KZ 1000 Mk II 1980

More
06 Oct 2010 14:47 #404594 by alduxvm
KZ 1000 Mk II 1980 was created by alduxvm
Hi!!!

How are you??

Im a young engineer and a super entusiast of the KZ 1000, since i was a kid i fall in love of this bike, i live in mexico, and recently (2 weeks ago) i bought a Kz 1000 mkii 1980. The history is as follows...

This machine cost me around 1800 dlls, it was a little bit pricey, but it was not demolish like the kz you use to found on mexico, hehehehe, so i decide to buy it.

The motor was working, i even take it home driving it, when i looked on the mirror, the bike was leaving a big trail of smoke, blue smoke, in some corners i could feel some instability and insecurity in the front suspension of the bike, and the engine was backfiring like crazy, in one stop i started to smell gas, so i checked the carburators and for my surprise all the engine was covered on gas, i was a little scared, i checked the petcock and it was on prime, i put it on ON and carry on, suddenly the motor started to feel very unpowerful, so i stop and the engine stopped... i check the engine, and it was leaking oil from the seals on the engine, the ones on the cylinders... the engine did not turn on again, so i had to call a tow, and by the tow i finally get home.

The last owner told me that he just recently had change the valve seals, and the cylinder rings, because there were no compresion on the cylinders, and told me that the engine was doing great.. but i experienced another thing, hehehehe

So, i started to check the engine, i check the petcock, it was ok, then i manage to turn again the engine, and the cylinders 3 and 4 are not working... the mufflers 1 and 2 are hot, 3 and 4 are cold...

i check the sparkplugs, 1 and 2 where super burned, and 3-4 where super wet... so i check the ingition system, and the spark is very weak, i have to get very close to the cable to actually see the spark...

and the other problem that arose was that the spark plug 2 damage the "cord" (not sure of the term) of the engine head, so i cannot put it back again...

my question is, what do i do now?? change coils?? clean carburator?? sync carbs?? check spark plugs cables??

im not a mechanic engineer, in a mechatronic engineer, a little more specialized on control and electronics... and i really want to have a excellent engine, its better to take it to a "real" mechanic?? or to do it myself?? if i take to a official kawasaki store, can they fix my bike??

sorry if i have spelling errors... hehehe

Thanks a lot!!

Cheers!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
06 Oct 2010 19:29 #404698 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
welcome..is your bike a chain or shaft drive...

do you have a manual

you need to do a compression test ,the blue smoke is a bad thing...

sounds like you know enough to get started on it....

welcome

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
06 Oct 2010 19:53 #404703 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Welcome to the madness...:silly:

It looks like there are multiple problems, which is not unusual on a 30 year old bike that many people have worked on.

I think it might be prudent to insure that you have a good battery, then do a compression test (a leak down test would be even better), then check valve clearances and the condition of the cam chain. Then I'd check for full voltage at the ignition coils. You will then have a better idea of whether or not you want to go farther.

If so, then the cylinder head and cylinder block will need to come off so that you can address the oil leak, the goobered up spark plug threads, and whatever other problems were diagnosed along the way . A genuine factory shop manual will be invaluable for all this.

I don't know about Kawasaki shops in Mexico City, but north of the Rio Grande they will not touch a bike that old. A good independent shop could do this if you have the money, otherwise you will need to apply your own skills and determination to the project along with the help of a bunch of knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
06 Oct 2010 21:04 #404736 by alduxvm
Replied by alduxvm on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Hi!!

Thanks for the welcome, hehehehe

My bike got chain...

i still don't have the manual :(, anyone has it on pdf??

the battery is smaller than the regular, but its in good condition, my plan is as follows:

- Make the spark plug fits again on the thread
- Clean carbs
- Buy air filters
- Check resistance on ignition cables and on coils.
- Try to turn again the engine.

After all that i will continue with the compression tests, and valve clearance...

I feel a little bit of desperation!!! i want to ride it!!! and i cant!!! damn!!!

For example, in USA, on a independent workshop how much will it cost to rebuild my engine?? and approximate??

thanks again!!

More
06 Oct 2010 21:15 #404742 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
try tuning it up before you condem it,what part of mexico do you hang out in? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
06 Oct 2010 21:25 #404745 by alduxvm
Replied by alduxvm on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Mexico City!!!

