Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 17:22 #816520

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 369
Thanks guys.
@mopguy: I like the 750H as well. Spent a bit of extra cash getting the handlebars rechromed as I didn't want to make any compromises on the riding position. My daily rider is a 2012 Hornet with a wide street bar - bit of a different story!

@nessism: Oh well, I guess we'll call this the Athena experiment :unsure: I've had good experiences with Athena in the past... If anything fails it's not too bad, Nothing that will require splitting cases. TBH I got the gasket set from Athena as it made a few hundred dollars difference compared to OEM. The oil pan gasket has been fine for about 6 weeks with oil in it :whistle:

EDIT: Saw your post on Athena gaskets. One good thing may be the fact that the base gasket isn't the same green gasket as the clutch gasket etc. It has a different texture that feels more like what I use on the Mini. Also, not green Looks like I was getting confused with the valve cover gasket. Can definitely see some green between the cylinders and crankcase... Let the experiment begin :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by calum.

KZ750H Restoration 06 Jan 2020 04:48 #816532

• calum
  • User
Here are some photos of the repair I had to do on two of the exhaust stud holes. They split when I was extracting the bolts (got 6 out with heat and patience, two of them just wouldn't come out). The first photo isn't very good but you can just see the hairline crack. Ground out the side walls with a dremel and got a local guy to weld them up for me. Then spent lunch time at school in the woodwork room throwing together a rig for the drill press. Used some long 6mm threaded rod to make sure the holes were in line. Studs ended up perfect when I put the exhaust on.

Attachments:

KZ750H Restoration 06 Jan 2020 04:51 #816533

• calum
  • User
Cleaned up the coils and replaced the leads and caps (NGK). Took a page out of Nessisms book and reused the sheaths from the original leads.

Attachments:

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 06:44 #816686

• jayrodoh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
I rode one of those for awhile while I restored my XJ. Was a fun bike and it's cool to see one getting restored! There was a member on here that had a NOS complete exhaust system on here for sale, it was awhile ago but might still be available if you were looking to go that route.

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 08:53 #816693

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
By jayrodoh: .... There was a member on here that had a NOS complete exhaust system on here for sale, it was awhile ago but might still be available if you were looking to go that route.

That was me and it's still available, but he already installed a new Delkevic system. in case somebody else is interested. hee.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 09:30 #816695

• jayrodoh
  • User

martin_csr wrote: By jayrodoh: .... There was a member on here that had a NOS complete exhaust system on here for sale, it was awhile ago but might still be available if you were looking to go that route.

That was me and it's still available, but he already installed a new Delkevic system.

Yessir it was. I was just mentioning it as I know some resto's have received aftermarket exhaust simply due to the fact it is so hard to track down NOS exhaust stuff.
1982 KZ750-M1 CSR
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 11:10 #816708

• calum
  • User
Thanks guys. I was interested in an original exhaust but all of the ones available over here had a bit too much rust for the cost. Now that I have the Delkevic I've blown my budget :) Especially if I needed to get it shipped from the US!

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 11:42 #816709

• calum
  • User
Carbs reassembled. New stock jets, zinc plated parts (choke lever and the two main brackets nickel plated) and new chromed tops. Polished up the carb bodies as I cant stand the matt grey finish. Not the best polishing job but will hit the outside ones with a dremel when everything else is done.

Before:

After:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 11:47 #816710

• calum
  • User
Question for you guys about the throttle and choke plates: I used green (2701) loc-tite and lock washers instead of staking. I figure once the loc-tite has cured this will be bomb-proof. Thoughts?

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 12:34 #816712

• jayrodoh
  • User

calum wrote: Question for you guys about the throttle and choke plates: I used green (2701) loc-tite and lock washers instead of staking. I figure once the loc-tite has cured this will be bomb-proof. Thoughts?

I've used loctite on all my carbs for the throttle plates with zero issues over the years. Heating a little to remove later (if I ever have to again) beats filing the back of the screws off.

Never used green before but after reading up on its application I don't think you'll have any issues.

Your carbs look great!
1982 KZ750-M1 CSR

Last edit: by jayrodoh.

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 12:41 #816714

• calum
  • User
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear ;)

I'm pretty happy with how the carbs came out. Hoping I don't have any issues when I put them to use!

KZ750H Restoration 09 Jan 2020 20:26 #816799

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 256
I'm not worthy!!! Hahahaha! Your carbs look fantastic. Great job!
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker