Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 25 Oct 2021 20:13 #857061

• azman857
  • azman857's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
I made the mistake of looking around ......Ummmm......I was looking around FB Marketplace in Vehicals- Motorcycles and there was this mostly complete looking LTD or CSR. Missing a seat and not by much else by it's picture. It is Mesa and the wife's son and his family lives up there and we were planning a trip there anyway and I slipped out of the group to check out the bike. It was originally listed at $500 down to $350. I offered $325 and the took it. I found a oilpan witth the oilcooler attached and snagged that for $25.I should have took pics but didn't In the morning I head back to Mesa and pick up a trailer and then the bike itself. I'll try to take some pics of the KZ 750 and it's loading. When I got a look at her she is missing a starter motor and the rear brake caliper along with the seat.The last title (yes it has one) was issued in '08. I do not recall seeing a tag so who knows how long it's been off the road..She will need a total rebuild. Outside, no dents/dings observed on the tank. Exhaust looked shiny and solid. Rear fender needs replacement but, I may have one in the parts stash. I know the stash has a starter and the 750 GPz is going to give up the ZR7 starter clutch that is in her or search ebay for one. Wiring looked surprisingly good for it's age. Some of the signal lenses will have to be replaced. Normal stuff. I'll be posting more as it happens. Untill tomorrow...
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 26 Oct 2021 22:10 #857097

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Got to Mesa AZ and got the rented trailer hooked up, no problem. The shop was just 2 blocks away. Pulled in and the KZ was pushed out. Now the shop bought this bike to part out and that might explain the missing parts. Starter, rear Lt turn signal with stalk and the Lt front foot rest and the rear fender is rusting away. It wouldn't shift out of first. So when the bike was pushed the engine turned over. Something was cluncking in there but, the engine was not locked up! The good news is I have all the major parts. Of course, all the rubber ( brake lines, tires and fuel lines) will need to be replaced. I opened up the tank and it's rusty and crusty on the inside. Luckily, I have a KZ 650 CSR parts bike and it's tank in very clean inside and It bolts right in. Oh yeah, the ignition coils and mounts are missing too. I have the mounts and some coils that can be used.
As for the engine, I have many options. Swap in the GPz engine would be the easiest. Build up a custom engine in either 650 or 750 size. Supposedly this engine has less than 7k on it. If the pistons and cylinders are OK, I can use them in the build up. Carb (Keihin CV's) will need to be rebuilt.
I forgot to ask if they had a 550 engine for a 6 sp build up.  
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 26 Oct 2021 22:39 #857101

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Attachments:

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 31 Oct 2021 19:00 #857241

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Well the day was warm and clear and nothing planned. Sounded like a perfect day for wrenching. Out comes the sockets and ratchets and the wrenches. The origninal project (KZ/GPz hybrid) got new tires last January, so the plan was to use them on this 750H. Yes the rear tire is a 16" on the H and 18" on the Hybrid. I measured and there is a 2 inch difference in height. I figure the taller wheel might make the H a better highway bike. I'll see when she is on the road. I got the rear tire installed with no problem. Used the same spacers. It was a direct bolt in. Last night I swapped in the rear fender from the parts frame(a '81 650 H). Another direct bolt in. Preety much the 650 H got spoked wheels and rear drum and 1 front disc. The 750 got triple discs and mag wheels.I don't know about the dash or electrics/electronics, but I susplect they would be very similar.Oh yeah the tanks are the same.How about some pics? The pic of the broken parts are of the removed parts that are not going back on. So far all the hardware had given me no problems during removal.
Attachments:

Last edit: by azman857.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 31 Oct 2021 20:03 #857243

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
How is the frame?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 31 Oct 2021 21:00 #857246

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Seems in good shape. No dents. Even the exhaust pipes are in good shape for being almost 40. I'm not too worried about rust as we are in southern Arizona. I should still look it over though. Thanks for the reminder. 
The only history I know of on this machine is it was bought by the shop for partlng out in 2008. Coils and rear master cylinder and clutch and front brake levers were missing and the rear fender was minor dented. Starter is missing too.Other than things being dried out the bike is in fine shape and under my care, getting better. Today the swingarm bearings got lubbed, wheel bearings on the rear wheel got new grease.I think I found the source of a clunking sound, maybe. The chain was missing an outer plate at the masterlink! The engine is in gear and I haven't been able to fine nuetral. 

Last edit: by azman857.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 01 Nov 2021 20:24 #857276

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Spent some time with the project this afternoon.took the Sprocket cover off and found a loose sprocket nut! More reason for the clunking. It was in nuetral after all. When it was so hard to push onto the trailer at the motorcycle repair shop I thought it was because it was in gear and the clunking noise. Now I think it was because of the chain and loose sprocket. That doesn't make sense because when the bike is pushed backwards, it is very difficult. Rusty chain and chain alignment? Took the alternator cover off. Very clean inside. Sprayed some penetrating oil into the cylinder to loosen up the rings. Put the plugs back in and rotated the crank to see if any compression is felt. Not much at all.I will check the valve clearance.
Parts have been ordered. Carb kits, steering bearings, allen bolt kits for case and carbs.
 I got the title from ADOT in the mail today. I submitted the paperwork Thursday. I expect the tags soon then. I went to our DMV to get the title transfer. When the lady gave me prices for 1,3 and 5 yrs registstration, I asked her if I had said that by mistake. She said if I had done just transfer, the bike would have to be brought in for inspection. If transfer and registration was done, no inspection needed. How close was the bike to running? I bought 5 yrs worth. It was cheaper in the long run anyway. I hope to have her on the road in a month.
No major mods planned. Shindigen 722(?) Rec/Reg, HID headlight and new chain and sprockets. 18" rear wheel(done) and new tires(front and rear). A digital speedo / tach and USB connection and voltmeter dash. Thats about it. 

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 02 Nov 2021 02:03 #857280

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Shindengen SH775  reg rec is the one...   Can't post ebay links for some reason....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Last edit: by 750 R1.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 02 Nov 2021 09:52 #857289

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
These were hard to find. Just FYI

www.z-power.co.uk/z750elh/footrest-mounting-rubbers-5
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 02 Nov 2021 22:59 #857320

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
I have a parts frame and a parts stash to get those rubber parts. It might help others though.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 03 Nov 2021 19:40 #857365

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Did a valve clearence check. All of the intakes were less than my thinest feeler gauge. All the Exhausts were mid specs. .0045 or so. I put my 4 thinest shims to see if this will allow the valve to close and see if there is some clearence and maybe some compression. Mounted some rear turn signals and hooked up the tail light.Mounted the fixture to mount the starter solienoid and fuses and the turn signal and hazard relays. I've found where to mount the ignitor, light checker and about eveything else. Not the Turn signal indicator. I've found it in the wiring scematics but not in the maint. manual where it is mounted. Any chance it can be bypassed along with the light checker?On the XS 650 the Trapiziod shaped device is just disconnected and thrown as far away as possible. Hopefully the turnsignal device can be too.I can remember to turn off the turn signal. Most of the time.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 04 Nov 2021 23:04 #857427

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Oct 31 I put in an order to Z1 Ent. I got it today!It was over $100 so it was free shipping. I figuredI would it would take a week. Nope!