Operation: Learning Experience

More
10 Apr 2012 17:32 #515075 by Beezy
Operation: Learning Experience was created by Beezy
My dad had raced KZ's in the 70's, when he was in his 20's. He has some awesome stories and old pics of him racing these bikes when they were brand new. If I can get some scanned I will share them. He bought a 1978 KZ650B a few years back for about $400. He fixed it up a bit, got it running... and then he bought a Harley... So the KZ sat. It went into storage for a few years until I asked him if I could fix it up. I just wanted to get it going again because it was a sad sight, but he just handed it over to me, title and all. Here I am in my early 20's with little to no experience in working on motorcycles, and this project presents itself. And that's where our story begins.

Here is what the bike looked like when we picked it up. First time it's seen the sun in years.

So I brought it back to the garage and started stripping it down. Got most of it off myself. Went through a whole roll of tape just taping off parts, wires, bolts, etc. Marking each piece to make sure I new what was what and what went where. Had to wait for dad to get time to help me pull the motor out. This is a picture from that point.

Dad helped me pull the motor and I started to work. Grinding, sanding, brushing. Got the frame cleaned up and coated it with a good ole rattle can paintjob. This is (or WAS) a build on a budget. Greased the swingarm and stuck it back on.

Cleaned up the motor a bit. Didn't go all through it because my dad had it running good before, so just replaced some gaskets, cleaned the old aluminum up, and shot it with high temp black.

The tank needed some bondo. I despise bondo. Primered the body pieces. Cleaned up the tree, greased the bearings, put new fork seals in, and started putting more pieces back on.

I'm a little impatient, and dad was busy, so I stuck the motor back in solo. Word to the novice: Keep the sprocket cover off until the motor is back in. If not, you will break it, as I did. So, I ordered a new sprocket cover. No big deal, but it'll piss you off when you do it.

Again with my impatience, and doing things a little backwards, I stuck the wheels back under it solo. That was a task in itself. I had to take the rear fender off, pick the tail end of the bike up one handed, and stuff the rear wheel under it. With the rear wheel mounted, I had enough room to stick the centerstand back under it. I kicked it up on the center stand, and while holding the front end up with one hand, stuffed the front wheel under it with the other hand. I guess I could invest in a motorcycle jack, but that's boring.

Now, doing some research online on these bikes, I was introduced to the world of the "cafe racer". I was immediately tempted to take the bike in that direction, but that's not my dad's style, and I didn't want to take away from all the work he put into it. He was on Ebay all the time finding stock pieces and bringing the bike back to fairly original. I want to build the bike to be not only something that I'm proud of and happy with, but something that my dad is as well. So, I settled for some cafe style handlebars. He's not a fan, but it's a fairly small change from what it could have been.

When he gave the bike to me, he made a comment about how the old spoke wheels were rusted, and how I should do away with them and get some nice mag wheels under it. Easier said than done, pappy. After ordering many, many parts from many, many places, and getting much help from the very helpful people here on this site, I have all the parts I need. Ditching the spoke wheels and drum brakes, and putting a set of nice solid wheels under it with dual discs on the front.

The parts need a lot of cleaning up, and new caliper/master cylinder rebuild kits as well as new brake pads are on the way. Here is where I am as of today, 4/10/2012. Still waiting for the sprocket cover to arrive.

I will keep you guys posted with my little adventure, as well as ask a million stupid questions before this build is over.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2012 18:28 #515081 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Operation: Learning Experience
Nice photo essay...and bless you for replacing those handlebars. :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2012 18:37 #515083 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Operation: Learning Experience

Mcdroid wrote: Nice photo essay...and bless you for replacing those handlebars. :)

+1 B)

More
10 Apr 2012 18:38 - 10 Apr 2012 18:45 #515084 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Operation: Learning Experience
:pinch: Double post.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2012 18:45 by OnkelB.

More
10 Apr 2012 18:41 - 10 Apr 2012 18:48 #515085 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Operation: Learning Experience

Beezy wrote: Again with my impatience, and doing things a little backwards, I stuck the wheels back under it solo. That was a task in itself. I had to take the rear fender off, pick the tail end of the bike up one handed, and stuff the rear wheel under it.

:blink: You are officially my new hero - if we ever get drunk together and I try to pick a fight, please be gentle...

Btw, don't mean to be nitpicking, but I believe you got the fork legs swapped, the front brake will work better if the caliper is on the same side as the disc. :P

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2012 18:48 by OnkelB.

More
10 Apr 2012 18:48 #515087 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Operation: Learning Experience
Nice build up, I wish I would have taken more pictures of mine as I went through that stage. It is looking really great. My dad was the same way about my bike, fortunately for me I purchased mine for $300 so he didn't get any say in the matter. Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
10 Apr 2012 19:15 #515094 by Beezy
Replied by Beezy on topic Operation: Learning Experience

OnkelB wrote: :blink: You are officially my new hero - if we ever get drunk together and I try to pick a fight, please be gentle...

Btw, don't mean to be nitpicking, but I believe you got the fork legs swapped, the front brake will work better if the caliper is on the same side as the disc. :P

Lol I'm 5' 6", 135 lbs. It wasn't easy.

And you can't see in the pic but I have dual front calipers on for the dual discs on the solid wheels. They still need to be cleaned up, so I stuffed the spoke wheel back under it with the single disc.

I put the forks on backwards just because I like the look of it.

Mcdroid wrote: Nice photo essay...and bless you for replacing those handlebars. :)

Yeah they were kind of old school. Now that they're actually on though I'd like some with a little more curve UP.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650

More
13 Apr 2012 22:17 - 13 Apr 2012 22:18 #515667 by Beezy
First off, has anyone had experience with these shocks?

I ordered them a few weeks back. Had to go through customs and they are in, waiting for me to pick them up. My mailing address is about an hours drive from my physical address. From the description:

The length can be ajusted from 300mm (11.8 in) up to 350 mm (13.7 in) if you use the additional part included.
The strength of the spring can be ajusted (special tool included).
The pressure of the gas can be ajusted. Lots of possibility of adjustments, from comfort to very hard.
Can fit a lot of motorcycles (V-Max, Sportster, Honda Shadow... Please check the dimensions you need)
Excellent quality.

I've seen people running the similar KYB and RFY shocks. These are "POSH". A similar shyna brand.

Also ordered some new goodies like new grips, bar end mirrors, etc.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 22:18 by Beezy.

More
13 Apr 2012 22:22 #515668 by Mine20
Replied by Mine20 on topic Operation: Learning Experience
FYI dude those mirrors suck, I already ditched mine.

2007 Honda Shadow Custom
1978 Kawasaki kz650c2 cafe project
1979 Kawasaki 650sr possible bobber project

More
14 Apr 2012 07:55 #515714 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Operation: Learning Experience
Nice story and project. Could you please post the old pictures from your dads youth? It would be great! Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
14 Apr 2012 09:45 #515724 by Drooz
Replied by Drooz on topic Operation: Learning Experience
Cool story! Welcome to "the madness"!

roy-b-boy-b wrote: Nice story and project. Could you please post the old pictures from your dads youth? It would be great! Roy

Agreed! We need to see old pics! :laugh:

Good work on the "family heirloom"! Your dad may not prefer your style, but I'm bettin he's proud of the work you've done! B)

'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

More
14 Apr 2012 10:11 #515727 by Beezy
Thanks. I don't think I know anyone with a scanner. I will ask around.

Mine20 wrote: FYI dude those mirrors suck, I already ditched mine.

Bar ends or these particular mirrors? They were pretty sheep. (5 bucks I think)

1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1981 Honda CB650