81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Feb 2011 17:44 #431644 by ninjaracerchick
81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN" was created by ninjaracerchick
finally starting a thread as im now consistantly making strides each week on this project. almost a year ago i bought an 81 kz650 in running condition with title for $300 bucks, i did pay for rust too haha! i didnt have time to work on it then as i was still in the middle of my 01 zx6r streetfighter project.

This is definately going to be a budget build. im trying to keep it under $1000 including the cost of the bike and plan to list costs and running total as i go. the only thing that may put me over that limit is welding costs. im turning this bike into a hardtail, but welding is the only thing i am not doing myself since i have almost no skill. im even trying my hand at rebuilding the carbs, ive always been too scared, but figure what do i have to lose!

here she is right after picking her up

hacking all of the subframe off so i dont have to pay my welder as much prep time

finished pulling the electrical harness last week, left one shock attached for easier movement. since this is a budget build and i dont have the money to do a custom hardtail i am planning to have the swinger immobilized instead.

made cardboard templets and transfered to alum. washington has gotten very strict over the last year (ive been pulled over 6 times since sept on my fighter, mostly for lighting and tag visibility) so i am doing two star taillights, in which i will intergrate the turn signals, with the plate mounted horizontally. im going to reuse the bottom shock mounts on the swinger for these

rough sanded left and right

also custom made my front seat pivot for less than a dollar rather than 15-20bucks

bought this seat pan and springs last week, not sure if i will cover it with a marine grade vinyl that will stay looking perfect thru sun and nasty weather or splurge with leather

took this last wednsday before loading up to take her to the welder thursday, just love the composition.

my welder is giving me a screaming deal on welding since the company i work for brings them lots of work and he doesnt usually get to do fun projects like this. so hes doing it after shop normal hours for a rate of $25hr plus supplies (about 25-30bucks) rather than their shop rate of $80! hell yeah! i may have to wait a little bit longer but i know i will still get quality work and ill have more budget for fun stuff!

breakdown so far including shipping if applicable
Bike - 317
Taillights - 48
Aluminum stock - 5.50
Seat pan n Springs - 42

Total - $412.50

oh, and a tattoo ive been working on, got more added on to it friday. still more to go but getting there

its sex drippin on the pavement when we ride!
81 kz650csr "evelynn" my newest oldest ride choppy chop
06 zx-10r "felicia" my regular rider n track lady
01 zx-6r "vanessa" my 1st child n now streetfighter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2011 18:11 #431651 by vosberdv1975
Replied by vosberdv1975 on topic 81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"
Thats pretty cool. I'm in the wiring stages of mine. i chopped my 300 dollar ebay find. I stretched it 6 inches. Put a springer on it, stock rake. I still have to cut my forks down and build some 7/8 z-bars. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of yours! I will try to upload some if you would like to see

More
18 Feb 2011 20:08 #431685 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
Looks good. Keep the good stuff coming.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Feb 2011 22:00 #431718 by ninjaracerchick
Replied by ninjaracerchick on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
vosberdv1975 wrote:

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of yours! I will try to upload some if you would like to see

definately! i love looking at what other people are doing to help get ideas. everyone has such different thoughts in their minds its good to collaborate!

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2011 15:34 #432958 by ninjaracerchick
Replied by ninjaracerchick on topic 81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"
well its been a few. my welding project has not been first on the list just because im getting waaayyyy under shop rate. so i have been shopping for parts and working on what few parts i have here until i get the rest back. went to my welders shop last night and we able to make a few decisions before they complete the job

im loving how the new framing is flowing with the bike, if i had more money to spend i would have loved to switch out the tank and be able to squeeze the seat in there all low like. my welder is going to mod the spring bolts on the seat pan so it can sit as close to the wheel as possible on some perches without getting in the way of the fender. we will find out when i start hitting bumps if its ness for me to buy some 4" springs :).

also have gotten the carbs fully disassembled. im not as freaked out now that i have them apart, ive just made sure to take notes and pics and kept all four carb parts separate so its easy to get them back together. I have definately been able to see many things that could definately been a reason why she wasnt running perfect and jetting her will help im sure.

i should be getting the bike back complete from the welder by friday! which would be great since its been snowing everyday and i dont want that frame to get wet while the frame is bare. i have also purchased quite a few parts so heres the break down.

prev total 412.50
carb jet n gaskets 95.99
10leds to insert in
brake lights for turn 5.00
headlight 45.00
exhaust (mine was past
the point of repair)100.00
heat wrap and ties 32.00

running total 690.49

More
23 Feb 2011 16:24 #432976 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"
looking good,ive never been ambitious enough to tear a set of carbs down that far. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
24 Feb 2011 06:53 #433096 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"
a quote from malcom holcombes' song evelyn.

ninety miles an hour
trippin' on a grin
knocked under my feet

project looks good.
the frame rails runnin uphill,kinda offends my sense of neatness.:silly:
maybe a shorter front end or some rake in the neck.just an observation.
i love gearhead ink,going for a full sleeve?

keep us posted,

leon

p.s.how bout pics of the streetfighter?

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• john8
  • User
  • Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
More
25 Feb 2011 09:08 #433326 by john8
Replied by john8 on topic 81 kz650 bobber build "EVELYNN"
So... you kept the same swing arm, cut the rear down and put pipe from the down tube into the rear of the frame? What made you keep the old swing arm and not just repalce it with a conventional hard tail?

I want to ride my bicycle!!!

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Feb 2011 13:32 #433402 by ninjaracerchick
Replied by ninjaracerchick on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
john8 wrote:

What made you keep the old swing arm and not just repalce it with a conventional hard tail?

$$$$$ its all about the $$$$$ if i could weld it wouldnt matter how long it took, but thats not something im experienced with at all. i was able to get the swinger immobilized for 150 including materials, cant beat that!

heres my fighter "vanessa" the project i finally finished last year 01 zx6r

More
25 Feb 2011 13:50 #433408 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
wow,cool bike!

so you are one of those bike naming people :silly: !

:P

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
25 Feb 2011 14:35 #433413 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
Sweet fighter! That's right up my alley

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

• john8
  • User
  • Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
More
26 Feb 2011 09:14 #433536 by john8
Replied by john8 on topic 81 kz650 bobber build
I understand that. Cool street fighter. Keep the pics coming, I want to see how this one comes out.

I want to ride my bicycle!!!