• Page:

TOPIC:

Feb/77 built kz1000 25 May 2020 20:36 #826524

• High_jacked77
  • High_jacked77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I have a Feb/77 built kz1000
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey so I'm new here and I just wanted to show off this project I'm working on . So I have a feb/77 made kz1000 which is actually coincidentally the same month and year I was myself born haha. I have stretched out the rear end and hardtailed it. I did the fab and welding ect myself. I put a set of Honda cr500 forks on the front and I think it looks pretty mean. The tank is off a early 80s Honda or maybe even a 70s not too sure. The handle bars came off a Yamaha quad and I am going to add a suicide shift to it yet. This bike is all me and I started with a near mint kz with 12000 miles on it and I have created a monster. I will update the project I have many tricked out things I'm gonna do. I'd like to hear your comments and remarks. Thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Feb/77 built kz1000 26 May 2020 06:17 #826537

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE REST OF THE BIKE?

Feb/77 built kz1000 26 May 2020 06:19 #826538

• High_jacked77
  • High_jacked77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I have a Feb/77 built kz1000
  • Thank you received: 0
Still have it

Help Identify this wheel 26 May 2020 06:37 #826542

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Since you asked, I think it borders on criminal to do that to a "near mint" KZ.

That aside, I have some concerns. The struts look smaller (weaker) than the other frame tubes, and the bend in them will encourage flex, which will put added strain on he welds. A cross brace or two might help. At the axle end, the struts end well before the axle, which creates a lever that will put tremendous stress on the welded joint where the upper and lower tubes converge. I think the upper tubes should extend to as close to the axle as possible.
The lower tubes that replace the swingarm look pieced together, which makes me wonder about their strength.
Did you use some sort of jig to insure that the rear wheel is centered with the frame and front wheel, and is perfectly verticle and pointed exactly straight ahead?
The early KZ 1000 frames flexed a good bit at the steering head. I suspect these modifications are going to exacerbate that problem. Kawasaki redesigned that part of the frame in 1981, especially on the police bikes. You may want to mimick what the company did.
I hope you are a wiring wizard. Cutting off all those connectors will make identifying circuits even more challenging.
It is your bike and you will do it your way, but you did ask for comments.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, cb900f, hardrockminer

Feb/77 built kz1000 26 May 2020 06:53 #826543

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

High_jacked77 wrote: ................ I'd like to hear your comments and remarks.

Trust me, You don't want to hear my comments. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Dr. Gamma, hardrockminer

Feb/77 built kz1000 26 May 2020 07:08 #826545

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583

High_jacked77 wrote: ... started with a near mint kz with 12000 miles on it...

And destroyed it's value. In doing so, the value of nice Z1's and KZ1000's have increased because they have become incrementally more rare, so there is a tiny upside. We thank you for that!

There are so many already-hacked Z-bikes of little worth out there that could have been guinea pigs for experimental surgery. Nice, near-mint KZ1000's are increasingly rare and prices are rising accordingly. We suspect selling the bike in what you claim was "near mint" condition would have funded a similar scratch build with money to spare.

You asked...

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Feb/77 built kz1000 26 May 2020 07:20 #826547

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953
AS you can see our group when asked will share their opinions .
Im sure you love your creation , but reality is few will share your taste.
Other than killing the bikes value for resale at some point the historic
pattern on chopper style bike projects is they never get finished ( Maybe 10 percent do ).
Now forget the differences in personal taste , The bike as built is not safe to ride at any speed.
Nice try , but frame work is not done properly and will bite you.
By now you are probably mad at me and the others who responded but we speak from experience.
Start over , or just get a stock frame and put it back as it was .
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, SWest

Feb/77 built kz1000 26 May 2020 12:26 #826574

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599

Feb/77 built kz1000 26 May 2020 12:54 #826575

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I can't imagine why anybody would want to take a near mint vintage KZ1000 and reduce it to that pile of rubble.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Feb/77 built kz1000 26 May 2020 17:28 #826597

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
OMGosh, what a monster. If the condition of the engine speaks to the original condition of the NEAR mint bike you started with then I’m aww struck that this creation has become what was a very nice ‘77 B1.. I’m gonna keep the rest of my comments in my pocket. I two want to caution you on actually riding it in it’s current state. ITS NOT SAFE. I have a ‘77 frame if you’d like to start over.

We are not making any personal attacks on your creativity or your vision but more the bike of choice. Slmjim captured it best. You would have been further ahead to have sold the near mint 1000 and used that money towards something more roached out as a basis for your build.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Rick H.

Last edit: by Mikaw. Reason: Correct model

Feb/77 built kz1000 27 May 2020 05:22 #826639

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Hijacked 77 fits. This must in some way be a comedic post right? I know others have already taken you out to the shed on this "build", but quite honestly what were you thinking? I worked in law enforcement for over 30 years with emphasis on motor vehicle enforcement and inspection. I can honestly say I have never seen a motorcycle frame as cobbled together as yours. You may have started off with good intentions, but had you have asked for some advise before starting this project you would have been told don't do it! These bikes are finite and no more to be made. If in fact you hacked up a cherry '77 to build what you have that is simply a travesty. I realize you may not have any experience in frame building what-so-ever, but just stand back and look at the big picture here. Do you REALLY think that frame is going to make it across a set of railroad tracks without breaking in at least two pieces and perhaps more? Welding, especially frame welding is an art not learned overnight. Where is the art in your welds? Did you use coat hangers for welding rods? Please tell us this is a belated April Fools day post and that you really didn't sacrifice a nice KZ-1000 for this. If I were still working in my old job and saw this creation going down the road I would have to send for extra citation books.

By the way, don't bother with the suicide shifter, you already have a suicide bike. As a wise old cop likes to say, "My, my, my."
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Street Fighter LTD, Scirocco, BCScott, hardrockminer

Feb/77 built kz1000 27 May 2020 13:58 #826672

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
In other European countrys you will get off the road and handcuffed right away...

Only the no-max speed limit on the Highway is steet legal here in Germany, watch the Video :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edit: by Scirocco.
  • Page: