1979 KZ1000ST almost done

More
01 Oct 2011 19:19 #480826 by asunnde
Replied by asunnde on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
I am reworking a 79 KZ1000ST also and am very curious about your shocks and how you like them. Were they a direct fit? I have been taking my project very slow but I'm almost done with the first stage: carb rebuild, reseal tank (and fix pinhole rust), exhaust, tires (404's), battery, and some random powdercoated pieces. Next year: suspension, engine rebuild and blackened, handlebars. I'm 6'8" so these tall bikes are perfect! Any info helps! Your bike looks great BTW!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2011 15:00 #481720 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic 1979 KZ1000ST almost done
fxdl2051, not sure if the shocks were the same length as stock as I didn't have the stock ones on the bike when i got it. I believe they are around 14.5 eye to eye but that's just going by memory so it could be wrong. I'd check for you but I'm living about 3 hrs away from the bike at the moment

asunnde, the shocks were not quite a direct fit. The lower bushings were too small to fit onto the ST studs so I pounded out the original metal sleeve and pounded in a larger sleeve from the shocks that were on the bike (not really a recommended way of doing it). Other than that and some washers behind the nuts to stop the shocks from shifting around they fit right on.
Shocks performed far better than the stockers on our trip, haven't had a chance to do much riding without 100lbs of luggage on the back but they're good so far

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.