TOPIC:

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 27 Apr 2021 16:14 #847576

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

. The Z1R disks go for stupid money. 
​​​​​​They are not that bad, but they don't show up that often so you might have to wait a while.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DOHC.

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 27 Apr 2021 18:27 #847582

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
If you have access to a lathe you could always buy some disc blanks and make your own rotors, I've just done exactly that to get 320mm front rotors for my Z1300 front wheel, its a bit of work but can be done, I also drilled them in the Z1R pattern...   Just as a matter of interest, My blanks were a tad over 320mm on outside diameter and had 50 mm centres, I removed the Z1300 carriers and used stainless steel button head bolts and stainless lock nuts to bolt the discs back onto the carriers, this is exactly how my mate {engineer} builds his discs for racing old Kawasaki's and Honda's.PS, the stainless discs are bloody hard so it takes a lot of time and care to do properly, it took me a few days to cut the disc , then drill the holes, twice on all 3 discs, Pilot holes first then the finish holes next, I used cobalt drill bits, I made a 250mm rear disc as well... I don't use smart phones so If I can get my camera to work I'll post pics of the new discs....

Last edit: by 750 R1.

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 27 Apr 2021 20:21 #847588

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

​​​​​​They are not that bad, but they don't show up that often so you might have to wait a while.

Ps:. What's up with eBay linking not working?

thats a good deal. Ive seen them go for much more than that.

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 27 Apr 2021 20:24 #847589

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

I'll post pics of the new discs....

very cool, where do you get the blanks?

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 27 Apr 2021 22:51 #847591

• 750 R1
  • User

I'm in Australia Doc, I bought them from Metalgear in Brisbane, I contacted them to see how much it would cost to refurbish mine in custom sizes and vented Z1R style, they wanted over $400 AUD per disc to do them so I just asked them if they would sell me some blanks, just happened they had 320mm blanks in the thickness i needed, at $90 dollars each i chose to do the myself....  Neat trick for drilling Z1r style pattern, they have 36 rows of holes, I blued the disc first, then used a degree wheel to mark out the spacing ,one line every 10 degrees, then scribed , 3 intersecting lines  using  the out side of the rim and a vernier, worked out awesome and quite fast, It took a lot longer to centre pop and drill the holes though....
They aren't bolted on yet, I have a pile of stuff to do before I'll be fitting wheels and brakes. The only mistake I made was I started the holes a little too far in from the edge, first attempt at making discs though, I thought they weren't too bad...

Attachments:

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 28 Apr 2021 00:28 #847592

• kzstreetfighter71
  • kzstreetfighter71's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Ps:. What's up with eBay linking not working?

Well someone thought they were a good deal in the time from your post and when I woke up..they are sold. The old bird and worm saying. 

06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 28 Apr 2021 00:38 #847593

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast

I'm in Australia Doc, I bought them from Metalgear in Brisbane, I contacted them to see how much it would cost to refurbish mine in custom sizes and vented Z1R style, they wanted over $400 AUD per disc to do them so I just asked them if they would sell me some blanks, just happened they had 320mm blanks in the thickness i needed, at $90 dollars each i chose to do the myself....  Neat trick for drilling Z1r style pattern, they have 36 rows of holes, I blued the disc first, then used a degree wheel to mark out the spacing ,one line every 10 degrees, then scribed , 3 intersecting lines  using  the out side of the rim and a vernier, worked out awesome and quite fast, It took a lot longer to centre pop and drill the holes though....
They aren't bolted on yet, I have a pile of stuff to do before I'll be fitting wheels and brakes. The only mistake I made was I started the holes a little too far in from the edge, first attempt at making discs though, I thought they weren't too bad...

I like this idea of drilling my own on my mill. The plan for this bike is to build it as if I was the 18 year old back 30 years ago when I worked in a sheet metal fabrication plant with access to everything I need to do a job but little or no money to buy new parts. It will teach me to work with what iv got rather than buy more than what I need, a year in lockdown has thought me that much. I’ll post the pics of the rotors I have. Did you need to use any particular drill bits 750R1 ? 

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 28 Apr 2021 01:50 #847595

• 750 R1
  • User
Yes, I bought cobalt drill bits, 2 sizes, its easier to drill the right size holes, I think they were 8mm, , if you drill a smaller hole first, 2 or 3 mm, I checked my drill bit with a Z1R disc to get the 8mm, I also very slightly countersunk the holes, Both sides,  to remove any slightly raised/sharp edges, the countersinking is so light you can barely see it. I did all the large holes with one bit {after using the 3mm to make the first holes}, use cutting compound/oil on every hole and take your time, there's no fast way to do it. I had a piece of ply underneath the discs while i drilled them, if I was to do it again i'd probably use some harder wood, a couple of times when i drilled through the disc the bit grabbed the ply and the whole lot took off, I constantly had my knee against the stop button...
Oh, the holes in the rear disc are smaller so i could get the same pattern/amount of holes, i think they were all the smaller 3mm bit...  270 holes all up with an extra 180 holes using the smaller bit first on the front discs, lots of drilling....!!!!

You don't have to be a 18 year old to have a limited budget..!!!  I'm very lucky to have a friend with all the right equipment and piles of skill, as I always seem to over complicate things....!

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 28 Apr 2021 03:51 #847597

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast

Yes, I bought cobalt drill bits, 2 sizes, its easier to drill the right size holes, I think they were 8mm, , if you drill a smaller hole first, 2 or 3 mm, I checked my drill bit with a Z1R disc to get the 8mm, I also very slightly countersunk the holes, Both sides,  to remove any slightly raised/sharp edges, the countersinking is so light you can barely see it. I did all the large holes with one bit {after using the 3mm to make the first holes}, use cutting compound/oil on every hole and take your time, there's no fast way to do it. I had a piece of ply underneath the discs while i drilled them, if I was to do it again i'd probably use some harder wood, a couple of times when i drilled through the disc the bit grabbed the ply and the whole lot took off, I constantly had my knee against the stop button...Oh, the holes in the rear disc are smaller so i could get the same pattern/amount of holes, i think they were all the smaller 3mm bit...  270 holes all up with an extra 180 holes using the smaller bit first on the front discs, lots of drilling....!!!!You don't have to be a 18 year old to have a limited budget..!!!  I'm very lucky to have a friend with all the right equipment and piles of skill, as I always seem to over complicate things....!

All thats is a roger mate, fairly on the money as i would do it myself. Ill lay out a pattern in cad and just print it out in 1:1 with the centres in place and glue the paper onto the disk and clear the day and put one one of your countries bands "Wolf Mother" and get it done. My only fear is that the rotors i have are... too good to drill out... if you know what i mean? I dont want to be ruining a top shelf part to make a home made part...if that makes sence? these are what i have, the disks are like new, i would say they had few thousand km one them at best they are a fraction of a mm under OEM. 

Attachments:

Last edit: by kzstreetfighter71.

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 28 Apr 2021 04:09 #847599

• 750 R1
  • User
I didn't use a pattern, as I said further up the page, I used a degree wheel, mounted it to the disc in the centre with a quickly made bracket that held it in the middle of the disc , I literally bolted the degree wheel to the disc,  blued the disc first so I could see my marks, measured accurately between the degree wheel and the disc to centre it, Tightened it up,  then made a mark every 10 degrees as there is 36 rows of holes on a Z1R disc, I removed the degree wheel then  used a steel ruler to lightly scribe the lines at the 10 degree intervals, I then used a set of verniers to lightly scribe in the 5 lines for the holes, where the lines intersected I centre punched every mark, being careful to keep the three two three pattern correct and then used the 3mm cobalt drill to drill the first set of holes, then swapped to the 8mm bit, it worked out well and was relatively quick to mark out. I used this process on all 3 discs, although I only used the 3mm bit on the rear, so I only had to drill one set of holes on that one.

I recently put a set of Z650 discs in the lathe and used some of that red material based sand paper around a small wood block to clean them up a bit, It took a lot of small marks off the discs, you might try that with yours first...

Wolf Mother were relatively popular here, I'm an old metal head/guitarist, I like a bit more grunt in my music....

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 28 Apr 2021 05:01 #847600

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast

I didn't use a pattern, as I said further up the page, I used a degree wheel, mounted it to the disc in the centre with a quickly made bracket that held it in the middle of the disc , I literally bolted the degree wheel to the disc,  blued the disc first so I could see my marks, measured accurately between the degree wheel and the disc to centre it, Tightened it up,  then made a mark every 10 degrees as there is 36 rows of holes on a Z1R disc, I removed the degree wheel then  used a steel ruler to lightly scribe the lines at the 10 degree intervals, I then used a set of verniers to lightly scribe in the 5 lines for the holes, where the lines intersected I centre punched every mark, being careful to keep the three two three pattern correct and then used the 3mm cobalt drill to drill the first set of holes, then swapped to the 8mm bit, it worked out well and was relatively quick to mark out. I used this process on all 3 discs, although I only used the 3mm bit on the rear, so I only had to drill one set of holes on that one.

I recently put a set of Z650 discs in the lathe and used some of that red material based sand paper around a small wood block to clean them up a bit, It took a lot of small marks off the discs, you might try that with yours first...

Wolf Mother were relatively popular here, I'm an old metal head/guitarist, I like a bit more grunt in my music....

Yep clever way of  figuring the problem and i get what you did in laying the holes out, the pattern im looking to reproduce is that thats on the rear and it seems to be a sweeping pattern of 4 holes in a curve. Thats way to much for me to get my head around doing it by scribing...im 100% sure i would screw that up, better leave nothing to chance. Computer aided drawing is a chunk of what i do so ill lay it out in a fractional program and go from there. Funny as I was typing the last message out this came in the post and i had forgotten about it completely, it took 4 months for it to get here from japan... Weird.

Attachments:

1978 Z1000 Barn Basket Case. 28 Apr 2021 07:22 #847610

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
I've did a few, separated the rivets! Some are bastards! aluminum & steel fused together.
I use a professional friend's business with Blanchard machine. For precision grinding.
I've downsized 7mm down to 5 mm.
I'm working on a set of Z1 / H2 6 bolt disc's currently. one was drilled, so I used that for a template with 1/4" holes.
And way back, I ruined a set of OEM Z1R front disc's on purpose! I countersunk the 4 mounting bolt holes to 45° so I could use flat head machine screws. To match that theme. This thing is still sitting.   

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.