motorcycles and children and mothers

More
14 Jan 2008 16:39 #189280 by basekamp
motorcycles and children and mothers was created by basekamp
ok, I need some advice. I finally talked my wife into letting me get my dream bike, a 1976 KZ900, so for this I commend her. For years she has sworn there is no way in hell I will ever get a bike. It took some major work to get her to finally be ok with a vintage sunday rider. The thing is this; she wants to keep it a secret from our 2 boys to avoid them getting any bright ideas. She has experienced and seen people experience tragedy on motorcycles.

I have the argument that you can't hide your kids from the world. It is better to educate them to be responsible and make smart informed choices - this also applies to motorcycles. If a boy dreams of a bike then no mother will stop him. If a boy dreams of a bike, a mother may help him be smart about it, which, I think, is far more powerful than banning all together.

Any thoughts on the matter. The thing with boys is if they see dad on one then they will def. start dreaming of one. There is something to be said for out of sight out of mind........

looking for the right answer!

Post edited by: basekamp, at: 2008/01/14 19:40

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2008 16:58 #189283 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
Well seems to me that the only decision would have to be getting rid of the wife.:cheer: :silly: :whistle:

JK, but I totally understand what you mean. Children look up to their father. I can just see their big glowing eyes at the sight of their dad on a motorcycle. From that moment on they will want one, they will want to be just like you. But in my opinion, this is not a problem. Having a motorcycle would help them learn that it is important to be a safe and responsible driver. I would take pride in owning a kz900, dont hide it. Depending on their age, start out with a dirt bike, or something small for them to learn on. When they are older they can have a bike of their own. They would have no prouder moment than cruizin down the highway with their dad at their side. Lots of fun, and a great way to teach and grow closer to your kids.
But thats just my two cents.

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
14 Jan 2008 17:24 #189287 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
We all dream. If you get your dream bike that will be a proud feeling. Teaching your kids the correct way to safely operate a motorcycle when young will be a prouder feeling. I would rather inspire and teach, then have them inspired by their buddies. and never being taught.

Just my thoughts on this.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
14 Jan 2008 18:08 #189301 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
I've owned my KZ650 for almost 28 years. My kids were not even born when I bought it new. But at 24 my son has no desire for a bike. He knows it's my pride and joy. So just because Daddy has a bike does not mean they HAVE to have one! I understand how your wife feels but I think she's thinking way overboard. So does she not want the kids to see you in a car? Over 50,000 people a year die in auto accidents! Just my 2 cents worth. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
14 Jan 2008 18:30 #189304 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
If your sons are teens then likely the forbidden is simply more allure for them.

Teach them, and teach them well. If you want them to eventually feel free to own a motorcycle, then start now to teach them safety and responsibility. If you or your wife are completely set against the very idea of them ever having one, then for you to even own one sends mixed signals and will be a bone of contention between you and your wife.

You should talk about this openly with her. Show her around here, and we'll do what we can to be supportive. But work out the kinks right away. Even a bike is not worth hurting your marriage or your loved ones.:( ;)

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
14 Jan 2008 19:24 #189313 by JR
Replied by JR on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
I wonder if there really is a standard response as every family is different. Nobody in my family ever had a motorcycle and I have no idea where my desire to ride came from but come it did and it has never left me. My wife is comfortable with my interest (bless her!) and knows that when walking down a street and I turn my head it's to look at a bike and not another woman. When It comes to kids I have two daughters and I guess it's mainly genetics and biochemistry but they have no interest in bikes.

If I'd had sons I wonder if they would have the same interests as I. Like bluemeanie I have seen so many families where the dad rides and the sons have no interest. On the other hand if there is a possibility of sons riding then I would say bring it out into the open and set the best example possible. Wear the helmet, do the safety checks., drive it home that safety pays off. I did this with the girls when it came to driving the car. Dont drink. Dont do anything stupid. drive safe and keep your insurance down. Every young person feels they are immortal but very few have the $ to pay big premiums.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
14 Jan 2008 19:41 #189319 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
My dad and no one in my family ever owned or even rode on a motorcycle. I bought my '77 KZ650 new in April 1977; my son was 1 month old. Both my son and the bike are pushing 31, but he has never displayed the slightest interest in motorcycles. He's not a timid person, and in fact he has a commercial driving license and drives a big church school bus. There's a little kid down the street (about 6 or 7 yrs old) who's parents have never owned or even been on a motorcycle. If I have my bike in the driveway the kid's mom takes him for a walk he is drawn to it like a magnet. His mom isn't happy. My point is, some of us are drawn toward motorcycles and some are not. I can't say that your owning one will not influence your son to want to ride, but not owning one certainly will not prevent him from being drawn to motorcycles if he is so inclined. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Jan 2008 19:45 - 28 Aug 2009 23:58 #189322 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic motorcycles and children and mothers

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 23:58 by KZ250LTD.

More
14 Jan 2008 19:50 #189323 by Spot
Replied by Spot on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
Looks like you already know the answer. Dad is the standard boys look to. Teach them well. I watch traffic around me even in a car because of the awareness lessons I learned on a bike. Same for guns, or anything, for that matter. I was taught to respect and handle firearms when I was 5, and never had a hunting accident (45 now). I got a little crazy on my first bike, but my uncle, who bought it for me, made sure it was on/off road so I did my crashing in the dirt and knew I didn't want to try asphalt.

Kudos to the Mrs.!!! That's a scary step for someone in her shoes. Make sure she knows that you know how big that decision was for her.

Good judgment comes from experience, which usually comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

More
14 Jan 2008 20:45 #189333 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
Kawickrice wrote:

We all dream. If you get your dream bike that will be a proud feeling. Teaching your kids the correct way to safely operate a motorcycle when young will be a prouder feeling. I would rather inspire and teach, then have them inspired by their buddies. and never being taught.

Just my thoughts on this.

i cant improve on what he just said,so ill just quote it!B) :P

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
15 Jan 2008 15:26 #189464 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
Dirt Bike.
Get your kids a dirt bike. And get yourself one while you are at it. Riding dirt bikes (trail or MX) is a GREAT father/son/daughter activity. You can teach them responsibility, mechanical know-how, taking care of your equipment (and your body - MX racers are some of the most health conscious and fit people on the planet), respect for the enviroment, etc. It's awesome. I take my son riding for the day and it is just us and we have fun and spend the day together. You can't put a price on those memories. Plus, it is great training if they do make the decision to ride street bikes when they are grown.
Can't say enough good things about it...
Of course, it may take a little selling with the wife.;)

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

• Gosling1
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
More
16 Jan 2008 06:28 #189540 by Gosling1
Replied by Gosling1 on topic motorcycles and children and mothers
ThatGPzGuy wrote:

Dirt Bike.
Get your kids a dirt bike. And get yourself one while you are at it. Riding dirt bikes (trail or MX) is a GREAT father/son/daughter activity. You can teach them responsibility, mechanical know-how, taking care of your equipment (and your body - MX racers are some of the most health conscious and fit people on the planet), respect for the enviroment, etc. It's awesome. I take my son riding for the day and it is just us and we have fun and spend the day together. You can't put a price on those memories. Plus, it is great training if they do make the decision to ride street bikes when they are grown.
Can't say enough good things about it...
Of course, it may take a little selling with the wife.;)

I couldn't agree more. I bugged my dad since I was about twelve to get a dirtbike. He kept telling me that we couldn't afford it. I found out last year that my mom didn't like them was why we couldn't afford one. When I turned 18 I started working with a guy who changed my life. He was in his forties, had a 76 650 csr, and a bunch of bultacos. Thanks to him I now own three bultacos and my 1100. I bought my dad a 85 kdx for his birthday 4 years ago. After he finished tearing up he told my it had been 25 years since he was on a dirtbike. He now owns a Yamaha FZ6 and the kdx. We go riding almost every weekend in the summer and have never been closer. And the best part is my surly mom who hated motorcycles now is looking at a quad to go with us. So do give your wife to hard of a time. Ifyou go the dirt route also, she may surprise you and join in the fun too. Thanks for letting me rant-
Brandon

1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry