Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Tribute Bike 15 Oct 2017 21:04 #773034

• Oldschoolkz1000
  • Oldschoolkz1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I have decided to redo the bike I have. The bike I have is a 1980 KZ1000. It belonged to my friend, a long time friend, someone I called my brother. He passed away 11 years ago, the family contacted me last year and asked if I wanted the bike. Of course I said yes. At the time of his death I have known JB for over 32 years. With all that said, I am going to strip the bike and start from scratch. From time to time I will ask some advise. I will continue to post pictures of the progress. Thank you all for helping me bring my brothers bike back to life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tribute Bike 16 Oct 2017 07:00 #773044

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Moved from Engine forum

KZQ wrote: Hi Folks,
Please read the description of this "Engine" forum before posting here. Seems that a lot of newer members post topics, that belong elsewhere, in this forum just because it's at the top of the listing. In the past we (the Admin Team) have just moved those threads to the proper forums and left a pointer to where the thread was moved. Unfortunately, the pointer thingy doesn't work very well in this version of the software. The end result is that if a thread is posted in the wrong forum we will move it to where it belongs. Once moved that thread may not be easily found. Hopefully this will not result in "Who Deleted My Post?" complaints. I'll leave this thread here for a time and then work it into the forum rules. Thanks for your cooperation. Bill

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Tribute Bike 16 Oct 2017 18:06 #773083

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 511
That's a nice gesture to do for an old past friend! Early style drag bikes are very simple. Plenty of parts are floating around regular on eBay. I know 3 guys in Ohio, A guy in Topeka, KS. As your finding out all these old bikes were mis-matched hybrids of parts The engine with the "E" says Mark II case. I always buy shaft drive 1000's for the cases when I can. I have a few saved. But with a 16 tooth bottom pin in center of crank, crank is welded! with a 124 tooth cam chain, then 32 tooth cam sprockets. You got to be careful when putting these old engines together with different parts. When this is all apart show us the engine pics! BUT I would not think the CC's are that big 1428?? that is a lot of modifying! Lots of oil leaks with those big cylinder liners and bored out cases But good bones. Nice wheels that will polish up like new! Nice swing arm.
Please! RAKE the frame neck! (I'll post a pic of mine!!! jpg[/attachment] ]100_1563.JPG[/attachment] ) It needs to for the classic drag bike look!
And change the Z1R Tank to smaller LTD tank, (But if it was your friend who wanted that tank?) then keep it!!!
Then, I would down size to a 1075cc .410 lift cams that use shim on top like stock oem's. More rideable on the street if you plan that? Or will you drag race it only?
Spend some time and give us a story and your ideas.
I gave up on this stuff, life is too busy and I'm old and broken & worn out!. I sold off most my good parts. But have a couple things sitting for too many years! Yea! I know! read and heard all about those wasted project bikes. Plus I hang with some Nostalgia A/A Gasser Guys that go up the around the east coast.
But nice choice! Build that Old KZ like a Pro-Stock bike from the late 70's. There are plenty of fabricators on this site that build items now. A lot of guys here on this site that know a lot of other guys all over the country. But Dragbike style is not on top of list on this forum.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Tribute Bike 17 Oct 2017 19:54 #773185

• Oldschoolkz1000
  • User
You are right I am finding out that the bike is a bit mismatched, but I'll make do. Nice bike you have, here are a few pics from when I picked it up and now. also 1 pic of the intake port.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Oldschoolkz1000.

Tribute Bike 18 Oct 2017 07:13 #773211

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
Why the need to change so many things on that bike? I'd just sort out the electrical to have a reliable system, ad whatever lights are needed and run it as-is.....maybe lose the NOS bottle though.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Tribute Bike 18 Oct 2017 15:22 #773252

• Oldschoolkz1000
  • User
Not changing things, take apart to clean up and put back together. Sent out the struts, I want to Black Chrome the frame and swing arm. Hoses, cables, are all shot and need to be replaced.

Tribute Bike 18 Oct 2017 15:24 #773254

• Oldschoolkz1000
  • User
Bike ready for paint, powder, what ever. It will look new when done.
Attachments:

Tribute Bike 21 Oct 2017 00:17 #773370

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
that is a some radical porting! specs on this motor?

Tribute Bike 21 Oct 2017 14:32 #773401

• Oldschoolkz1000
  • User
From what I have been told it is a 1480. That is all I know for now, I am sending the engine out to find out what it is exactly, and to have it cleaned up and freshened up.

Tribute Bike 07 Nov 2017 17:36 #774323

• Oldschoolkz1000
  • User
I am thinking about a mono shock, can anyone give me advise about the geometry.

Tribute Bike 07 Nov 2017 19:11 #774328

• Oldschoolkz1000
  • User
can anyone help identify these carbs?
Attachments:

Tribute Bike 07 Nov 2017 19:25 #774330

• Oldschoolkz1000
  • User
sorry for the duplicate post.