Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 13 Jan 2021 14:52 #841676

• Saablord
  • Saablord's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
Here's another update :ohmy: I moved the missing 12/21/20 post into my post earlier today and then moved that newer stuff here so its in chronological order :)

I sorted out the AN lines and fittings for the oil feed. It starts with a M18x1.5 to 4AN adapter i found on ebay. There is a matching M10x1 to 4AN adapter in the turbo. Between are a couple AN lines and a 44u turbosmart filter. I may rework this again as i dont like how far the AN elbow sticks out under the cover.... It'd be the first thing to hit if the bike ever falls.

The main delay was the welder. I couldn't get my DC tig to do AL with any of the workarounds, so I splurged and bought a MTS 225 AC/DC tig/mig from Everlast. Heat control and bead consistency is even harder on AL, so by beads aren't the prettiest, but its good enough for now... Need to test out that pedal control.

I welded up the oil cooler. If you remember... there were slots in the mount plates to weld the tubes behind them. It got messy due to the difference in the parts, so i ground it flush to hide my sins. :laugh:

and the mount for the scavenge pump. Still need to finish the routing for these lines.

and the battery box

and the intake piping

The next thing is the wiring. I started by installing a little license plate light.

In the bottom right photo below you can see a tab welded onto the frame. Ill use plastic clips to hold the fender material to the frame through these mounts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Kawasakik1e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Saablord.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 24 Jan 2021 20:41 #842337

• Saablord
  • User
I finished up the rear fender. It looks pretty good from the outside :)

I got distracted rebuilding the vacuum chamber with my new welder. This has .06" restrictor holes compared to the .125" in the previous version and it also has a larger volume so it'll average out the map readings better. I can machine smaller restrictiors if i need to.

The turbo scavenge pump has been plumbed in... it dumps oil back into the breather cap. I've also connected the scavenge tank to this breather plate (so the scavenge pump doesnt pull vacuum through the turbo). The last line relieves crankcase pressure to the turbo inlet. I'll add a copper sponge in here as well to help condense the vapors. Technically there should be a line to the intake tract with a check valve to assist with vapor extraction off boost, but that's a bit messy with ITBs.

Made some prototype routing clamps for all the lines.

I played with one more turbo oil feed setup. Its a m18x1.5 to m10x1.0 bushing with a M10 to 4an banjo. This is lower profile but it would still get hit if the bike falls over..... So i'm keeping the old setup.

The turbo had to be pulled off to modify the internal wastegate. It opened at 20/25psi stock, so this spring lowers it down to 7psi.

....As it sits right now. I need to plumb and wire the new fuel pump , then do a test start.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 09 Apr 2021 06:25 #846426

• Saablord
  • User
I'm still alive over here

K1e lasered the rest of the flanges for me so i can finish the manifold. I also bought some 2" mandrel bends and perforated tubing so i can build a glasspack that sits under the oil pan.

I've been finishing the dash area so i can start the wiring. I designed a three gauge waterproof enclosure for my AFR, boost and oil pressure gauges. It also mounts the ignition switch and the koso speedo. I also bought a Maier small sport fairing to finish off the aesthetics.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61, Kawasakik1e

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 10 Apr 2021 11:10 #846478

• Bent Trigger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I'm diggin the waterproof cluster!! Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saablord

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 11 Apr 2021 21:42 #846560

• Kawasakik1e
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Looking good Man. Your flanges are in the mail!
The Collection-all insured, plated and ridden.
'79 KZ650 EFI/Turbo Project
'76 KZ900 "Workin' Man"
'00 ZRX1100 The Beast
'09 H-D XR1200 "XR8ted"

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 25 Apr 2021 21:34 #847469

• Saablord
  • User
Thanks k1e and Chris. email notifications are going to spam again 

Here's a better picture of the dash:

I've made more progress since the last update... The 810 motor still needs some work but I wanted to have adjustable cam gears before I dig into that. Ill be using a 750 intake cam with a 650 exhaust cam.

Fixed the kickstand so it doesnt hit the rear set during shifting:

Welded the flanges k1e sent me (and used a jig this time so the SS cant warp... not playing games ). I should've used more shielding gas on these so no pretty colors 

Made some proper brackets for the fairing:

The oil cooling system is now plumbed up. This pan doesnt have the diverter plug like the 810 motor, but it doesn't matter for testing.

Next up is making an exhaust that'll look something like this. 2" from the turbo, then it splits to dual 1.5" side exits behind the foot pegs. This sits under the oil pan.

I also need to fix the dent in the gas tank so I can coat it for E85. Then I'll get back to wiring, I swear   ... well i have done a bit of wiring, but not enought! I also bought a lift in the past few weeks (can bee seen in the last post ).... It's so much easier to work on!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 26 Apr 2021 07:13 #847480

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
lovin all the fab work!
keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 27 Apr 2021 09:21 #847536

• Saablord
  • User
Here are a couple more pictures....

The bracket and nut thing for the oil thermostat mount

Making the shell for the exhaust... Roll former and a janky press brake setup

Lookin good
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 27 Apr 2021 10:42 #847546

• Bent Trigger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Looks Great! The biggest problem I had with my Lower Fairing was getting to look even with the ground and not all angular! Sweet Progress! Chris

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 03 May 2021 08:57 #847920

• Saablord
  • User
Finished up the glasspack this week. It went pretty well but i shouldve been more careful welding the shell seam. Still hate how much SS warps

Packed with fiberglass and ready for jigging under the motor. All the ugly stuff is hidden on the top of the muffler and everything else can be sanded smooth and polished in the end.

Made a die to form 1.5" tubing to fit the vband. I plan on using aluminum for the side exits as its lighter and i dont want to mount those to the frame.

Side view. I'll add two support rods with heim joints from the frame down to the rear of the muffler.

Front view.

Pulled the dents out of the tank. Will probably sand blast this, tig a small hole or two where the seat rubbed and then prime and bondo

Hope to get the tank and exhaust finished this week :)
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 04 May 2021 08:35 #847987

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
Great work you've been doing.
Looking forward to the rest.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 10 May 2021 09:42 #848303

• Saablord
  • User
It was rainy this weekend so I finished the exhaust and started the remaining motor upgrades.

Welded the down pipe from the turbo to the glasspack.

Welded the aluminum dual exit section

Underside view

The rear glasspack mounts.

The motor in pieces     I got the head back on with the new .08 base gasket. Still need to dial in the cams and install the clutch and oil system parts 

I should be able to finish up the motor stuff in the next day or two and then get on to the tank.
Attachments: