Modernization of my 77 KZ900

More
22 Mar 2018 09:01 #780617 by BOOM_FIST
Modernization of my 77 KZ900 was created by BOOM_FIST
Hey KZR,

Thought I'd bring you all along with the progression of my fun project. A little back story...

Starting off, I had a 88' Suzuki Katana 600 for my first bike back in 2001 when I joined the military. Learned and owned that for about a year. Planned on getting a newer GSX-R 600 when I felt comfortable enough, but found out I was having a baby girl at the young age of 19. Fast forward to 2005 after I got out of the military, I wanted another motorcycle. Found a decent 92' Yamaha FZR 600 for $900. Tinkered with that and enjoyed it for about a year and a half and was planning on upgrading again, like before. Nope, found out I was having a boy! I love kids and especially my own, so don't think I was upset with having to sell my bikes! I have the mindset that I will always get another bike...maybe not exactly when I want it, but it'll happen in due time.

So, after 2 more kids and about 10 years later, I was in the market for another bike. My taste had changed, but I still wanted something sporty'ish. I'm not getting any younger so a new sport bike wasn't an option, plus my wife wanted to be able to enjoy riding with me too. A buddy of mine has a nice 74 900 that was his Dad's and I always loved his bike every time he rode it around. I could hear him before I could see him and that's what I fell in love with first...the sound! All black with that classic style look and it is fast. Everything that I liked. My wife even commented on how cool his bike was and that I should get one of those. After searching for a few months I came across one right up the street from me in amazing condition. It was perfect. I love it. My wife loves it. Win/Win.

After riding it about 1500 miles in stock form, I've come to realize, like many of you have as well, that it's 70's era handling/braking technology was in dire need of modernization! Anyways, that's what I'm in the middle of as we speak.

After researching and asking many questions, I sourced out a set of forks and swing arm off of a 97 Suzuki Katana 600. Wheels, brakes, tires, triples, shock, and a bunch of other misc pieces. So far, it's been fairly easy to mock up and test fit pieces. It's scary how easy these pieces are coming together like it was made for it.

Ask any questions you may have if you're going through this same stage of your build and I will be more than happy to assist in any way I can!

Enjoy...

-Tom

1977 KZ900A5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
22 Mar 2018 09:47 #780620 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Modernization of my 77 KZ900
Glad for you Tom .
But the key word here is PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!
We are a visual group of KZ Fans
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
22 Mar 2018 10:17 #780624 by BOOM_FIST
Replied by BOOM_FIST on topic Modernization of my 77 KZ900
Haha, I know, Dave! I've been digging through pictures on my phone to send to myself and upload them on here! Just not fast enough!

1977 KZ900A5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

More
22 Mar 2018 11:29 #780627 by BOOM_FIST
Here are a few that I have. Will definitely keep this updated with pics.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

1977 KZ900A5

More
22 Mar 2018 11:30 #780628 by BOOM_FIST

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

1977 KZ900A5

More
22 Mar 2018 11:33 #780629 by BOOM_FIST

1977 KZ900A5
Attachments:

More
27 Mar 2018 11:28 #780898 by BOOM_FIST
Got to mess with the stems some today. Got the Katana stem pressed out (a big thanks to bikezblue for the replacement KZ stem) and got to measure the differences between the 2 stems. The mounting base of the KZ stem is 28mm OD while the Katana stem is 30mm OD. So, I need to find a very thin walled sleeve or try and have my buddy mill a sleeve out of the Katana stem...but either way, that's where I'm at with getting the front mounted back up. The only other thing I'm waiting for on the front is replacing fork seals and filling them with fresh oil.

The rear swing arm and mono-shock mock up is actually looking really good. Need one bushing and then I'm ready to mount the wheel and have my buddy help weld a top mounting point across the frame. Location of the mounting point TBD.

1977 KZ900A5
Attachments:

More
27 Mar 2018 11:31 #780899 by BOOM_FIST

1977 KZ900A5

More
02 Apr 2018 11:43 #781155 by BOOM_FIST
Crazy busy past week and weekend. Might be able to mess around in the garage tonight. Still trying to figure out how I want to mate the KZ stem into the Katana lower triple. There's a 1mm gap to fill. Too small for a sleeve I think...thought of welding up the gap, but a buddy of mine thinks the Katana lower triple might be cast iron??? Anyone know? That way we cool it down properly as not to crack it.

Other than that, will probably tackle the front fork seals now that I have a 6mm allen wrench for the drain bolt. Will clean up the cuts on the frame with the grinder too.

1977 KZ900A5

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Apr 2018 11:53 #781157 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Modernization of my 77 KZ900
I'd think building up the KZ stem then milling it down to spec would be easier and safer.
Steve

More
02 Apr 2018 12:05 #781158 by BOOM_FIST
We also thought of that...finding somewhere around here that does it, is the problem!

1977 KZ900A5

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Apr 2018 12:07 #781159 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Modernization of my 77 KZ900
If they have a lathe it could be done easier than drilling a plumb and square hole. IMO
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOOM_FIST