my 650csr's transformation to the "RAT RACER"

More
02 Mar 2013 03:00 #574849 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic my 650csr's transformation to the "RAT RACER"

Patton wrote:

jbalet666 wrote: ...So about three weeks ago I took the bike to get the carbs tuned
Got it back home and unfortunately because of work I didn't ride it until yesterday. So I took it on some country roads and noticed that I had no power and by no power I mean I was throttle well open in fifth gear going 50 struggling for 55....

jbalet666 wrote: Ok
Slight update
Checked the clean air system and it had been removed but not sealed off correctly
Sealed up all the leaks and the problem still exists
The true problem comes in at about 45 MPH it looses all power and takes quite a bit more throttle to get it to 55 anybody have any experience with this
Also upon inspecting it seems that it has A slightly too tall air cleaner and won't let the cap screw on but the seat will latch with space could this be a factor?

The possible air leak would be more likely to cause a racing idle than cause lack of power at the reported speeds.

Is the engine combusting on all four cylinders?

Perhaps the timing advancer is stuck in the idle position.

Are valve clearances within specs?

Are air filters clogged? Running with choke ON? Obstructed sir intake?

Could be many reasons, related to compression, ignition, carbs, fuel supply, etc.

Has the engine ever performed satisfactorily while in your possession?

Good Fortune! :)

No the engine has always been like this granted I never rode at these speeds before I got the carbs tuned though
And I haven't had any of the other pronlems you specified really one of the out side cylinders seemed to be running cooler but I just attributed it to the extra air.flow it recieves
Its going to the shop tommorow and I'm going to have them check the compression and valve specs o think that might be a factor
Maybe the valves are high so.at higher speeds they are too open too often?
Filters fine
I never run with the choke on
But I havent checked the timing so I'll do that as well
Thanks for the tips
I'm at a complete loss

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2013 12:04 #574887 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic my 650csr's transformation to the "RAT RACER"
To save some money & learn more about fixing the bike, you can do some of this stuff yourself, such as checking the compression - it's really easy. All you need is a compression tester - the auto parts stores have them for ~$20 or less. Get one that includes a 14mm threaded fitting.

As for any cylinders misfiring, one thing you can try is to redo the spark plug wire connections at all points from the coils to the plugs - the wires unscrew from the coils. Unscrew the ribbed compression boots then twist off the plug wires. Untwist the plug wires from the plug caps. If there's a lot of the white crusty stuff, nip off the ends of the wires a tad. Not too much though, or your wires could end up too short.

If the cylinders are misfiring in 1-4 or 2-3 pairs, suspect a coil or other ignition problem. Inspect the coils for cracks or damage. For better spark you probably ought to go ahead & replace the coils. I installed the green Dyna 3.0 ohm coils & Dyna plug wire set from Z1Enterprises - there was a definite improvement & it solved a high speed performance issue.

More
02 Mar 2013 12:11 #574889 by jbalet666

martin_csr wrote: To save some money & learn more about fixing the bike, you can do some of this stuff yourself, such as checking the compression - it's really easy. All you need is a compression tester - the auto parts stores have them for ~$20 or less. Get one that includes a 14mm threaded fitting.

As for any cylinders misfiring, one thing you can try is to redo the spark plug wire connections at all points from the coils to the plugs - the wires unscrew from the coils. Unscrew the ribbed compression boots then twist off the plug wires. Untwist the plug wires from the plug caps. If there's a lot of the white crusty stuff, nip off the ends of the wires a tad. Not too much though, or your wires could end up too short.

If the cylinders are misfiring in 1-4 or 2-3 pairs, suspect a coil or other ignition problem. Inspect the coils for cracks or damage. For better spark you probably ought to go ahead & replace the coils. I installed the green Dyna 3.0 ohm coils & Dyna plug wire set from Z1Enterprises - there was a definite improvement & it solved a high speed performance issue.

I've been trying to do as much stuffy self that I can on the bike I have mechanical experience but nothing having to do with motorcycles really so I'm trying to do as much as I canm y self I'm just trying to find that fine line of not making things worse I have access to a compression tester so I can do that
I have done electrical stuff like that before so I'll do that as well
When you say replacing the coils and wiring solved a high speed issue
Are you referring to a similar problem I am experiencing?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
02 Mar 2013 13:23 #574896 by Patton
Engine might be running on just two cylinders.

Would start up a cold engine, allow to idle a few seconds, then spray water mist over the exhaust headers to determine whether all cylinders are combusting.

Sizzle with immediate vaporization indicates a combusting cylinder (which is "good").

Water running down the exhaust pipe indicates no combustion (which is "bad").

Knowing the water spray test results would be helpful to diagnosis.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Mar 2013 16:44 - 02 Mar 2013 16:46 #574912 by jbalet666

Patton wrote: Engine might be running on just two cylinders.

Would start up a cold engine, allow to idle a few seconds, then spray water mist over the exhaust headers to determine whether all cylinders are combusting.

Sizzle with immediate vaporization indicates a combusting cylinder (which is "good").

Water running down the exhaust pipe indicates no combustion (which is "bad").

Knowing the water spray test results would be helpful to diagnosis.

I know this test very well Hahaha
Yesterday I did it and one of the outside cylinders was slightly cooler
Also the choke.is a little rough (possibly in need of lubrication) so.maybe I think the choke is closed when its actually a tad open which should be more prevalent and problematic at higher speeds
Or am I just talking nonsense

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood
Last edit: 02 Mar 2013 16:46 by jbalet666.

More
02 Mar 2013 21:24 #574956 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic my 650csr's transformation to the "RAT RACER"
I guess the choke plungers can get sticky, so that could cause idling problems.

When the bike is cold, start the engine then pat the pipes & compare how they are warming up. Then mist them as they get hot. I solved an intermittent firing problem on #1 & #2 by redoing the spark plug wires. Later, I replaced the coils because they were old & the bike was running funny at high speeds - it had an intermittent miss. Old coils can test fine w a multimeter, but when they get hot they can have internal shorts or something. Some say the stock coils aren't that great anyway & now they are 30+ yrs old.

PS: replacing the coils can be a bit of a job, so it isn't a simple plug-n-play thing. It's not really hard either, though.

More
03 Mar 2013 01:44 #575015 by jbalet666

martin_csr wrote: I guess the choke plungers can get sticky, so that could cause idling problems.

When the bike is cold, start the engine then pat the pipes & compare how they are warming up. Then mist them as they get hot. I solved an intermittent firing problem on #1 & #2 by redoing the spark plug wires. Later, I replaced the coils because they were old & the bike was running funny at high speeds - it had an intermittent miss. Old coils can test fine w a multimeter, but when they get hot they can have internal shorts or something. Some say the stock coils aren't that great anyway & now they are 30+ yrs old.

PS: replacing the coils can be a bit of a job, so it isn't a simple plug-n-play thing. It's not really hard either, though.

ok well its in the shop already did all that i could and nothing
took it to the shop the guy pulled the clutch in and the cable snapped......hahah
luckily it didnt happen to me
so thats where that stands
i was going to do what you said but my pops insisted that we take it in so
thats where that stands
im disappointed at the least but oh well
theres plenty of work left for me

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
03 Mar 2013 02:00 #575019 by jbalet666
UPDATE!!!!
ok so a couple days ago i finally got around to stipping the tank but didnt get a chance to post it on here
heres the tank before

Attachment 2013-02-22_15-37-41_851.jpg not found

Attachment 2013-02-22_15-37-47_5451.jpg not found

Attachment 2013-02-22_15-38-23_3611.jpg not found

heres some shots of the stripping process

Attachment 2013-02-25_14-06-12_2771.jpg not found

Attachment 2013-02-25_14-06-20_4621.jpg not found

and heres the stripped tank

Attachment 2013-02-25_21-49-33_661.jpg not found

Attachment 2013-02-25_21-50-09_541.jpg not found

[attachment:8]C:\fakepath\2013-02-25_21-50-18_857[1].jpg[/attachment]
there is some light rust spots but personally i like it shows character

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood
Attachments:

More
03 Mar 2013 02:03 #575021 by jbalet666
and heres the tank bank on the bike with the badges on

Attachment 2013-02-26_17-54-16_5041.jpg not found

i've got to be honest, theres nothing really as sexy as bare metal on a bike in my opinion

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2013 20:08 #576216 by jbalet666
ok everyone quick update
got the bike back and everything is alot better
BUT
looking at the work order
i could have done everything on there myself
but pops as usual insited on taking it in there
going to go through and do all the elctrical stuff i think next
i.e. new turning signals stone guard for headlight ex.
and the seat will be comming next month so thats also in the near future
and along with that comes moving all the components that are under the seat into the butt stopper so
work on that will start sometime in the next two weeks
as always any suggestions advice and postive feedback are always greately appreciated!

-justin

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
10 Mar 2013 20:16 #576414 by Steely

Just some inspiration. My seat with aged paint job

More
10 Mar 2013 23:40 #576452 by jbalet666

Steely wrote:

Just some inspiration. My seat with aged paint job

That's really awesome
I Was originally not.going to paint seat buy that is just too sweet
What's the process that you went through to get the aged effect

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood