixth sense..B)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
02 Mar 2009 12:27 #269262 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic motorcycling and the sixth sense?
I'm not much good at guessing the whereabouts of local LEOs, but I have gotten better at guessing which lane the car in front of me will jump into. Without a turn signal, natch :angry:
Mostly, it's just knowing that no spot on a CA freeway will remain empty (nature hates a vacuum?) for more than a few seconds.
Riding defensively has definitley made me a better cage driver. I see some of the knuckle-heads swerving thru traffic at high speed (cars and bikes), and I know its just a matter of time...

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
04 Mar 2009 06:15 #269580 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic motorcycling and the sixth sense?
Riding motorcycles for the last 35 years has really changed my driving habits. On the bike I'm always looking for the person who is NOT looking for me! You feel very exposed and want to protect yourself, especially if you've already had some bike accident. As ltdrider says, it has made me a better cage driver also as I'm still looking for that a-hole that's out to get me. Bottom line is that I don't think it's a sixth sense, but being more aware of your surroundings which of course makes you notice much more? :blink:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!