Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 18 Jan 2011 14:06 #423318

• royalratch
  • royalratch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Cheers for that dude.

I figured I'd have to use an offset sprocket. Tyre will be a 150 or 160 tyre.

My question would then be by dishing the hub out to get my best chainline (and keeping the rim centred to the frame / front wheel) what about the rear disc? Shpould I space that out or fab the caliper mount to meet the disc?

And how much is too much dish-wise before the load from the engine and brake force tears the thing to shreds on what is essentially an unbalanced wheel?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 18 Jan 2011 15:19 #423332

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Aside from 'dish' (which I don't know a whole lot about) another thing to consider is chain to frame clearance.

On my 650 I'm running a 14mm offset front sprocket with a washer behind it, which puts me at around 16-18mm offset at front.

This is about as wide as you can go without altering the frame, I have some 4-5 mm clearance between chain and frame and don't really want to go any closer.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 18 Jan 2011 15:32 #423334

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
royalratch wrote:

Cheers for that dude.

I figured I'd have to use an offset sprocket. Tyre will be a 150 or 160 tyre.

My question would then be by dishing the hub out to get my best chainline (and keeping the rim centred to the frame / front wheel) what about the rear disc? Shpould I space that out or fab the caliper mount to meet the disc?

And how much is too much dish-wise before the load from the engine and brake force tears the thing to shreds on what is essentially an unbalanced wheel?

I see three options for dealing with the caliper position.

1) Use the caliper and hanger intended for the swingarm, and have a disk made to align. Sounds pricey.

2) Use what ever combination of disk and caliper that you choose, and have a hanger machined. Probably a little cheaper than having the disk made. This would be my most likely choice.

3) Use the caliper and hanger intended for the swingarm, and have a spacer machined to align the disk. This assumes that the disk would need spacing out. Probably the cheapest option, but I don't like adding spacers between the disk and hub.

Now on the dish issue. Obviously you want the dish at a minimum, but not for the obvious reason. The key factor with a spoked wheel is the transmission of drive or breaking through the spokes. Now on a bicycle, the convention is to to offset to the drive side since the cassette is relatively wide. This also has a positive side effect. The shorter spokes are actually a little stronger. The off side spokes take less of the torque, and so their strength isn't as critical. Offset is better in this case. Now the motorcycle needs them more balanced since you have drive and breaking on opposite sides of the hub. The dish really doesn't have much effect on balance except that it puts more load on the bearings of one side of the hub. Most motorcycle hubs have a third bearing in the sprocket side of the cush drive which offsets this anyway.

With your 150 or 160 tire, hopefully you won't need too much counterahaft sprocket offset. I'm running a 180 and needed 1/2" offset on a KZ1000.

Stay tuned for pictures to demonstrate dish. Give me a second.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 18 Jan 2011 15:43 #423339

• testarossa
  • User
Ok let me try for a graphic demonstration of dish using my road race bicycle. First picture is the front wheel with no dish:

Don't forget to click the pictures to enlarge:

Notice the spokes are angled evenly on both sides of the wheel. Now lets look at the rear wheel:

Hopefully you can see that the spokes are angled off one side, but you cannot see the spokes on the drive side. This bike uses a relatively wide 10 speed Shimano cassette. This drivetrain requires a lot of dish to center the wheel in the frame. Basically the drive side spokes are nearly straight in line with the centerline of the rim. The off side spokes are significantly longer and at a much greater angle.

I need to add that I am really enjoying your thread. You are causing me to have to think a little. That's a good thing. Cheers!
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Last edit: by testarossa.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 18 Jan 2011 17:00 #423372

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
is this rim from a stock KTM bike?
it would be beneficial to u , to get a hold of the intended KTM,rear brakes cal , hanger, and wheel spacers from Ebay before u get carried away?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 19 Jan 2011 07:09 #423493

• royalratch
  • User
Not really.

I'm using an 90's Kawasaki swingarm and KZ750 chainline with a 150/160 rear tyre.

The rear wheel is just a custom SuperMoto wheel that is close to KTM spec but not for a KTM specifically. Rim size/width is 17" / 4.25".

I'm going to get my chainline sorted then probably have the a mix of minimal spacer and custom caliper mount to get the brake side correct.

It's a custom - so customize I will!

Last edit: by royalratch.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 19 Jan 2011 07:33 #423502

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
ratch,
don't forget to take planty of pictures!:laugh:

i am really enjoying following along on this thread,
keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 04 Feb 2011 07:19 #428354

• royalratch
  • User
Rearsets arrived!

Prefer these to fancy intricate type as they're a bit chunkier and 'period-ish' looking. Need to be anodized Black tho which will destroy the PTFE coating in the joints.

Guys - which ends goes to the shifter rod - and does it look like it will work...?

Yum yum!

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 04 Feb 2011 08:05 #428383

• testarossa
  • User
Ratch, I would connect the end with the balljoint to the rearset, and then sort out the other end when I figured out what sort of a linkage was being attached to the splined shift shaft. You might have an issue with that straight connecting rod conflicting with your sidestand. Just something to check out before you get to final assembly.

I like the look of those rear sets. Where did they come from? Same machine shop that did your triple trees?
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 04 Feb 2011 09:07 #428404

• royalratch
  • User
No. This is a small race supplies firm that sells them to fit most sports bikes. They're not mass made and marketed - each set are machined in small batches and are not immaculately finished - kind of in fitting with the GP style.

I just found all the factory rear seats and hi-end versions too fancy and wanted something a bit more butch and period looking, rather than obviously 'stick on.'

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 04 Feb 2011 09:16 #428406

• testarossa
  • User
That's about the same reason that I made my own.
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 04 Feb 2011 09:26 #428409

• bearshawk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
this bike is absolutely amazing...the wheels...the ohlins...the brembo mc....dear god i think im in love

props on the great build and the awesome thorough thought process!

Bearshawk
1978 kz650 sr- long time project/first bike mostly gone
1979 kz659 sr- new acquisition NEXT project GONE

Both 650s combined to make one great bike! with a new powerplant

it is a 79 frame, 78 front end, both 78 wheels and brakes, 78 body work and a 80' 750-4 motor with gpz 750 cams and a kerker and...