Ill try!! hehehehe

More
07 Oct 2010 07:14 #404817 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
www.z1enterprises.com/
that is where you can get parts.

welcome.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
07 Oct 2010 08:12 - 07 Oct 2010 08:22 #404844 by trianglelaguna
the standard KZ1000 factory shop manuals are super close on most stuff....what you will need in my opinion is a factory manual that has in depth chapters on your exact variation...1980 KZ1000-MKII

try this link
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-Worksho...&hash=item3cb1619006

to get a high quality manual...i bought one here and can say it is one of the nicest i have ever seen...it lays flat to because it has a"spiral back" so it stays open while you read/work.....if you have any questions contact the guy and he will answer em before you buy........

also check this KZrider archive link...
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_content...iew&id=101&Itemid=50

it tells what frame numbers each yr should have had...your chain drive may be a 79 and the motor not being blacked out some makes me wonder if it was replaced.....can you post a pic that will enlarge when clicked?

see my "tri scores a barn find MKII" thread and click on a pic..it shows details....

what did you mean by sparkplug fit the thread,,,,,was it crossthreaded?

i got a really good battery cheap at wal mart for the MKII and i recomend getting a good new battery if yours id not the right one.....it makes a big differnece when working on the bike and turning things on and off/carbs not pumping ect ect..weak spark......

your head light may stay on all the time when your riding(no off switch) so i removed my headlight fuse for the weeks i was working on the bike and put it back when i got it running

someone here also turned me onto a free download for re-sizing pictures "VSO free image resizer download" it only take a few seconds...few tries to learn...and it allows folks to click and enlarge pics i post at 1200x1200 size to the whole screen size...see my example below

good luck and welcmoe

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 08:22 by trianglelaguna.

More
07 Oct 2010 08:43 #404849 by PLUMMEN
trianglelaguna wrote:

the standard KZ1000 factory shop manuals are super close on most stuff....what you will need in my opinion is a factory manual that has in depth chapters on your exact variation...1980 KZ1000-MKII

try this link
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-Worksho...&hash=item3cb1619006

to get a high quality manual...i bought one here and can say it is one of the nicest i have ever seen...it lays flat to because it has a"spiral back" so it stays open while you read/work.....if you have any questions contact the guy and he will answer em before you buy........

also check this KZrider archive link...
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_content...iew&id=101&Itemid=50

it tells what frame numbers each yr should have had...your chain drive may be a 79 and the motor not being blacked out some makes me wonder if it was replaced.....can you post a pic that will enlarge when clicked?

see my "tri scores a barn find MKII" thread and click on a pic..it shows details....

what did you mean by sparkplug fit the thread,,,,,was it crossthreaded?

i got a really good battery cheap at wal mart for the MKII and i recomend getting a good new battery if yours id not the right one.....it makes a big differnece when working on the bike and turning things on and off/carbs not pumping ect ect..weak spark......

your head light may stay on all the time when your riding(no off switch) so i removed my headlight fuse for the weeks i was working on the bike and put it back when i got it running

someone here also turned me onto a free download for re-sizing pictures "VSO free image resizer download" it only take a few seconds...few tries to learn...and it allows folks to click and enlarge pics i post at 1200x1200 size to the whole screen size...see my example below

good luck and welcmoe

uh his motor looks black to me anyway B)

pull the valve cover off and count the teeth on cam sprockets,should be 16 on each if its the right motor(im guessing it is)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
07 Oct 2010 08:49 #404851 by trianglelaguna
good eye jimbo ..i cant see so good,,,the clucth and timing cover are not blacked out where they should have been so i just focused on those.....the engine numbers tell if it's a MKII if they line up with the title also...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
07 Oct 2010 09:02 #404863 by trianglelaguna
speaking of counting teeth...did you get that toothbrush i sent you.....it has instructions on the back..use it

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
07 Oct 2010 09:08 #404867 by PLUMMEN
trianglelaguna wrote:

speaking of counting teeth...did you get that toothbrush i sent you.....it has instructions on the back..use it

oh you so funny guy! :woohoo:

Attachments: