Z1 900

More
20 Aug 2012 14:21 #543641 by delkron97
Z1 900 was created by delkron97
bought this 75 Z1 900 back in 84, rode it a few years and sold it to dad. he has had it ever since but was his project bike... which has been used mostly for holding extension cords for past 20 years.

unfortunately he passed away 2 years ago. i got the ol Z1 back and just recently drug it outta corner and started messing with it. over all it is pretty good, everything works but i knew it needed valve job and rings. so....

apart it came..

everything turned out pretty good..

it's ready to go back together but i am much better with two strokes. anybody live round the indianapolis area thats been thru this before. pretty sure i can handle it... but sure would be nice to have a lil experience close by.

i am 35 minutes west of indy..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2012 22:20 #543742 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Z1 900
There are some guys down there who are nutty bout the z1's. I just sold a denco pipe to one of them. These guys all hang with each other,good guys. I will pm you a email address ,don't laugh at his email addy he will tell you what it means.
Good luck with the project. Glad to see another zed on the road
check your pm box
cheerz
gregz

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
20 Aug 2012 22:24 #543743 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Z1 900

Attachment plummen_2012-08-20.jpg not found

Welcome to z-jungle ! B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2012 12:46 #543883 by delkron97
Replied by delkron97 on topic Z1 900
Ok thanks, after I get this thing going I am gonna get rid of a bunch of parts I got laying round. A frame ( No title), couple bottom ends, one set of empty cases, several heads n valve covers, ssveral sets of carbs, wheels.. And boxes n boxes of parts. Once my dad found the internet and ebay... He went nuts.

Dont wanna sell just yet though... Need to get this z straight first.

More
21 Aug 2012 13:08 #543888 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Z1 900
I'm just a little over an hour west of Indy, what ya need?

Kingman, 13 miles south of exit 15 off 74.

Les

More
21 Aug 2012 20:07 #543959 by delkron97

les holt wrote: I'm just a little over an hour west of Indy, what ya need?

Kingman, 13 miles south of exit 15 off 74.

Les

Thanks les,

a lIl advice first off. It currently has stock bore 900 bits on it right now.. But, I also have a new 1085 kit sittin basement ready if I choose to install it. But what are pros n cons of this kit. Ahould I keep it stock or install kit. Also have a few sefs of carbs to choose from.. And one is supposed to be a smooth bore set. Will the smooth bores be to much for stock set up? Surely they would be ok for big bore kit.

Then a hand with dropping the cylinders over pistons would be nice. I have two individual ring compressors, also have a 4 piston ring compressor. I am just used to working on singles.. So this inline 4 is new to me so someone that has been down this road before would be nice to lend a hand when comes time to assemble this top end.

Right now its ready to put together... I am not sure which way to go with it.

More
21 Aug 2012 21:03 #543970 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Z1 900
You say "1085", I'm betting you have a 1075 kit, very common kit and very streetable and a real nice upgrade, with that and the smoothbores you have a real nice combo! Only pitfall of the 1075 kit is that they use 1015 jugs and sometimes, not often, but sometimes they don't fit 900 cases without a little touch up on the cases. Just buzz me when you think you're ready to get to it.

Les

More
21 Aug 2012 21:46 #543974 by delkron97
I am sure you are right on displacement, I was just goin on memory of what dad told me. Guess I will remove the 900 pistons and set the big bore cylinders on cases n see how they fit. I will just need to pick up a an other set of piston clips... At least 4 of em anyway.

Still be a bit of a haul for ya.. I am 7 miles south of I 70/39 intersection.

More
21 Aug 2012 21:56 #543978 by les holt

More
21 Aug 2012 22:49 #543989 by delkron97
Kinda sorta... Plainfield is north of 70, I am south of 70. Search for monrovia.. I am just south of there.

I will get my chit together and check the fit of the larg er cylinders.. Then get pistons swapped out. When ready to assemble I will holler at ya.

A another dumb queation... I have two new in package head gaskets, both one piece. One is oem and other is weisco. Both say good for 900/1000 engines, will they work for the 1075? I was assuming they would be ok.

More
23 Aug 2012 02:39 #544237 by delkron97
And how do ya tell the difference tween standard and smooth bore carbs? I got a buddy that has a sonic blaster... Or some dang thing that cleans parts hella good. I wanna take him the smooth bores and have em cleaned.

More
23 Aug 2012 03:33 #544250 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Z1 900

delkron97 wrote: And how do ya tell the difference tween standard and smooth bore carbs? I got a buddy that has a sonic blaster... Or some dang thing that cleans parts hella good. I wanna take him the smooth bores and have em cleaned.

Post pictures to be sure

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!