81 440 Ltd project

• jessemartin07
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2014 16:01 - 24 Mar 2014 16:08 #626408 by jessemartin07
81 440 Ltd project was created by jessemartin07
I'm 20 years old and just purchased a 1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd. I don't have much experience with fixing up motorcycles. I've attached a picture of the bike and a render I made of some of the modifications/restoration I would like to do to it. I don't have too many questions yet as I just started thinking about the project, just wondering everyone's thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,
Jesse

Attachment bike.jpg not found

Attachment 10154465_10202658665640874_1180591211_n.jpg not found

07 Yamaha YZF600R
08 Ninja 250R
81 KZ440 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Mar 2014 16:08 by jessemartin07.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2014 17:17 #626417 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic 81 440 Ltd project
Your typical bobber build, might want to do a lkttle research and look into finding a fork brace for the front end if youre not wanting a fender, the stock fender does add rigidity to the front end.

make sure you get it running right and going good before you do much if this is your first bike project definately dont difch the airbox for pods and if you do dont damage the airbox, tuning cv carbs for pods can be a total PITA

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: jessemartin07

More
24 Mar 2014 17:39 #626422 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 440 Ltd project

jessemartin07 wrote: ...

Appears to be a good unmolested example in very desirable stock condition.

Before destroying it's resale value by converting it into a bobber, would consider selling it for enough to purchase a more suitable bobber candidate with plenty of funds remaining for the project.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Mar 2014 18:20 #626428 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic 81 440 Ltd project

Patton wrote:

jessemartin07 wrote: ...

Appears to be a good unmolested example in very desirable stock condition.

Before destroying it's resale value by converting it into a bobber, would consider selling it for enough to purchase a more suitable bobber candidate with plenty of funds remaining for the project.

+1
That exhaust system might be worth as much as the the bike itself. Could you post some more pics?
What you need first is a repair manual. They have lots of info. Perform all the regular maintenance
and get it running in tip top shape first. Modifications will be easier to perform and improvements
come quicker if you have some that works to start with.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

• jessemartin07
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2014 19:05 #626445 by jessemartin07
Replied by jessemartin07 on topic 81 440 Ltd project
Thanks for the advice. Maybe the original picture made its condition look better than it actually is. As you can see there is rust and general wear in a lot of places. Is the Kerker exhaust original? To what extent could I make bobber-like modifications without killing the resale value? The bike has 17k miles, and assuming I restored it to a fair, clean condition, what do you think I could sell it for? (To an extent, I don't care about the money and would enjoy the learning experience and fun of it all.)

07 Yamaha YZF600R
08 Ninja 250R
81 KZ440 LTD
Attachments:

More
24 Mar 2014 19:32 #626450 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic 81 440 Ltd project
If everything you swap out can be reinstalled and look the same as it did when it was taken off you can usually keep it's resale value. Chopping the frame or custom painting the bike will usually lower the value. It would also be best to keep any parts you take off

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
24 Mar 2014 20:18 #626455 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 81 440 Ltd project
Here are my recommendations:

1. Consider staying alive. Doing so will greatly enhance your chances of enjoying the bike and everything else in life. This may seem like an odd statement; but consider the following. Based on the rust, etc. the previous owner(s) clearly took zero pride in the bike, and they clearly did zero maintenance. This means the systems that your life depends on when riding have been neglected. If that was my bike I wouldn't be thinking about cosmetic changes at this stage of the game. I would be focusing on performing maintenance on and correcting problems with vital safety issues. As an example - that chain and rear sprocket look like they have seen better days If the chain breaks while riding it can jam up and lock the rear wheel (not to mention breaking the engine case if it wedges between the countersprocket and case). I would replace the chain and both sprockets along with a new lock washer on the countersprocket. Also, I would flush the brake system and ensure it is working properly and check the rear brake shoes for possible separation of pad and backplate. I would also check those tires out very carefully and replace if they aren't in great shape. There are numerous other safety items that should be checked as well. One other item - if you're not an experienced rider, take a motorcycle safety class.

2. Avoid being stranded. Pushing a motorcycle is great exercise but not great fun. After addressing all the safety issues I would perform all the normal maintenance tasks. Don't think for one minute that the previous owner(s) did any maintenance (even if they swear they did). Doing these tasks will improve the odds that the bike will be reliable and won;t leave you stranded.

3. Learn to ride the bike as is. When 1 & 2 above are done - ride the bike for a few thousand miles to become very familiar with its performance, handling, etc. This will not only enable you to ride this particular bike well, it will establish a baseline that you can use to see if later modifications you make have a positive, negative, or neutral effect.

4. Make mods to cosmetics as you wish, but be very careful about making mods to the functionality or integrity of the bike. Keep in mind, the engineers who designed this machine were professionals with many years experience. So a change that you may believe to be trivial (such as removing the front fender) could have an undesired affect on handling or safety. For sure, before reaching for that hacksaw get some advice about how it may impact the integrity of the bike's structure.

Identifying and performing the maintenance and safety tasks above is MUCH easier if you acquire a Kawasaki Service Manual and read it carefully. It contains pretty much all the info you'll need to ensure your bike is safe and to maintain it properly. You will also need some tools to do things right. Here's a link that contain info that should be helpful. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton, jessemartin07

More
24 Mar 2014 21:20 #626459 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic 81 440 Ltd project
The exhaust says kerker by kawasaki, meaning if not specifically stock then a factory replacement part and as rust and all is concerned, a bit of elbow grease goes a long way to removing stains and letting you see new leaks.

As for resale value a pristine original can be around $1200-$1500 and bobbers i usually see SELL (not listed at but sell) for around half that. And honestly most people chop them realize to do the maintenance items that were mentioned as needing attention add up to too much time/money and sell them off

Forget bobbing/customizing and buy some tires, brake pads/shoes rebuild calipers and ALL maintenance first. I have had a chain break on me (friends bike not mine) and thats the scariest two wheel experience I have had

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
24 Mar 2014 22:31 #626460 by tk11b40
Replied by tk11b40 on topic 81 440 Ltd project
I bought one of these brand new in 1981.
One of my favorite rides, I guess because it was my first true street bike. The engines are bullet proof, the charging system should be checked. (free if you follow the manual and have an OHM meter)
Adjust the valve clearance. (free if you have a manual)
I used to rev mine to about 6000 RPMS with the clutch feathering, then let it all out at once, (drag start) and lean way forward and smoke the tire in first gear, as long as the pavement was smooth and shiny it would do it over and over. Never replaced the clutch or had any other mechanical problems.
I had charging issues at about 13,000 miles, but if I remember correctly it was a bare wire somewhere. Takes a few minutes, but well worth the time.

A good chain and sprockets are/ is mandatory. 125 bucks
Brakes are easy to rebuild and not too expensive, at least rebuild the front. The rear is a drum so it either works or does not. about 75 bucks at Bike bandit
brake pads 35 bucks
Tires are very important, new tires. 300 bucks.
Fork seals 25 bucks if needed, but is good to do anyway.

I rode mine all over the west coast, in the early 80's once road from Seattle to San Francisco in 18 hours, that was a long haul. I got rid of the stock "Bucko bars", and put a lower set on made the bike more comfortable. I have owned at least 15 other bikes since, currently own a Ducati, and am building a KZ,

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/274097...imit=20&limitstart=0

I still love the 440 memories, it was so much fun.

500 or so dollars worth of maint and the bike is safe to ride for a long time. Enjoy.
By the way that header must be very rare indeed, I bet it sounds cool. The bike looks good too.

Suzuki GSXR 750 slabside
Ducati S4R
Husqvarna FE 350s

More
25 Mar 2014 05:24 - 25 Mar 2014 05:26 #626478 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 440 Ltd project

jessemartin07 wrote: ...To an extent, I don't care about the money and would enjoy the learning experience and fun of it all....

Neither does Jay Leno, but to my knowledge he doesn't cut on the original examples in his collection.

As nice examples of vintage bikes become fewer and fewer, there's something to be said for preserving a piece of history.

Cost aside, and taken to more extreme, "Is it better to shoot the last tiger or let it live?"

Imo, the fun and learning experiences incident to chopping and bike building are better served on something other than a nice original example of a vintage motorcycle.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Mar 2014 05:26 by Patton.

More
25 Mar 2014 08:11 - 25 Mar 2014 08:12 #626502 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 81 440 Ltd project
If the bike has the stock airbox, do not break it or toss the thing in the trash (that is if you get the urge to install a different air filter setup... not recommended for CV carburetors). Treat the airbox w care, especially the cap. Also, on some models as reported by one or two 440 owners, when replacing the air filter, it's possible to install the cap wrong so that it doesn't seal properly. The check is to pull up on the back end of it to make sure it doesn't move... but don't force it or break the cap. But I don't recall exactly to which 440 this applies (I think there are 2 different airboxes for them).
Last edit: 25 Mar 2014 08:12 by martin_csr.

More
31 Mar 2014 21:33 #627363 by Jessejames
Replied by Jessejames on topic 81 440 Ltd project
Correct unless you plan on replacing the cv carbs.. Do NOT break or throw that air box.. The bike won't an will not run right.. The only thing i could think that might an thats a big might is if you was to dill a hole in to each pod an connect a line so they could have equal vacuum... If you want to toss the cv's eBay has mikuni carb set ups... 30-32mm for $300-350

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396327532.188268.jpg not found

Mine was molested when I got it.. Chopped up wires, rattle can paint.. In dear need of tlc.. An I wanted to build a mortard.. So set up the engine let it run an run an run a rode it.. To make sure she was healthy.. An then stared to tare down..an this is where I am with it now..

Vintage
Attachments: