Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 15 Apr 2015 10:20 #668065

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2628
I had to grab the front brake and damn near did the flying W. Some chick decided to stop in the middle of the road. I was at 55. Bitch!.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 15 Apr 2015 10:21 #668066

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2628
I'm going home now, I'll check back in later.
Steve

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 15 Apr 2015 19:03 #668127

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Ed, hopefully this will help you out with your wheel swap
kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/597812-kz400...swap-tutorial#668125

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 16 Apr 2015 11:38 #668219

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • I_Tig_in_piece's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14

swest wrote: I had to grab the front brake and damn near did the flying W. Some chick decided to stop in the middle of the road. I was at 55. Bitch!.
Steve

Years ago when I was riding on the freeway, i got cut off by an old man. (like he shoulda been at home on his recliner watching John Wayne flicks old) Didn't quite understand how he could've done it? He passed me on my left and literally started changing lanes before passing me completely. He still needed a quarter panel of car to pass me up. Lol. No drastic maneuvers needed to be taken, thankfully it wasn't bumper to bumper. That morning somebody had already "shat in my cereal" so I did a stupid and pulled up next to him(were still the freeway mind you) knocked on his pass. window and gave him my long finger. Outta all my years driving/riding, that was my only "road rage" moment that I acted upon.

DoctoRot wrote: Ed, hopefully this will help you out with your wheel swap
kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/597812-kz400...swap-tutorial#668125

That's icing on the cake! One thing I used different from your list of needs was using the 440s upper and lower triple. Man I can't wait to get to the shop! Got 2 gnarly cars to get tuned today an tomorrow, a 55g of c-16 and another 55 of ethanol(I'm getting light headed already). Don't like welding when a cars screaming on the dyno. Dyno needs fans, Tig and fans don't mix?.lol So I think I know what I'll be able to get started on a little early today.
Thanks Vic, hopefully in the future I can share some useful info here.

ed
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 16 Apr 2015 12:23 #668228

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
Got a "very impressive" pair of cnc'd clip-ons from eBay. I'll admit to buying Chinese knock offs. There's some things you'll get and know right away if you should just throw it in the trash now. Soooo here's the clip ons. tell me what you think. I'm only gonna change out the hardware to 8 grade ss instead of their 4..

3 adjustable angles. There's a recess for two tiny ball bearings on both the bar mount and tube mount to me them interlock and not budge.

I gotta take it apart again, then I'll get a pic of what I mentioned above.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.
Attachments:

Last edit: by I_Tig_in_piece. Reason: forgot a pic.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 18 Apr 2015 13:21 #668565

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

I_Tig_in_piece wrote: One thing I used different from your list of needs was using the 440s upper and lower triple.

Yeah use your 440 yokes and don't shorten the forks and you should be good to go B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: I_Tig_in_piece

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 23 Apr 2015 00:22 #669237

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
Yup I'm still doing it! Works been swamped getting some cars ready for shiftsector this weekend. Anyways, I got my tires on Monday, excited about that..

got the front squared away, thanks to Docs very helpful info..didn't put the rotor on yet cause I didn't wanna screw up my paint job.

Was gonna order up some tubes now but just wanted to get a few other second opinions on sizes. From a posted chart on another forum I was looking at on google, it seems like I can get away with a 325-350 tube for front and back. My tires are AM26s 90/90x18F and 110/90x18R. Or should I do a 375-410 for the rear? Thank you in advance once again...

ed
Attachments:

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 23 Apr 2015 15:46 #669320

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
I would go with the bigger tube in the back.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 25 Apr 2015 15:21 #669534

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
Finally had some free time so got the front torn down again so I can install my refurb'd rotor...
I'm thinking I shoulda painted this or the caliper a different color from each other. They might clash, but I'll know soon enough..

The rotor before getting pampered and the spacer that needed machining. Decided to weld a dust cover for the seal since the 400s axle spacer had one.
[atachment=83757]image-23.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments:

Last edit: by I_Tig_in_piece. Reason: forgot things.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 26 Apr 2015 21:54 #669718

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
I finally got the front squared away brake wise, just waiting for my banjos so I can make some brake lines.
So moved towards the back and fabbed up a new brake stay. I think it came out pretty decent, still gonna brace it a little on the earlier fabbed spacer for the wheel.
Adjustable mount I milled out for the new brake stay. Made it too adjustable though.

New location for said mount..

A top view of it all together..

side shot..

Bottom looking towards the back..

Originally I was gonna take a .120 wall tube and cut it in half to make a C shape, then have that rest on top of the swingarm. I'm sure it wouldn't have moved once the axle nut was tighten down. So I think I went a lil overboard? Now just gotta figure out how to get the lever connected once I get my new rearsets on/fabbed.

Last edit: by I_Tig_in_piece.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 01 May 2015 17:11 #670340

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
All that's left is a brake line(on it's way, Thanks Mike), fiddle with tire a bit to get it to seat squarely around the rim. Mechanically, the front is 90% done more or less. Mounting 90/90 Avons with a tube is a little tough.

Should I air the tube up to what the tire would hold tubeless?

ed
Attachments:

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 02 May 2015 08:33 #670375

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
rear tire mounted.

Gonna paint the brake housing and cush hub. Or maybe polish it a bit so it'll match the hub? Then back in it's place.
Attachments: