Operation: Learning Experience

More
27 Apr 2012 00:29 #518336 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Operation: Learning Experience
B) Good you should be golden after it arrives. :woohoo:

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2012 19:42 - 12 May 2012 22:27 #519855 by Beezy
Replied by Beezy on topic Operation: Learning Experience

elfmagic17 wrote: B) Good you should be golden after it arrives. :woohoo:

Yes sir, fits perfectly now. One problem down.

Now I need to figure out why my points aren't firing.

Some small updates/questions: My dad had never used the stock petcock. It stayed in the on position with a universal petcock further down the gas line. I fiddled with the valve and it started to leak gas. I bought a rebuild kit for the petcock and it still leaked... So I used some engine gasket sealer on all the gaskets and stuck it back together. I will continue to use the universal petcock, and the stock one doesn't leak... But does anyone know if the gasket sealer will stand up to gasoline in the long run? I would think it should, since you can use it on carbs and such.

I got an old 650SR fender off of Ebay because I like fender stays and painted fenders.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650
Last edit: 12 May 2012 22:27 by Beezy.

More
11 May 2012 13:24 #521556 by Beezy
No replies, but will update anyway. A pretty picture and a big wall of text.

First off, I love my bench grinder. Stuck a wire wheel on it and cleaned any and all parts that would fit in it. Stupid safety shields get in the way. Cleaned all the rust off the old chrome bolt heads, and shined up all the stainless and aluminum nicely. Took the calipers apart. The bench grinder took off all the dirt, grease, and all of the paint. I was almost tempted to leave them shiny and bare. But, went with VHT gold caliper paint. Not sure if I like the gold. Rebuild the calipers with new rubbers and new pads. Got my package in from Z1E. New stainless lines, new stainless banjo bolts and fittings. Got a few other things like a crankcase filter and compact horn. Z1E is awesome!

I sanded the fins on the rear wheel. Not sure if I like that either. I'm indecisive. Painted the forks. Cleaned up the triples and painted them. Ditched the boots on the front. Had to get another arm for the rear caliper. The one I had didn't match up. Bar end mirrors, new grips, new headlight brackets. Got my Z1 900 hand controls in. Have to redo the connections, but no biggy. They look great. Gonna order some superbike bars from Z1E. Not a big fan of the drag bars after having some time with them.

Still no spark to the points. I had my dad help me set them, test them, file them, and so on. Thinking of just going with a Dyna S. Will I need new coils? No idea what ohms mine are. They're just EMGO replacement coils. I think that's all for now.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650

More
11 May 2012 15:14 #521573 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic Operation: Learning Experience
Cool bike, you're doing good.

Next time you need to pull the front wheel off, use a ratchet tie down looped through the frame or triples and up to the garage rafters. If they aren't exposed run a eye hook into one. I do the same for rear wheel work too since my bikes don't typically have center stands.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beezy

More
11 May 2012 16:50 #521583 by Beezy

damarble wrote: Cool bike, you're doing good.

Next time you need to pull the front wheel off, use a ratchet tie down looped through the frame or triples and up to the garage rafters. If they aren't exposed run a eye hook into one. I do the same for rear wheel work too since my bikes don't typically have center stands.

I use ratchet straps for everything and somehow this never came to mind.

Thank you very much and I will be sure to do this next time.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650

More
11 May 2012 23:00 - 11 May 2012 23:04 #521674 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Operation: Learning Experience
Your bike is coming along nicely.
B)

Stock coils should be 4.0 ohm for a points ignition.
Test the Emgo aftermarket coil's primary resistance between the two terminals.

Kawi Elelctronic Ignitions use 2.3 ohm coils

Dyna S in the 3.0 ohm range, but:

"Never select a coil with a lower resistance than your ignition system - this will cause the coils to overheat and burn out... It is OK to select coils with a slightly higher resistance. For example 3.0 ohm coils with a 1.5 ohm CDI ignition. While this isn't optimal, it works and allows you to switch your CDI ignition over to a Dyna-S in the future."

Check what resistance the coils are you currently have.

www.z1enterprises.com/DynaS-Electronic-I...KZ650-KZ750-201.aspx

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 11 May 2012 23:04 by rstnick.

More
11 May 2012 23:28 #521687 by spark23ca
Replied by spark23ca on topic Operation: Learning Experience
seal all is more of a glue then anything else but gas won't get threw it

1982 kz 1000 ltd ..someone started to make a bobber out of it and realized it didnt' run and they didn't know how to run their wrenches

More
12 May 2012 12:31 - 12 May 2012 14:47 #521798 by Beezy
Thanks for the info.

On a side note, I just picked up an 81 CB650 for my girlfriend to learn to ride on.
Runs good after new plugs and carb cleaning, and has 4-2 kerkers that sound great.

Makes me think about getting some for the KZ.

Here's a pic. Came with side covers and airbox. They're just off from doing carb work.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650
Last edit: 12 May 2012 14:47 by Beezy.

More
12 May 2012 22:28 #521882 by Beezy
Here's a pic of the KZ and CB together in the garage.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650

More
20 May 2012 11:22 #523523 by Beezy

Had to remove a lot of things, but seems like its going for a more stock look, which I dig. Switched back to the old bars for now. Drag bars didn't have enough turn clearance. Bar end mirros were cheap after all. Screws wouldn't stay tight, even with lock washers and lock-tight they kept coming loose. Switched back to the stock headlight ears so I could use the new turn signals I got from Z1E. I can't say enough good things about Z1E.

The aftermarket brackets I got seemed cheap anyway. Seemed like I couldn't get them tight enough before the tab on the back of the bracket would pop open. New halogen headlight and bucket also from Z1E, as well as stainless brake lines. Installed the new Dyna S ignition after this picture was taken. Still won't fire up, but I didn't mess with it much.

Got a new spray gun. Gonna spray the KZ and the CB the same color at the same time. Not going green anymore since I have OCD and want the bikes to match. Gonna just go a nice glossy black on them.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650

More
20 May 2012 11:51 #523527 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Operation: Learning Experience
Bessy nice looking project. Where or who did you get those shocks from? I can tell you that the mirrors will fall apart on you. I ordered a set from EBay for the same price you did. One was loose right out of the box. The one that was tight rattled loose before the end of my 2nd ride with them. If they would have riveted the mirror on to the arm they would have been great. I'm still trying to figure out how to reuse mine.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
20 May 2012 11:52 #523528 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Operation: Learning Experience
Oops sorry Beezy spell check didn't like your name.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project