I finished up the motor earlier in the week. There were some annoying setbacks, but I got there in the end. Changes: 0.08" base spacer (copper spray gasket used as sealant), variable cam gears (intake C/L110 atdc, exh C/L 110 btdc), ZR750 oil pump, needle bearing clutch pusher, oil pan with oil galley diverter.
I made progress on the gas tank as well. I started by removing the emblem bracket things, sandblasting and used acid etch weld through primer before welding them back on:
(just like the factory, eh?)
I knew there would be holes in some areas as well. I filled these in and made a new one on accident
. I should use silicon bronze filler rod next time...
I then used evaporust to clean out the inside of the tank, washed with isopropyl and acetone, then used the caswell tank sealer kit. Now i can run E85 in this tank:
Sandblasted the rest of the outside and was planning on spraying some epoxy primer today, but it's been raining off and on all afternoon. I'll have to do that tomorrow. That's how i'll leave it until I do the rest of the painting on the bike. Bondo can lay over epoxy primer just fine after a good scuff.
Made some progress on the wiring this week. It now has a body wiring harness that is mostly complete. Need to wire up the dash and a few more sensors added to the ECU. Not too far off from more tuning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger
. Anyways, I've been finishing up the wiring and I only have a few more crimps to do at the ECU connector and its functional!
Backside of the gauge cluster. These are just power wires and fuses. The boost pressure sensor actually goes in here too because the sensor wasn't waterproof... so there's a little vacuum line going into the back of this cluster. It should hold up otherwise I can pot the sensor and move it under the seat.
First power up of the gauges
The speedo pickup that doesn't work because the sensor is the hall effect kind and only works like this with a steel rotor. I just need to remake the bracket to reach the rotor bolts.
Soooo, I started it for the first time with the turbo and all of the "recent" changes. It started right up after sitting for months and went pretty well minus a couple bad fuel system seals and leaky oil AN fittings....
The new vacuum chamber is definitely making it idle better (looks like i finally got it right!)
The exhaust sounds quite nice i think and was pretty much what i was expecting from a glasspack muffler with a turbo before it.
The pulse pump has no problem keeping up with the turbo for scavenging, and i still have good oil pressure (on startup, not sure what hot idle is yet). I need to reroute how that oil gets back into the engine because it likes to come out the breather tube...heh....
tomorrow i plan on digging into the ecu and setting up all of the new things i wired up (can bus AFR, barometer, tach output, flex fuel sensor, buttons from the dash, boost control). Then i need modify my VE table for positive pressures.
ive been tinkering with the tune and fixing my usb connection (to the ECU) issues since my last post. I just had the first proper boosted test run today where it wasnt so rich it bogged. The 650 test motor needs to go as its clutch is slipping at 5psi or above 4krpm.... just when things get rowdy.
With the turbo, the motor idles at 10psi oil pressure, so that's not great. this is exactly why the 750 turbo guys use the zr750 oil pump. the oil thermostat is still leaking a bit so that will get fixed now too.
Also, shockingly, the two wire alternator is holding up just fine with the EFI conversion! im sure the PWM returnless fuel pump helps a lot