Stupid cagers!

More
23 Jul 2008 16:13 #227912 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Stupid cagers!
I really haven't had too many idiots in cages come at me while I've been on the bike (just the regular amount of people cutting me off I suppose).

I work for the local county here at the minute and even though I'm driving an F-250 superduty (a fairly big truck) I must be invisible. I stick the cruise right on the speed limit wherever I'm going because although it is a company vehicle the drivers still pay all tickets and those few minutes saved just aren't worth it. You wouldn't believe the amount of jackasses who nearly rearend me and then weave back and forth through their lane behind me looking to pass in a double yellow line area.
Or the ones who come up behind you and ride your ass like it's nascar but won't pass even when it's safe, you move to the side and slow down.
During a regular day I generally have to climb the curb in quite a few different places throughout town and I always try to make sure there is as little traffic as possible around when I'm doing it. The other day I was just getting my back wheels up the curb when some lady who apparently didn't notice the flashing orange light on my roof, the flashing hazard lights, and the county signs all over my truck tries to plough through me and then looks at me as though I'm some foreign species, waves her hands disgustedly and screeches off.

I could go on and on and I've only been in the job a month.

One thing all these drivers seem to have in common is that they can't seem to remember where their brake pedal is. Even if they can see that you might still be across their path by the time they get to you the only control they can ever find is the horn. Luckily I usually know where the speed traps are around here and once or twice me and my coworkers have gotten lucky with that :P

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2008 16:16 #227913 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Stupid cagers!
As everyone recounts their tale, I want to caution all of you that you're not as anonymous on the Internet as you might think. Each of your posts has an IP address associated with it and it has happened that savvy law enforcement or attorneys have been able to back-track to find the person they're looking for. Be aware that Stein (kzrider) may not be able to protect your Internet identity as the host terms and service most likely specify cooperation with law enforcement in all cases.

I can see where pulling a knife could be construed as assault with a deadly weapon even though it was only a tire that was slashed. I'm not being judgmental here, just merely stating that postings like this could have far-reaching repercussions for the poster.

Consider this friendly advice.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
23 Jul 2008 16:19 - 23 Jul 2008 16:31 #227915 by Saki Jockey
Replied by Saki Jockey on topic Stupid cagers!
There was a case of road rage 2 weeks ago in Milton ON, where 2 guys got into it over whatever, one fellow in a Grand Am, the other in a SUV.

These two play swap the lead for a while, make it out onto the 401 (Canada's largest highway), the Grand Am cuts off the SUV and gives him a healthy brake check. The SUV can't stop in time, dives right, head on into the concrete abutment; Rolls several times, driver is DOA.

They were both in roughly the same age group, both joes on their way to work. The guy in the Grand Am is up for basically everything short of Manslaughter thanks to Ontario's handy aggressive driving laws. I agree that this guy needs to pay a price if in fact the jury finds him guilty, but I remember in grade school the teacher always said it takes two to fight.

Having said all of that;

Knives, ball bearings and brass knuckles are no match for 2 tonnes of steel and plastic.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada
Last edit: 23 Jul 2008 16:31 by Saki Jockey.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
23 Jul 2008 16:36 #227918 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Stupid cagers!
N0NB wrote:

Each of your posts has an IP address associated with it and it has happened that savvy law enforcement or attorneys have been able to back-track to find the person they're looking for....

While this is good advice and should be taken to heart, the DA's still have something called "the burden of proof", as well as someone pressing charges. Part of the burden of proof is date, time and location of incident. You can't get that from an ip address!

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
23 Jul 2008 21:17 #227986 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic Stupid cagers!
I live and ride in LA everyday. I used to do courier work and would ride around this town for 40 hours a week.
Moving here taught me, when riding, everyone is out to get me and a few have actually tried.

First time happened after being in Cali a month. The lane splitting was still new to me. I was splitting lanes on Wilshire heading home. I didn’t know you should not split on the right when traffic is moving. I am cruising along and I start to pass a guy who has his left turn signal on. Right as I enter his blind spot (rear tire) he makes a quick right. I never had a chance. I took the guys mirror off and went down. He hauled ass:angry: Luckily, I was not broke just soar and surprisingly the old Nighthawk only had a bent shifter and a few scratches:cheer:
I have also had people open there doors to let out a passenger a few times. I am always watching for that so they have yet to get me with that one.

Another time, my GS500 was having valve clearance trouble one day and it stalled at a stop sign. While trying to re-start it, I am hit from behind lightly but since I didn't see it coming, I dropped the bike. Nothing was wrong but because of the heat of the moment I lost it and started yelling. The lady just left.

Recently, I made a right turn and at the same time a large SUV did the same from the gas station at the same corner.
I started to pass on the left and he swerved over to take up both lanes. I backed off and moved to the right. Next the driver throws and breaks a beer bottle in front of me. I backed way off. At the next red light I see he is waiting in the right lane. Since the left turn lane is empty, I take it. I just stare at the (insert nasty pro-noun here) but they are hiding behind the SUV's dark tint. The whole time I have an escape plan and this time there are other cars as witnesses. Traffic light changes and I scoot.

It is survival of the fittest and I survived to tell my stories. Except, I never told my girlfriend that last one. She would worry.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

More
24 Jul 2008 04:53 #228012 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Stupid cagers!
clutch wrote:

N0NB wrote:

Each of your posts has an IP address associated with it and it has happened that savvy law enforcement or attorneys have been able to back-track to find the person they're looking for....

While this is good advice and should be taken to heart, the DA's still have something called "the burden of proof", as well as someone pressing charges. Part of the burden of proof is date, time and location of incident. You can't get that from an ip address!

No, but you can get that from the person who posted from that IP address. And please, don't think that it can't happen because it can.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
24 Jul 2008 05:18 #228013 by slowman
Replied by slowman on topic Stupid cagers!
I figured I would get chastised somewhat for doing what I did. I am ok with this, as I realized that I shouldn't have done it. I was merely recounting my tale of a horrendous experience with another person on the road. The ultimate goal was the moral that we should all pay a little more attention to what goes on around us. Not that I'm saying we all don't, but it hits a little closer to home when it happens to another forum member.

The lesson that I personally should take away from this is just to back off, park it, and get my head right when something like this happens. It is entirely possible that I exacerbated the situation by speeding up to get away from her. The best thing I could have done was just to slow and let her speed off to wherever she was going. Sometimes, thinking logically is difficult when you have the adrenaline rush going, but the fact that I had the adrenaline rush in the first place should have told me something. Lesson learned.

N0NB, I am aware of IP tracking. I am a HUGE advocate of internet privacy, and I am taken many steps to obfuscate my real IP address, among several other things. I will not recount them here, as that would defeat the purpose. I suppose you could call me a computer nerd :)

As far as LEO's, I don't cooperate with police. The only reason they have legitimacy is because they DO in so many people's minds. The supreme court (intentionally not capitalized) has ruled that police are not here to protect us, they are here to protect the state. When they talk to you, the only thing they are doing is attempting to get you to give up your 5th Amendment right not to incriminate yourself. They are simply looking to get enough information out of you to charge you with a crime. Ever wonder why they ask, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" The language that they use is incredible; next time you get pulled over pay VERY close attention to their choice of words. Police are trained to be sneaky and lie to you to get what they want. My point is that the burden of proof is on the state to prove that a crime was committed. I'm not going to help them.

This is almost a separate argument from the original topic, but I am NOT saying that all police are bad... many LEO's enter the field to help people. I have come across some genuinely nice and helpful police officers. I have also come across a few that are state-serving authoritarians that simply want you to bow down, kiss their feet, and recognize their so-called authority.

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!

More
24 Jul 2008 06:30 #228023 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Stupid cagers!
WOW! :blink:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
24 Jul 2008 06:37 #228024 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Stupid cagers!
slowman wrote:

When they talk to you, the only thing they are doing is attempting to get you to give up your 5th Amendment right not to incriminate yourself. They are simply looking to get enough information out of you to charge you with a crime.... Police are trained to be sneaky and lie to you to get what they want.

Uh huh. Well, that sounds reasonable, or at least as reasonable as stabbing some older lady's tire for cutting you off... :dry:

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

More
24 Jul 2008 09:56 #228055 by slowman
Replied by slowman on topic Stupid cagers!
I think it has been established several times that I regret doing that, and if I was able to change what happened, I would've just parked it for a few minutes.

It wasn't just cutting me off... people do that on a daily basis here. She nearly killed me twice in a 30 second time frame. She made eye contact both times, so she knew what she did. She just didn't care. At the time, I felt my actions were justified.

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!

More
24 Jul 2008 10:40 #228062 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Stupid cagers!
we all know that even if they make eye contact with you still don't mean they seen you.

that was your first mistake.
second was staying close enough to give her a second chance.

just another life lesson.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
24 Jul 2008 11:22 #228067 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Stupid cagers!
Listen, she did wrong twice you also did wrong twice (gave her a second chance and stabbed her tire). This is getting old. Every one knows they are out there. There are bad car drivers and bad motorcycle drivers. But then you go off on a cops are bad rant and they are only out to get you and lie and trick you and work to fill the states coffers. Ever need a cop? Lots of people do. That lady might have needed a cop. You needed a cop. Being a cop is no tit job. I don't care if you're Barney Fife. Sure there are bad ones who have hemorrhoids or love to look at themselves in aviator glasses and Stetsons. But I really do think MOST of them are dedicated to do a good job and it is a job where most of the people they encounter do lie to them. Sometimes it a big lie and sometimes it is a little lie but most people do. And starting a conversation IS the best way to judge a persons functionality and the need for a sobriety test. It's also a way to start conversation to put a nervous person a little more at ease. I only have one more thing to say and that is by what you type I have a feeling that if a cop walks up to your window he can read your face as to what you think of him and he WILL act accordingly as would anyone cause as you say "You don't cooperate with LEO's. Your words ...not mine. I really don't see WHY???

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"