Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 04 Oct 2016 14:07 #744471

• PtownSLUG
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Ah, so this is what they're going on. Cool man. Can't wait to see them on.
81 GPz 550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 04 Oct 2016 18:28 #744493

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Yup!

I just ordered fork springs off Amazon too. Same price and vendor on ebay but going through Amazon is easier if you have issues. I'm going to swap over the gauges and such so I might as well crack open the fork tubes and drop those babies in there. I'll post pics as soon as it looks significantly different from when I bought it.

i was just out in the garage and I have a little bit of gas on the floor. It looks like I have a carb over flowing a little or T- connector that's leaking a bit. It has a fairly full tank right now and it hasn't run since Sunday due to weather so she's just a bit restless. It's a bit of a mess since there are no overflow tubes. The gas has just dribbled over pretty much anything around and below it before it's run down the center stand to the floor. I'll go grab some gas line to hook up to the overflow tubes. I'll get clear ones to check the levels.

I did get the starter yesterday and it looks pretty good. I'll pull the rear cover off in a day or 2 to see if it needs brushes or anything else. I might have time to do a little work on it this weekend.

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 31 Oct 2016 04:52 #746657

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I got a little progress done this weekend.

The fuel leak turned out to be oil. I over filled the oil the last time I topped it off so it appears I was blowing a little out the PCV. However, my petcock is leaking like crazy with the tank off so it looks like I'll need to address that. The fuel line was rotten so I've bought some replacement tubing and a fuel filter to put on too.

I got the shocks on and the fork springs in. It looks like it already had aftermarket springs in it but IDK whose. they definitely weren't Progressives. I changed the fork oil and dropped the springs in. I just kept the spacers that were in there. They are a little longer than recommended but I can always trim them down.

I put the starter in, it works well so far. My battery is a little low so I'll have to charge it a bit before I'm satisfied. I might have to replace the solenoid or service the start switch, It was acting up the last couple of times I used it.

I'm about half way into swapping the instruments over. The UK speedo didn't have the chrome ring that holds the bezel on so I had to peel the one off the UK tach I have.

I forgot to get a batwing tool for the valve shims. One of the local shops carries them so I'll pick one up on the way home. That way I'll check and adjust the valves and balance the carbs as I'm putting it all back together.

Oh yeah! I found a pair of good condition matching side panels and a NOS matching rear fender. They should all be here by the end of the week.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 18 Nov 2016 06:33 #748219

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Things are going a little slow.

I put the instruments back on and the KOSO volt meter on. The KOSO is kind of a neat little unit it does voltage, time and ambient outside temperature. I plugged the constant power wires into the front accessory plugins and spliced the key on to one of the running light wires and was up and running. I'm not too thrilled about the velcro mounting. It's mounted directly on the fork clamp cover right now with no modifications which looks crappy. The cover isn't in the best shape so I think I'm going to drill a hole for the wires to pass through and use body trim tape to hold it more securely. Funny thing, when I opened the package to install it only had Japanese instructions. That's probably why I got such a good deal. It's not that complicated and was sure I knew how it should be installed but I just double checked by finding English instructions on KOSO's US web page.

I got the rear fender in and it was perfect. It was pretty east to swap over. I put the tank back on. It had leaked out abut a half tank worth of gas which was almost everything that was in there. I had it sitting outside under a tarp since I didn't have a large enough gas can to drain it into. It also looks like I scuffed the rear lower corner against the wall when I was unsuccessfully trying to situate it to minimize fuel loss. It needed a touch up for the rock chip anyway. I found an almost perfect match Duplicolor touch up pen at Pep Boys. It's a Chrysler color, Inferno Red Metalic, I tested it on a bad spot on one of my replacement side panels and is just the slightest bit off and should be almost unnoticeable unless you are looking for it.

Oh yeah, I pulled the aftermarket radio/intercom system off. If anyone is interested it's available with an XL helmet. It works as far as I know, it turns on and the PO said it needs an antenna for the CB to work. An unused cell phone plug in wire was rubbed down to bare wire through the insulation from where he had it tucked away.

I'll post pics as soon as I get it completely back together and it's had a half decent wash.

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 18 Mar 2017 13:51 #757010

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Crap, I can't see any of the pics I've posted!

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 18 Mar 2017 17:30 #757045

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I got it running today! I took it for a 30 mile check run. Running great the only things I have to complain about is the clutch cable needs adjustment and the tach is bouncing above 6k.

I got it up to a ton. "How would you know that on a '82 Kawi?" you say.

Because I have a UK speedo on it. I didn't realize I was only in 4th until after I had started to drop speed and by that time I was out of room to take it back up.

Here's pics of it along the way. Can you spot all the changes so far?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 19 Mar 2017 07:03 #757106

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Here's some pics from the first post if you can't see them.

Attachments:

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 01 Apr 2017 22:42 #758315

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Working out some Spring time bugs.

Put in a new battery, put on the grab bar and am working out some gauge issues.

I thought the clutch was slipping but it turns out the clutch cable was pulling out of the clevis. I adjusted the cable and it popped out a block down the road. I went to lunch, swung by the independent bike shop got a new cable and now it's working fine.

Pic just before the cable came undone.

Attachments:

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 23 Apr 2017 07:44 #760008

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I had to put a new starter clutch In yesterday. I then took it for a nice benches run. Not a great distance but the left foot peg, I actually think it was the centerstand foot pad, got a bit of a scrape on a chicane-ish turn along the way.

This is how it's going to look for at least a year. I need to reduce the preload on the forks a little. The tach is still bouncing so I'll swap that for the uglier but more functional spare. It's seeping oil from a few places as the PO or his mechanic was a bit lax in using gaskets thinking RTV would do the trick.... it didn't. However I have other projects to give my attention so for now I'll live with it.

Attachments: