my 650csr's transformation to the "RAT RACER"

More
28 Feb 2013 19:04 - 28 Feb 2013 19:05 #574608 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic my 650csr's transformation to the "RAT RACER"
I don't know what's missing. Did you disable/remove the Kawasaki clean air system? It appears the Tee on the tubing is capped (red cap near top/center of photo): if the clean air stuff is gone, I would remove the tubing & cap the two carb ports. And make sure the rest of the system is disabled correctly.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2013 19:05 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2013 11:41 #574731 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic my 650csr's transformation to the "RAT RACER"

martin_csr wrote: I don't know what's missing. Did you disable/remove the Kawasaki clean air system? It appears the Tee on the tubing is capped (red cap near top/center of photo): if the clean air stuff is gone, I would remove the tubing & cap the two carb ports. And make sure the rest of the system is disabled correctly.

That Carb isn't hooked up to any fuel
And no didn't remove anything that's how the shop gave it back to me
saying that its running perfect
I think not

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
01 Mar 2013 12:05 #574733 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic my 650csr's transformation to the "RAT RACER"
Might want to check that again. Martin_CSR is right, the red caps are on the vacuum system. Looks to me like the fuel line is the one in the background with the green zip tie hooked up to the inline fuel filter. Make sure that one's hooked up on both ends and that your petcock is on/working.

More
01 Mar 2013 12:12 #574734 by Patton

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2013 12:20 - 01 Mar 2013 12:21 #574735 by Patton
Kawasaki "Clean Air" system, as originally designed.

Upon removal of the clean air system, any old unused vacuum hoses should also be removed, because they provide additional sources for possible vacuum leaks.

Good Fortune!
:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Mar 2013 12:21 by Patton.

More
01 Mar 2013 12:55 #574738 by jbalet666

Patton wrote:

I must have read the parts diagram wrong then I followed the hoses and it appeared to me that the Fuel hose went to the filter and.them.the filter went to that assembly
Yep everything on that end is connected.and working but that cylinder isn't firing checked via the okie trick by spraying a little bit of water on the exhaust and its just rolling off even after the bike warms up a little bit
But as always I trust all of your guys advice but its power is Still way down must be a cylinder issue?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
01 Mar 2013 13:38 #574741 by Patton

Fuel line is supposed to run from the petcock, through an in-line filter, and then to the carb where it attaches.

A separate and smaller vacuum hose also runs to and attaches to the petcock. It supplies vacuum from a running engine to the petcock whereby the petcock is supposed to allow fuel flow in the ON or RES position.

The carb end of the vacuum hose from the petcock may be attached to any available vacuum nipple on any carb holder. Some carb designs include a separate vacuum nipple on the carb itself, which looks very much like and is sometimes confused with a carb vent nipple.

Any unused vacuum nipple should be capped/plugged, because an "open" vacuum nipple creates a large undesirable air leak.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2013 13:51 #574742 by jbalet666

Patton wrote:

Fuel line is supposed to run from the petcock, through an in-line filter, and then to the carb where it attaches.

A separate and smaller vacuum hose also runs to and attaches to the petcock. It supplies vacuum from a running engine to the petcock whereby the petcock is supposed to allow fuel flow in the ON or RES position.

The carb end of the vacuum hose from the petcock may be attached to any available vacuum nipple on any carb holder. Some carb designs include a separate vacuum nipple on the carb itself, which looks very much like and is sometimes confused with a carb vent nipple.

Any unused vacuum nipple should be capped/plugged, because an "open" vacuum nipple creates a large undesirable air leak.

Perfect
All the hoses are connect except that one so km guessing all of them EXCEPT the one going to the petcock should be capped off
Does the clean air system not being disconnected correctly have an impact on performance like I'm experiencing

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
01 Mar 2013 14:10 #574745 by Patton

jbalet666 wrote: ...Does the clean air system not being disconnected correctly have an impact on performance like I'm experiencing

Possibly, if allowing an air leak.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Mar 2013 15:10 #574750 by jbalet666

Patton wrote:

jbalet666 wrote: ...Does the clean air system not being disconnected correctly have an impact on performance like I'm experiencing

Possibly, if allowing an air leak.

I see well I'll give it.a once.over again and try To Fix any air leaks

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
01 Mar 2013 23:55 #574821 by jbalet666
Ok
Slight update
Checked the clean air system and it had been removed but not sealed off correctly
Sealed up all the leaks and the problem still exists
The true problem comes in at about 45 MPH it looses all power and takes quite a bit more throttle to get it to 55 anybody have any experience with this
Also upon inspecting it seems that it has A slightly too tall air cleaner and won't let the cap screw on but the seat will latch with space could this be a factor?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
02 Mar 2013 00:30 #574833 by Patton

jbalet666 wrote: ...So about three weeks ago I took the bike to get the carbs tuned
Got it back home and unfortunately because of work I didn't ride it until yesterday. So I took it on some country roads and noticed that I had no power and by no power I mean I was throttle well open in fifth gear going 50 struggling for 55....

jbalet666 wrote: Ok
Slight update
Checked the clean air system and it had been removed but not sealed off correctly
Sealed up all the leaks and the problem still exists
The true problem comes in at about 45 MPH it looses all power and takes quite a bit more throttle to get it to 55 anybody have any experience with this
Also upon inspecting it seems that it has A slightly too tall air cleaner and won't let the cap screw on but the seat will latch with space could this be a factor?

The possible air leak would be more likely to cause a racing idle than cause lack of power at the reported speeds.

Is the engine combusting on all four cylinders?

Perhaps the timing advancer is stuck in the idle position.

Are valve clearances within specs?

Are air filters clogged? Running with choke ON? Obstructed sir intake?

Could be many reasons, related to compression, ignition, carbs, fuel supply, etc.

Has the engine ever performed satisfactorily while in your possession?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD