Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 02 Dec 2019 13:37 #814852

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Okay guys, a proper update for you. I know it's been a real slow burner over the last year but now that I have the motor finished I have renewed vigour for the Z1R! Now that the motor is in the frame I am working through figuring out the last remaining parts that I don't have (the perils of building a bike from a frame!) Wiring is my next major to tackle. Oh and getting the motor to run! Boxes have been arriving furiously from Japan and the USA so I have a plenty to do over the Christmas holidays!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by larriken.

Kiwi Z1R 08 Dec 2019 10:57 #815080

• larriken
  • User
Opened up the boxes and digging through the bits I need. Found a good battery box in Japan which was a total bonus. I only need the top bits on each side but I have been searching for them for ages so well stoked. Dropping them off to the powder coaters today. Also scored a clutch and front brake perch and levers, and finally a throttle tube. Lots and lots of little bits, and still lots to go lol!

Kiwi Z1R 08 Dec 2019 10:59 #815081

• larriken
  • User
Couldn't resist a quick spin round the block. Probably should have put my helmet on. Safety first.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, slayer61

Kiwi Z1R 15 Dec 2019 16:30 #815407

• larriken
  • User
If you are in New Zealand and need polishing done, hit up Wanganui Electroplaters! Awesome job, great rates, and beats me getting covered in shit. Shiny shit is great!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: KZmarcel

Kiwi Z1R 15 Dec 2019 17:02 #815408

• larriken
  • User
I got so excited I had to hang a few bits of the motor to make me happy lol.

Not sure on this one. Might go with the DOHC original style. Didn't get that one polished though!

Kiwi Z1R 15 Dec 2019 17:30 #815410

• larriken
  • User
You also may have noticed a really, really, ugly looking oil pressure gauge fitted in the above photos. I have bought a gauge and fittings a while back and thought it would be a good time to fit it it. I promptly broke it and made up a fitting from bits I had in the shed. Looks totally shit so I will have to go to version 3 :)

Version 2, not a pretty looking thing at all.

Kiwi Z1R 15 Dec 2019 17:38 #815412

• larriken
  • User
You'll remember that I have been pondering the best way to lay down the rear shocks a little. Finally just bought a PMC laydown bracket. It's for early Zeds not the Z1R but by my reckoning it looked like it would fit. Well, it didn't but I am still happy as cos it positions the shocks exactly where I want them! I have taken the brackets off down to my mate the engineer to see get him to draw a new set and CNC them for me. Just need to lengthen the rear bolt mount as the swingarm I have has the mount hole further back. I am also going to get the new bracket to space the shock out another 4mm from the bike so that I can clear the shock on the rear brake caliper stay arm. All going well I'll have that one sorted some time in the new year.

Kiwi Z1R 18 Dec 2019 15:44 #815578

• larriken
  • User
Clutch cover installed, new site glass installed, bolted up ready to go! Only a few to go lol

Kiwi Z1R 18 Dec 2019 15:48 #815579

• larriken
  • User
Finally got the old magneto and starter clutch off the spare crank I acquired. Waiting on new bushes and springs and I will put it all back to together and onto the Z1R. New roller bearing which was in stock down at the local bearing shop! Didn't expect that.

Kiwi Z1R 23 Dec 2019 22:03 #815801

• larriken
  • User
Still chugging away putting the starter clutch and magneto back together. Getting closer. Had a read of the manual and found out that there are three sizes of the rubbery washer that goes at behind the big sprocket. Measured it up and as per the workshop manual and I need a thinner washer, marked with one start not two. Also pulled the starter clutch apart, cleaned it up, replaced all the moving bits and put it back together. Just waiting on the new washer to come and the whole lot can be bolted back up and called done.

Last edit: by larriken.

Kiwi Z1R 23 Dec 2019 22:11 #815802

• larriken
  • User
Finally got time to put in the PMC easy pull clutch together too. Pretty straight forward to put together. Being able to read Japanese would have been a bonus but got there in the end. Haven't fitted it up yet as still waiting on me to finish the starter rebuild and a neutral indicator switch. Once they're done and fitted I will close it up and fit the external cover. Looks too pretty to be hidden behind a cover lol. Main reason I went with this setup is that I have no clutch so I thought if I have to buy something, might as well give this a go. Fingers crossed, but to be fair I'll have nothing to compare it to so if it's it shit I'll never know!!

Kiwi Z1R 23 Dec 2019 22:15 #815803

• larriken
  • User
While I was on a furious mission to get things moving along again...............I dropped the battery box parts round to the powder coaters and got those back. Nice job and finally another piece of the puzzle coming together. Been trying to track these parts down for soooo long so well happy to tick this job off.