81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"

More
26 Feb 2011 14:02 #433579 by z650c3
Replied by z650c3 on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
Neat looking streetfighter NRC , very different . Looking forward to see what way the bike ends up for such a small budget. Looking good already. keep the pics coming too .

All the best

C3

1979 z650 c3 first registered in 1981
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCR
Northern Ireland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2011 22:26 - 28 May 2011 22:28 #454050 by ninjaracerchick
Replied by ninjaracerchick on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
Well its been a while since ive posted... ive been swamped with vehicle projects and housework and just havent had much time to make decent progress on the bike until now.

on a random check of craigslist found a big box of 650 parts for $50. bought it cause i knew it had a new speedo and cable (had been seeing those two for 50 or more so figured anything else in there i could use was a bonus) turns out it had lots of goodies i could use, mostly because my bike has seen lots of outside time. so i got some great controls great wiring harness etc. when im closer to finished with this project ill post a box of stuff with my parts and stuff i didnt need outa this box for $50 and help someone else out!

also got a good set of stock headers w/o the holes and dents and rust mine had for $80

got some led's for $3 and soidered turn signals into my brake lights. ive found thru experience on my fighter that cops over here are turning into deushbags so i decided to run a taillight on each side of the swinger with integrated turns

6" trailer fender, still have half of it left if anyone wants to throw a few bucks my way its yours

not the prettiest from the back

but looks good on the top =) nice weaved vinyl

planning on keeping the front fender but choppin it down a bit to fit the look of the rear and get rid of some dents

finally got some extra hands to get this beast out so i can clean her up!

next step is preppin the frame for paint!

im hopin i can get the frame n engine ready and reassembled before i leave for vacation in a lil more than two weeks. should be accomplishable!

its sex drippin on the pavement when we ride!
81 kz650csr "evelynn" my newest oldest ride choppy chop
06 zx-10r "felicia" my regular rider n track lady
01 zx-6r "vanessa" my 1st child n now streetfighter
Last edit: 28 May 2011 22:28 by ninjaracerchick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Popeye210

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 May 2011 23:06 #454060 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
I hope the project turns out as you would hope for. I don't know if I could ride a Hard tail for more than 10 feet, but that's just me=Bad Back. Other wise good to see the progress the pictures and that there really is a chick into Bikes! Keep up the good work!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 May 2011 00:29 #454066 by ninjaracerchick

Motor Head wrote: I don't know if I could ride a Hard tail for more than 10 feet, but that's just me=Bad Back.

haha we'll see. i know its not goin to be that comfortable, but i already have a fighter and a souped up 1000cc streetbike.... what do i need another bike with suspension for?

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jun 2011 23:09 #459847 by ninjaracerchick
well ive made some progress, most of it was done before i went on vacation for two weeks. got all of my frame and random parts prepped and painted. powdercoating was a thought but on a budget build its not really an option, even with a hook up on a good powdercoater it still woulda run me 200. today i spent time getting all the old ball bearing parts out since i decided to switch to a more modern all balls kit. and did some assembly and test fitting, got my fender drilled and mounted (minus some nuts that fit), and tried to get an idea of where im going to put my speedo

mounted up one of my taillights on the bracket to get an idea of the finished look. the left side also is the license plate mount. tomorrow im hoping to get crackin on cleanin up the engine to get it ready to throw back in. im still undecided on if im going to paint the whole block or just remove covers and paint those......

• Motor Head
  • User
More
29 Jun 2011 00:26 #460065 by Motor Head
Keep posting up the progress on the build, your thread has a lot of views. So as you post I'm sure there will be replys and questions as it comes together. Cheers.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jul 2011 20:02 #463385 by ninjaracerchick
progress has been constant, im chuggin away at this point.

got some new rubber, dunlop 404's. the tires on her wernt too worn, but were mismatching and fairly dated so its best to start fresh.

definately needed to do somethin with the wheels, this is what i chose. took a good amount of time but i think it was worth it.

as soon as the wheels were dry i got a rolling frame going again!

then i recruited four of my guy friends to come over for a beer and an engine install. definately worth it! made it 100times easier to get it in the frame without fuckin up my fresh not heat cured (till the engine is running) paint, and being able to bolt her in easily.

i decided against painting the whole engine, but opted to paint just the covers also giving me a chance to replace gaskets and make sure things in there looked kosher.

tied into the wheels by doing the valve cover and two side covers with detail and writing black and white. all the other covers and the pedals are all black with the exception of the kickstart which i decided to do white.

now its a waiting game. the gasket set is on the way. while im waiting im going to work on a battery mount and try to start working the wiring harness back on. i also need to figure out what im doing with the exhaust...

the exhaust i purchased is in great condition but the mufflers are gone, my plan was to run some straight pipes anyways. wondering if any of you have at good set up thats mostly stock minus mufflers? am i going to need/want to run baffles? and how should i go about that if i should?

More
18 Jul 2011 00:41 - 18 Jul 2011 00:45 #463437 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic 81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"
I could be wrong, but I always thought that baffles helped out with the backpressure? Just to make sure everything gets burned right. I took the baffles out of an old harley I had, and every 3 months or so, I had to take the plugs out and clean off a bunch of carbon. (Come to think about it, running a flame thrower in my exhaust probably wasn't the best idea then either. Whoops! :unsure: )

The bike is coming together beautifully. You have a great aesthetic look, and with the work on the covers you did, I think it'll really set it off nicely.
I do have a question for you though. The LED's you wired in, can they run off the original turn signal wires, or will you have to install something to make them blink instead of just staying on? I was thinking of doing something similar with my build, but was unsure of the best way to go about it.

Edit: Oh, and as for the motor. Have you thought about setting it on its side, on an old tire or something, lowering the frame over it, bolting it up, and then picking the frame back up? Should minimize scratching...

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive
Last edit: 18 Jul 2011 00:45 by Chaotic Reason.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
25 Jul 2011 18:56 #464864 by Motor Head
You should check/ adjust your valve clearances while there, if you haven't already. That is one sharp paint scheme, is it all rattle can? Sure looks nice and clean.

More
25 Jul 2011 19:35 #464871 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
you got me watching

i LIKE it

nice work

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
25 Jul 2011 22:44 #464922 by Tested
Replied by Tested on topic 81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"
Looking good. Cant wait to see the engine in it.

2008 KLR 650

1977 KZ 750

_____ Have had _____

1981 KZ 440
1970's CR 125
1982 KLX 175

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
26 Jul 2011 00:29 #464966 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"
Glad to see you back working on your project. I'm diggin the white spokes with black rims. Keep up the good work. Motorhead is right, sometimes you have a lot of people watching and not commenting. I found out about that after my build through numerous pm's. Keep posting because we love the pictures. :)

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN