I'm really dissappointed with my choice of ....

More
21 Feb 2008 09:02 #196027 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I'm really dissappointed with my choice of ....
Yes they are 7/8. Changing bars is easy, lay a towel over tank to protect it. Usually (I forget which one) one of the controls is a stretch to install after bars are on so I remove bars (4 bolts) lay on tank and then remove controls. With new bars I loosly install controls and then install bars and take it from there. My bike has all wiring on outside of bars, earlier 650's had wiring going through bars, a lot more work. Hopefully yours are on outside, makes it 100% easier!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2008 10:24 #196046 by ZappBranigan
Replied by ZappBranigan on topic I'm really dissappointed with my choice of ....
CPTEDIV: Changing handlebars is probably about the easiest mod you can make to your bike. The only difficulty might be your cables and hoses if you go significantly larger or smaller than the stock bars.

I've always been impressed by how much a change of handlebars can dramatically affect the look of a bike, as well as how it "feels" when riding. My 82 Spectre came with the factory "buckhorn" bars that were horrible and uncomfortable. Well, $20 later (okay, $30 if you count the new grips I bought) my bike has a completely different look and a completely different feel (note: I apologize for the crappy Photobucket pictures. I still have a bit to learn about how to re-size):

Before:

After:

Note that shortly after the "after" picture was taken I replaced the too-short mirrors with longer ones:

Handlebar is the Bikemaster "Daytona" bar which is a nice compromise between the flatter "Superbike" bar and the more cruiser-ish "touring" bar. It is very comfortable even for long rides and I think it looks fantastic, too. It was even available in black to match my Spectre!

Post edited by: ZappBranigan, at: 2008/02/21 13:26

"When I'm in command, Every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zapp Branigan

82 KZ750N1 (Spectre)
24k Miles

More
21 Feb 2008 10:33 #196050 by ZappBranigan
Replied by ZappBranigan on topic I'm really dissappointed with my choice of ....
Dale: Bikemaster makes a nice variety of 7/8" bars that should fit. Just find the design you like. Mine is the "daytona" bar but I've also used the "Euro" bar (on my Thunderbird) and it was also good (although I ultimately had to put risers on to make it comfy.) You can order bikemaster bars through bikebandit.com.

Helmets: Back when I was young an foolish and lived in the Southeast (North Carolina) I wore a half-helmet too. Nice for cruising around town in hot weather but of course no protection for the face. You won't have as many problems with the wind if you're wearing it behind a windshield (notice that most of the people wearing half or 3/4 hemets are also running windshields. Now you know why.)

However, since about 2000 I've realized how much I was tempting fate by wearing a half helmet. Since then I've been on full-face helmets exclusively and I don't miss my half helmet at all, especially when I smack into a bug at 60mph! I've been using an HJC CL-14 for the last three years and I love it. I can wear it for 8-10 hours at a time without getting tired. Best of all, it was pretty affordable, at about $135 (and if I'd wanted a "plain" color I could have gotten it for about $10 less.)

So go with the full helmet. Your face will thank you!

"When I'm in command, Every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zapp Branigan

82 KZ750N1 (Spectre)
24k Miles

More
21 Feb 2008 10:55 #196060 by Locozuna
If you look at Zapp's pictures (thanks Zapp!) you will see the buckhorn LTD bars and how they will compress your wrists on a long ride. Then look at the new bars and how your wrists will be open. That is the most important issue for me. His pics are cool cause they illustrate it so good. Just use the pics and place your hands like you are holding the bars and you will see what I mean. Also on height if your bars hold you too upright you will be fighting the wind to stay upright and not go over. If too short you will be pushing yourself up. There is a balance where at your normal speed you will almost float from the wind on your chest and not be fighting to sit up one way or the other. I find clubmans too far forward and high rise to be too sit up straight (also bad for the tailbone.). Superbike bars and touring bars are pretty comfortable but as I said earlier it's how they make your wrists bend that will ultimately make you feel.
It is all about personal choices!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
21 Feb 2008 14:50 #196103 by 2M4Dale
WOW ... thanks for all the input guys !!!

You're right George .... bars are kindof like shoes. Problem is finding the set that works best for you. The most comfortable shoes would be like shoes designed for nurses .... feel great .... look like pooh ... Then you have the stylish, high end, Italian, wing tips (just an example fellas) look great but you can only stand to wear 'em for ten minutes. The correct answer is somewhere in the middle .... I'll get there !!!!

Yup ... changing bars is easy ... changing cables (well having the cables be the correct length) can be an expensive PITA ! The stocker buckhorns will be the 4th different set of bars that I've tried on my bike.

Bars I've tried to date:

Bought the bike with drag bars installed .... looked great .... put dents in the tank ... no good

Installed the mini - apes ... looked great but were very uncomfortable for me .... and then the tractor crash bent the hec out of the bars ... soooo ....

Bought "superbike" bars ... look OK ... (I think I just like the look of higher bars) I think they would be very comfortable for me ... would need to buy shorter cables and brake hose. Maybe later after I've tried out the buckhorns for a while.

The forth set will be the stock buckhorns. They should look great (OE styling and fresh chrome) ... will they be comfortable for me ... I dunno ??? We'll see ! The cables, etc. will all be the correct length.

helmets ... LMAO .... are helmets like shoes too ???
:blink: I'll be dealing with that issue in about a month or so. My Offroad helmet is a SHOEI ... great helmet. Kindof pricey but how much is ones head really worth :side: ?

Post edited by: 2M4Dale, at: 2008/02/21 17:54

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
02 Mar 2008 08:12 #197920 by 2M4Dale
I just ordered an ICON Alliance SSR full face helmet in black. It's DOT and Snell rated ... has all the modern bells and whistles ... I hope I like it !!! Pics once it arrives.

1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
10 Mar 2008 19:40 #199449 by 2M4Dale
New helmet ... looks great, feels great .... I believe this half of my issue is resolved !

OEM Buckhorns installed ... look great, feel good sitting still but only a test drive will tell the tail.

1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD