KZed Police bike

More
09 Nov 2011 02:53 #487747 by motorscot
Replied by motorscot on topic KZed Police bike
This afternoon I installed Otakar's HID front headlamp kit. I am pleased overall with the setup, but I was hoping for more out of the "city light" led. I will update tomorrow after voltage/amperage tests. I couldn't run the bike after install due to a possible leak from the vent/overflow assembly under the tank. There has been an odor of gas over the last week that I couldn't pinpoint. When I removed the tank to run the wires to the battery, I saw some gas on the backbone and some seepage :(

On to the kit:

Attachment IMAG0123.jpg not found

What is included

Attachment IMAG0124.jpg not found

Close up of the new light with the LED city light at the bottom (left in the pic)

Attachment IMAG0128.jpg not found

Stock headlamp mount cup

Attachment IMAG0129.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0130.jpg not found

After removing enough material to slide the lamp into place. The LED protruded far enough to block easy insertion and now fits into the large slot in the bottom of the cup

Attachment IMAG0131.jpg not found

The light installed. I will have to put a bead of clear silicone to keep the light in position. The lamp will rotate without the bead around the outside edge of the mount ring (not the outer trim ring)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2011 03:08 #487748 by motorscot
I then ran the rest of the wiring and mounted the ballast.

Attachment IMAG0132.jpg not found

Close up of the new lamp and LED

Attachment IMAG0134.jpg not found

The ballast mounted on the inside of the fairing on the left inner side, the supplied double sided foam wouldn't hold the ballast against the unfinished fairing. I went with 3M trim tape instead

Attachment IMAG0133.jpg not found

I ran the direct to battery wires through the grommet access plug which allows for access to the fairing reflector

Attachment IMAG0135.jpg not found

Light on Hi-beam (city light LED only)

Attachment IMAG0136.jpg not found

HID Xenon light on Lo-beam

Attachment IMAG0137.jpg not found

HID light only, not the best pic or background

Attachment IMAG0138.jpg not found

Top shot of the LED only

Attachment IMAG0139.jpg not found

Top shot of the HID only

Overall I am very happy. The install was a breeze other than the cup having to be notched and the tank removal to run the wires

Total time: 1 hour
Attachments:

More
14 Nov 2011 22:07 #488509 by motorscot
I finally got a chance to ride the bike today and see how the new headlight works in the daytime vs other vehicles and how the charging system would be affected.

Verdict: Excellent

Visibility: Very good. It shows up mucho better than the old halogen around town and on the highway. I feel much safer.

Energy consumption: Very Good. It draws less power than the old light. Previously, I had 2 greens with no light, 1 green with the halogen on, and no greens with the brakes and halogen on

Now, 2 greens with the HID on, with one of them flickering at idle with brakes on.

Draw is around .7 volts. Normal is 14.3-14.5 @ 4000 rpm, HID drops it to 13.5+

I can live with that :)

Thanks again to Otakar!!

More
25 Mar 2012 11:28 - 25 Mar 2012 11:31 #511848 by motorscot
Finally pulled the trigger on a new exhaust system. MAC Exhaust from DennisKirk.com, part number #44444, black header and collector with chrome canister www.denniskirk.com/mac/4-into-1-black-he...p44438.prd/44444.sku

Attachment pic1.jpg not found

Attachment pic2.jpg not found

Attachment pic3.jpg not found

Attachment pic4.jpg not found

Attachment pic5.jpg not found

Attachment pic6.jpg not found

Worst part was having to remove the crash bar to fit the new header. Test ride showed strong power throughout the range with pronounced crackle and pop during off throttle engine braking. The carbs are stock rebuilt/reconditioned units from oldskoolcarbs (ebay) using 125 mains. I will finish installing the 127.5 mains this afternoon and report back.

System was well put together and will work on any 82-06 KZ-Police (contrary to what Denniskirk says). Saddlebags are unaffected and now I have much more room to access the oil drain plug and filter. The center stand uses a bracket that the system provides, and I used clear silicone adhesive to adhere the rubber bump stop from the stock system to the bracket (blue masking tape in last pic). Can't wait to ride it again today post jet swap.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Mar 2012 11:31 by motorscot.

More
01 Apr 2012 21:24 - 02 Apr 2012 23:50 #513459 by motorscot
So, the jets have been swapped and while I was at it, I decided to finally replace the leaky valve cover gasket, clean up some wiring, clean up some parts, and replace the fork oil

Attachment valve1.jpg not found

prior to blasting with aluminum oxide

Attachment valve2.jpg not found

post blasting
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2012 23:50 by motorscot.

More
01 Apr 2012 22:15 - 02 Apr 2012 23:58 #513473 by motorscot
Baking in the oven for 30 minutes at 170 degrees

Attachment valve4.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2012 23:58 by motorscot.

More
01 Apr 2012 22:24 - 02 Apr 2012 23:51 #513478 by motorscot

Attachment valve3.jpg not found

Primered
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2012 23:51 by motorscot.

More
01 Apr 2012 22:33 - 02 Apr 2012 20:09 #513481 by motorscot
I also had a lot of leaking and blowby from my American Classix oil cooler adapter: I decided to replace the rubber lines and Zephyr oil cooler with real fittings and hoses

new -6an fittings, also shown is the crankcase breather I blasted and painted, I also modded the airbox by sealing the lower hole and running tubing to the upper hole for case venting

Another view, in the second pic. the lines are running on the right side, underneath and along the frame. Cooler is a -6an inlet and outlet from Earl's. Everything was purchased through Summit Racing. Almost forgot, I had to get two -6an to pipe fittings to attach the new hardware to the oil cooler adapter

Attachment plumbing1.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2012 20:09 by motorscot.

More
02 Apr 2012 18:13 #513623 by motorscot
Another view, showing the new crankcase breather assembly painted and with new vent hose to the upper airbox hole. The lower one has been sealed off

Attachment plumbing2.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
02 Apr 2012 23:34 #513699 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZed Police bike

motorscot wrote: Another view, showing the new crankcase breather assembly painted and with new vent hose to the upper airbox hole. The lower one has been sealed off....

Hoping a carb vent hose hasn't been sealed off. :huh:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Apr 2012 23:49 #513702 by motorscot

Patton wrote:

motorscot wrote: Another view, showing the new crankcase breather assembly painted and with new vent hose to the upper airbox hole. The lower one has been sealed off....

How so? I removed the EGR equipment. I only have 1 vacuum line attached for the carb to tank feed. If I screwed something up, please tell me

More
02 Apr 2012 23:56 #513705 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZed Police bike

motorscot wrote:

Patton wrote:

How so? I removed the EGR equipment. I only have 1 vacuum line attached for the carb to tank feed. If I screwed something up, please tell me

Unused vacuum nipples should be sealed/capped/plugged.
Vent nipples should remain open to atmosphere.
Okay to run hose from crankcase vent into airbox, or catch-can, or open to atmosphere.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD