Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 06:34 #806744

• Webbie1
  • Webbie1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I got her home and started taking a look at her. I posted a photo of what it looked like as I unloaded it off of my truck, and then another photo after literally just spending 15 minutes cleaning a few areas with a scrubby sponge and dawn. I'm encouraged by how clean most of it is coming, including some chrome pieces that I feared may be pitted beyond cleaning. The front fender looks almost new. I'm sure with the parts removed, and some real polish, most of the parts will be reusable.

Same with the gas tank....when I got it open (the little flip cover needed some encouragement), there was a big vacuum sound when I opened it. So that means there's no leaks. There was still about a gallon of 22 year old gas in it.....okay, rust-tea really. I dumped that out and when I first looked in the tank, I wondered if it was going to be usable. But after spending some time with my pressure washer nozzle in there, hitting it from every angle that I could, it looks WAY better. Next I'll give it the metal rescue treatment (my plan is to use just 1 gallon, and set it up on a modified rotisserie to splash that stuff around everywhere. The tank has no dents.....some rust around the cap area, but I don't think it's too bad.

I also got it winched into the room that I had setup for this project. Just getting it into the room with our 90+ degree temps and high humidity proved to me that it was worthwhile setting up this room.

After the gas tank, I'm not really sure what's the next logical thing to attack....

Warner

Warner
1979 KZ1000 LTD, 1982 KZ1000 LTD, 1990 Honda CBR1000F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 06:52 #806747

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
congrats on getting it home!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webbie1

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 06:54 #806748

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
NICE B)

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 07:29 #806750

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Nice. What a difference a little wash can make.

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 07:30 #806751

• Webbie1
  • User
Thanks guys....I got it winched into the room where I'll be working on it. It'll be nice to have heat and A/C while I work on it.

Warner

Attachments:

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 09:24 #806758

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
I'd roll up that berber carpet so it won't get ruined.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78z1Joe

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 09:49 #806760

• Oldjeep
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
First thing I would do is to make sure you havn't put any water into the cylinders via the carbs. There appears to be water sitting in the airbox inlet in the picture with the seat up.
Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 10:30 #806765

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
As you will soon find out, when soaking anything in a chemical, it is important to completely submerge the item, or you will cause "lines" in the metal that can not be removed. In your case, partially filling the tank with metal rescue will not render the same results that filling it will. The chemical becomes contaminated with the rust and looses it's effectiveness. There are ways to make less chemical fill the same void by using a plastic bag filled with water on the inside, and metal rescue on the outside.. I would figure at least 2 gallons ( I bought 4 gallons) . I figure the $$ into the tank repair. Fill it to the brim, and let it sit. The metal rescue will do it wonders. :-)

Also, it seems that aluminum turns into mush when exposed to the chemical. Don't let the petcock sit in the stuff. I also removed the sender, but that would probably have lived through the cleaning.

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 10:41 #806767

• Webbie1
  • User

old_kaw wrote: As you will soon find out, when soaking anything in a chemical, it is important to completely submerge the item, or you will cause "lines" in the metal that can not be removed. In your case, partially filling the tank with metal rescue will not render the same results that filling it will. The chemical becomes contaminated with the rust and looses it's effectiveness. There are ways to make less chemical fill the same void by using a plastic bag filled with water on the inside, and metal rescue on the outside.. I would figure at least 2 gallons ( I bought 4 gallons) . I figure the $$ into the tank repair. Fill it to the brim, and let it sit. The metal rescue will do it wonders. :-)

Also, it seems that aluminum turns into mush when exposed to the chemical. Don't let the petcock sit in the stuff. I also removed the sender, but that would probably have lived through the cleaning.

Attachment not found

They say a gallon will "consume" a half pound of rust. They also claim it's safe "for everything except rust".

Not true??

Thanks,

Warner

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 10:42 #806768

• Webbie1
  • User

Oldjeep wrote: First thing I would do is to make sure you havn't put any water into the cylinders via the carbs. There appears to be water sitting in the airbox inlet in the picture with the seat up.

That was from my spraying it down....those carbs are coming off soon though....

Warner

Last edit: by Webbie1.

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 12:58 #806775

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Webbie1 wrote: They say a gallon will "consume" a half pound of rust. They also claim it's safe "for everything except rust".

Not true??

Thanks,

Warner

Manufacturer's make all kinds of claims to sell their stuff. Maybe it will consume a pound of rust per gallon, then again, it may go half way, then again, maybe not. ? Who knows? Give it a shot. It is supposedly safe for everything, EXCEPT some reds that use iron oxide for the paint pigment.
I had some aluminum yammy parts in it a few years ago, and they weren't the same after. Just sayin..

Remember that it isn't meant for aluminum, and a petcock that has been discontinued for 30+ years may not be easy to replace.

As with anything, use at your own risk.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Brought her home... 01 Jul 2019 13:16 #806778

• Webbie1
  • User

old_kaw wrote:

Webbie1 wrote: They say a gallon will "consume" a half pound of rust. They also claim it's safe "for everything except rust".

Not true??

Thanks,

Warner

Manufacturer's make all kinds of claims to sell their stuff. Maybe it will consume a pound of rust per gallon, then again, it may go half way, then again, maybe not. ? Who knows? Give it a shot. It is supposedly safe for everything, EXCEPT some reds that use iron oxide for the paint pigment.
I had some aluminum yammy parts in it a few years ago, and they weren't the same after. Just sayin..

Remember that it isn't meant for aluminum, and a petcock that has been discontinued for 30+ years may not be easy to replace.

As with anything, use at your own risk.

Good call on the petcock....thanks. I won't get the rotisserie (AKA tank turner) until tomorrow so that's not going to happen before tomorrow night or Wednesday, depending on when it's delivered.

Warner

Warner
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw