KZ 1000 Mk II 1980

More
30 Mar 2011 17:55 - 13 Feb 2012 18:59 #441462 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 18:59 by KZ250LTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2011 18:18 #441465 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980

alduxvm wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote: it kinda sounds like you need to make sure that whoever down there does the work...they know a bit about KZ's...

before folks start giving you options...maybe you can give us a little info about the person/persons that are taking the motor apart so far...where is the bike now...did you take it apart?...if so do you now have a good manual...is the piston and rings and sleeves the only issue or do you really need/ want to redo the valves and the timing assembly/chain gears rollers too....

if you are the one taking the motor apart and if the stripped plug can be heli coiled by you or your mechanic...then you may be able to buy the top end from another MKII that had low miles and put those items on your bike to try and get a cheap fix...this is just a matter of locating a suitable top end and re-assembling the engine and gaskets..checking things by the manual as you go...even with a clean used top end and shipping and gaskets and labor you can hit a 1000$ before you know it...

if you can arrange shipping your block/sleeves to someone ( say maybe Larry)and buying the big bore kit first ,shipping it too...then you could do the head work through a shop in mexico and save by just shipping one part...or ship some at a time and save for the head to ship to Larry next if can do them seperate...ect... i bet...or simply repair the head you have ....maybe....either way there is no cheap way out of the woods once this much work is taken on...and saving 1000$ after spending the first 1000 can create it's own headaches....only you and your bank account can tell what the next step is...many members here at KZR (ME) struggle with trying to find shortcuts to save money,only to find later we wasted money on junk ,where new would have been the right choice...and nothing says this bike has to run right away..maybe move the goal longer and build as funds allow the right stuff and not hack job fixes...keep your eyes peeled for bikes (KZ1000MKII) for sale..you found one...what to say that you find another or a engine down there already to use...

these bikes are great but if the one you buy has issues...it can cost soooooo much to get it right again that it can only be a looked at as a expensive luxury hobby and take it on the chin and move forward...

Hi!!

the bike is in a workshop, a mechanic is taking it apart, he told me that the gap between the rings and the groove was wrong.

i have the kz 1000 mkii workshop manual, im going to measure the gap to see if that mechanic is correct, i have in my posesion the middle part of the engine and one piston, im going to take them to other mechanic to obtain more information about it.

the mechanic that is working on my bike, told me that my cam chain was a little bit damage, that is best to change it, also the cam chain guide is broken, but he says that the rollers and the idler is good, i was under the impression that the part that gets more damage with the time is the idler, but he says its ok... this mechanic has his workshop near my house, thats why i choose him, i dont really now if he is good or bad, but that workshop has like 15 years open, and has lots and lots of motorcycles, but i cant tell if he is good...

i have been looking for engins in mexico, but there is no too much of that here, so almost everything must be from usa...

ill take the measurements of my cylinders today and ill post them...

thanks!!

If you measure the ring grooves, there's a good chance Hastings can provide you with rings to fit. That is if you're looking to save money. You can find Hastings on the Internet :)

More
30 Mar 2011 21:56 #441535 by alduxvm
Replied by alduxvm on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Ok, i measure the grooves on my piston:

top: 1.37mm
middle: 1.49mm
oil: 2.95mm

in the manual, the grooves width service limit is as follows:

top: 1.33mm
middle: 1.32mm
oil: 2.60mm

so, my pistons are bad... hehehehe

but, larry recommend me to find the rings in hastings, so i did:

my piston is 70mm so, i go to the 2.756 in page:

www.hastingsmfg.com/RingFinderDiametrica...s.aspx?AppMACD=2.756

and i guess i can use the model 2C5013

top: 1.5mm
middle: 1.5mm
oil: 3mm

and just reduce the top one .1 mm, is this ok?? or what ring can i choose???

thanks!!

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Apr 2011 13:35 #442167 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
yawn....scratch scratch

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
11 Apr 2011 14:51 #444082 by alduxvm
Replied by alduxvm on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Hi!!!

i found a opportunity!!

in mexico, its a kz 1000 st 1980, with originals 14000 km (the vendor says...)

he is sell in it at 30000 pesos, like 2500 dollars...

im going to go to see it, but by the pictures the bike looks fine...

and my mkii leave for when i got more money, and ill have two kawas!!!! yey!!!!

opinions???
Attachments: