OMR's New Girl.... 1997 Voyager XII (ZG1200-B11)

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jul 2012 11:36 - 29 Jul 2012 14:01 #539216 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic OMR's New Girl.... 1997 Voyager XII (ZG1200-B11)
No not yet....

Here's where I'm at presently.

* Got the manual and familiarized myself with the components and locations.
* Have the fairing and plastic all off.
* Recharged the battery.
* Found a cobbled up mess of home mechanic wiring and some after market relays and switches...
:pinch: Hmmm, go figure. So corrected to OEM diagrams.
* I found the starter bypass switches (infamous clutch perch) dirty/oxidized, so I took them apart to clean.
* During starter button press, High pitch whine as if free running and clunk sound from the starter motor.
* Replaced starter motor with spare provided. No more whine.

She now turns over but I still get an occasional clunk, thoughts are starter clutch.... Damn, have to split the cases if that's the problem...

Same time, not going to do anything to that level quite yet.

Next step is completely go through the electrical troubleshooting and repair section first. Want to make sure all relays are working, that I have spark, the fuel pump is receiving it's control voltage and passing fuel, the CDI isn't blown etc....

Since she does turn over, if I can get her enough to start then go from there.

There you go, that's about it for now...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jul 2012 14:01 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2012 13:09 #539224 by badrhino
Here we go again!!!!!!!! :lol: :silly: :P

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!
Attachments:

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2012 13:12 - 29 Jul 2012 13:18 #539380 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic OMR's New Girl.... 1997 Voyager XII (ZG1200-B11)
Update:

First thing first, Re-drew a wiring diagram that was easier to freaking read...

Well as expected due to shit home mechanic wiring and for the fact that PO had to replace the generator (internal rec/reg), starter, wiring harness.... the IC igniter was susceptible to damage.
I don't have spark to the coils->sparkies.

The manual provides a nice chart for OHM testing pin to pin... On several measurements I obtained, no doubt the IC Igniter is crap.... New OEM costs... $450... :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

Ok, screw that.... Let's open up the IC igniter and see what we have shall we...
WTF do I have to lose... ;)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh based on the pin inputs that measured out of spec, follow them to these 2ea 2SD1071
High Voltage Amplifiers.... Ah soooooooooooooo.... B)

Ok, hard to find onto e-bay....
I'll order 4 each and have some spares since these are so hard to find!

I'll keep you posted after the replacements. Hopefully a $450 costs will turn into a $10 repair! B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 29 Jul 2012 13:18 by Old Man Rock.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Jul 2012 13:16 #539381 by wireman

Old Man Rock wrote: Update:

Well as expected due to shit home mechanic wiring and for the fact that PO had to replace the generator (internal rec/reg), starter, wiring harness.... the IC igniter was susceptible to damage.

The manual provides a nice chart for OHM testing pin to pin... On several measurements I obtained, no doubt the IC Igniter is crap.... New OEM costs... $450... :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

Ok, screw that.... Let's open up the IC igniter and see what we have shall we...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh based on the pin inputs that measured out of spec, follow them to these 2ea 2SD1071

I'll keep you posted after the replacements. Hopefully a $450 costs will turn into a $10 repair! B)

So did you sneeze on that thing? :sick: :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2012 13:21 #539382 by Old Man Rock
No... Your GF's LUV Juice... :pinch: :whistle:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Jul 2012 13:24 #539383 by wireman
Need to get her to the clinic! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
29 Jul 2012 13:32 #539384 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic OMR's New Girl.... 1997 Voyager XII (ZG1200-B11)
Hey OMR dont mean to jump in here other than to say she is a beauty and 1 mod I did to my goldwing that imp slims her down and doesnt effect its functionality is trimming the entirely too tall wndshield with a cutoff wheel looks like it was ordered that way

Attachment windshieldcut1.JPG not found

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...
Attachments:

More
29 Jul 2012 21:00 #539463 by LarryC

Old Man Rock wrote: Update:

THAT is simply f'n awesome!

Haven't looked totally into it....just the schematic on bike bandit for parts....but the starter clutch might just be able to be had through the oil pan.. Maby...

Larry C.

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
29 Jul 2012 22:20 #539476 by Killman
I swear to God, my brain gets bigger every time I follow one of your threads, it's like realizing that not only am I not lost but I'm actually camping with Rambo and McGuyver.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
30 Jul 2012 09:43 #539528 by LarryC
Dave,

This just FYI....

Back in 86 we had a 600 Ninja come in with about 1000 miles on it...no spark.

Checked things over and swapped a brand new CDI box off a showroom bike....cured the problem. Gave the customer the new CDI and sent him on his way. Ordered a new CDI for the showroom bike [warranty].

New box arrives. Sat down with the service manual, the failed CDI and the brand new one. Tested them both per service manual using a Kawasaki Multi Tester.

NEITHER CDI passed according to the service manual resistance tests :unsure:

It would be very, very rare to have both pickup coils fail on anything at the same time but check output on them and also the kill switch.

Larry C.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jul 2012 09:55 - 30 Jul 2012 10:10 #539531 by Old Man Rock
Resistance measurements versus powered on conditions can bite you, Most definitely! ;)
I also considered the note on using "KAWI Measurement Tool" for accuracy of these measurements versus my fluke but other than a few of the measurements, all came within tolerance... Plus Fluke is a damn good DVM...

I found alternatives to the 2SD1071 that would most likely work but it would throw the resistance measurements off so chose to find the exact replacements. Not to mention might throw the ignition timing off a tad.

NOTE: I still have considerable electrical testing to perform yet.... Need the engine fully running to confirm charging system and such. all relays, inter lock out switches have been cleaned and tested. The CDI (Cruise control) well can't do that one yet.... Clarion stereo can wait as well.

The goal is just to get it to fire, then I can analyze other issues to see if it's worth the $$$ to complete the re-build. $500-%1000 total costs it'd be worth it. If a couple thousand, naw, sell it & get my my $1200 back for I can get a better build (running Voyager) for that costs.

I found used igniters on ebay for ~$200... Downfall they could have the same issues.... If it turns out this is all that's wrong with her, go for a new igniter then...

I'll keep you all posted, should be a week before getting the components from overseas.

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 30 Jul 2012 10:10 by Old Man Rock.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Jul 2012 21:18 #539620 by mark1122
Great work Dave. nice to see u going deep. :)
Keep at it, she doesnt stand a chance , you'll beet this thing, and she'll be running in no time. :)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)