1979 KZ1000ST almost done

More
03 Jul 2011 19:02 - 03 Jul 2011 19:06 #460796 by KZ250LTD
1979 KZ1000ST almost done was created by KZ250LTD
I wasn't going to post any pictures until it was completely finished but my last part is taking too long so here are some "almost" pictures

Before:

And now:

Better glamour shots will come when it is roadworthy

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2011 19:06 by KZ250LTD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kidkawie, Jbosh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2011 19:07 #460797 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
nice work

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ250LTD

More
03 Jul 2011 19:55 #460803 by Sactown900
Replied by Sactown900 on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
Beautiful job. My KZ900 had all the touring junk on it. That was the first thing to go. You should be very proud of your efforts.
:woohoo:

More
03 Jul 2011 20:28 #460814 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
Great job. That's an amazing difference! That bike looks new.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
03 Jul 2011 21:06 #460823 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
Very very nice. roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
03 Jul 2011 21:36 - 03 Jul 2011 21:41 #460833 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
Thanks all! I actually got the bike two years ago and it lit on fire the second time I rode it. I rewired the entire bike with new coils/igniter/reg&rect etc but it was still blowing fire out the carbs and had chunks of the orange adhesive from on the rotor coming out in the oil so I put it in the shed until I got sick of it sitting there.

The list of things done:
-new cam chain + APE manual tensioner
-clutch rebuilt (plates + springs)
-cylinders honed
-new rings
-new SS valves + springs
-coils
-master cylinder and caliper rebuilds + new brake pads all round + SS brake lines
-petcock rebuild
-new carb boots
-APE cylinder studs and nuts
-steering bearings
-ZRX1200 shocks for the rear
-fork seals
-ELR black Kerker 4-1
-paint + new sidecover badges

I guess I'll find out whether I like it now that I can almost ride it. In my opinion it is one of the more ugly KZ's ever made so I just did a photoshop beforehand of what I wanted it to look like and tried to match that. It had lived most of its life in a field I think but the inside of the engine was surprisingly clean

Attachment DSC00355.JPG not found

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jul 2011 21:41 by KZ250LTD.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
03 Jul 2011 22:50 #460845 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
Really nice job Tim. Those shafties are really starting to grow on me. Mark II looks for cheap money, and no chain to maintain. You can be proud of that bike. It really cleans up the look to get rid of all the touring stuff. I'm not a big fan of those windjammer fairings. I know they have a purpose, but they really make the bike look dated.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
03 Jul 2011 23:01 #460848 by C.T.
Replied by C.T. on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
WOW, that looks great. Nice work, I agree the shafties are growing on me too.

1979 KZ1000 L.T.D. B-3 Original Owner
2003 ZRX 1200R
1976 KZ900 A4 Project bike

Ione Ca.

More
04 Jul 2011 02:28 #460884 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
Wow mate! Caught on fire!!! That bites. You did a fantastic job. She's quite nice. I hope mine looks that nice when I finish.
I don't know if you remember, but you had made a comment about a post that I had done awhile ago about my 80 ST? You had suggested that a pesky leak I had was coming from the shift shaft seal? Well, I can't thank you enough. I'm in the process of tearing everything apart to get at it, and fixing a few other issues along the way. I so wish I had a dedicated space to fully disassemble mine as you did, but no such luck. I'll start a thread tomorrow night after I get back from working on it, but any suggestions you have or tips you might be able to share would be once again, greatly appreciated.

Hope you have fun riding.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
04 Jul 2011 03:05 #460888 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
Really Nice :)

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
04 Jul 2011 11:11 #460912 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done

KZ250LTD wrote: Thanks all! I actually got the bike two years ago and it lit on fire the second time I rode it. I rewired the entire bike with new coils/igniter/reg&rect etc but it was still blowing fire out the carbs and had chunks of the orange adhesive from on the rotor coming out in the oil so I put it in the shed until I got sick of it sitting there.

The list of things done:
-cylinders honed
-new rings
-new SS valves + springs
-coils
-master cylinder and caliper rebuilds + new brake pads all round + SS brake lines
-petcock rebuild
-new carb boots
-steering bearings
-fork seals
-ELR black Kerker 4-1

I guess I'll find out whether I like it now that I can almost ride it. In my opinion it is one of the more ugly KZ's ever made so I just did a photoshop beforehand of what I wanted it to look like and tried to match that. It had lived most of its life in a field I think but the inside of the engine was surprisingly clean.

Ugly? :unsure: Not your bike for sure, IMHO, I think these shafties are just as good looking as any chain MkII. To me the only drawback to the look of the pumpkin was the original color, makes it stand out more for sure, that might be some of why the chain purists poo-poo it.

Great job Tim, absolutely fantastic looking! You did a great job on the paint scheme and I think you have settled my mind on whether to go chrome or black on mine to replace my pipes. Are you putting the 28's back on or have something else in mind?

I'm interested in hearing how the ZRX1200 shocks ride/handle for you, I have a shot at getting the ones off my old ZRX that I sold as the new owner wants to go with a set off of a 1100 as he has been told the dampening is more akin to what he wants on those. I still like the idea of restoring the Marz and putting them on but I have a lot of work to do to them.

Don't know how you ride but if you're a corner junkie then be prepared to feel the little bit of jacking it will give when you roll-on coming out, it's not deadly or anything but you will notice it, you adapt to it.

Keep up the good work and post more glamor shots!

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
05 Jul 2011 21:15 - 05 Jul 2011 21:16 #461200 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done

KZ_Rage wrote:

KZ250LTD wrote: Thanks all! I actually got the bike two years ago and it lit on fire the second time I rode it. I rewired the entire bike with new coils/igniter/reg&rect etc but it was still blowing fire out the carbs and had chunks of the orange adhesive from on the rotor coming out in the oil so I put it in the shed until I got sick of it sitting there.

The list of things done:
-cylinders honed
-new rings
-new SS valves + springs
-coils
-petcock rebuild
-new carb boots
-steering bearings
-fork seals
-ELR black Kerker 4-1

I guess I'll find out whether I like it now that I can almost ride it. In my opinion it is one of the more ugly KZ's ever made so I just did a photoshop beforehand of what I wanted it to look like and tried to match that. It had lived most of its life in a field I think but the inside of the engine was surprisingly clean.

Ugly? :unsure: Not your bike for sure, IMHO, I think these shafties are just as good looking as any chain MkII. To me the only drawback to the look of the pumpkin was the original color, makes it stand out more for sure, that might be some of why the chain purists poo-poo it.

IMO in its stock configuration the ST is a whale-looking bike, the original pipes certainly don't help nor does the rear fender. That is why I did the photoshop beforehand, to see what ways I could make it look better and it actually ended up fairly close to the chop:
original

photoshop

Great job Tim, absolutely fantastic looking! You did a great job on the paint scheme and I think you have settled my mind on whether to go chrome or black on mine to replace my pipes. Are you putting the 28's back on or have something else in mind?

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, the stock carbs and airbox are going back on. In a few years when I have the money it'll be bored and flowed with CR carbs but for now I'm just going to ride.

My low profile filter cover arrived today so now I just have to install that, adjust the valves and my tank should be getting lined tomorrow and I'll get to see if she runs!

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2011 21:16 by KZ250LTD.