So this "little" project of mine was supposed to take roughly 2 months (back in 2012) but life happened. Here's the cliff notes version:
Bought non-running 82 KZ440 in 2011 while I was in school in TX. I spent the whole time getting her running (carbs and starter rebuild) JUST to find out on the first ride that the frame was bent. I brought it home to MD later that year, deployed to Afghanistan in 2012, found a clean titled (unbent) frame, decided to turn it into a bobber since I had a naked frame.
So since 2012 to now, I VERY slowly started working/modifying it. I amassed a ton of parts too (fatbob tanks, rebel fenders, fairings, sportster shocks,& various lights). SO now that this covid-19 b*******t has happened, I've spent my free time in the garage,again! For your enjoyment, here is project RUSTY.
Here are the most current pictures of Rusty. For anyone who is curious as why I picked Rusty as the name, well its kinda silly. I have boys and their names are 3 of the letters. Ryan (13), Sam(3), & Tucker (1). My wife had said that she wouldn't mind riding the 440 next year for Delmarva Bike week but I'm gonna try and get her running for this years. I'm getting close. I ditched the 5 gal tank idea, installed a 4x6 LED headlight, LED turns & tail light on the back, and I'm now doing the wiring.
This is the cluster I built after ditching the 5 gal fatbob tanks. I found this Suzuki dual gauge on eBay back in 2012 while in Afghanistan. Below the gauge are the turn signal indicators and oil warning lights. The switch on the left is an On-Off-On for the headlight, below that is a cigarette lighter (for now-USB plug to replace later), and on the right we have the start button and ignition.
So last night, under the guidance of the wiring diagram from Loudhvx, I tore into the OE harness, removed the components I wasn't gonna use, and cut the wires (and connectors) I was gonna use. Once I finished that, I was about to start running them but ran into a small road block, the rear fender. Now i was planning on the paint being the final step but because I've got the dual function rear turn signals, I have to finish the fender first. Mainly because there are a few extra holes that need to be filled and body work. Guess this is a good excuse to fix the fairing too.
I got the ignition, start button, and headlight switch all wired up. Next I need to send power to the outlet, DRL, and speedo lights. I went back and forth about not using it but extra lights won't hurt.