KZ 1000 Mk II 1980

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Oct 2010 16:41 #406426 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
no no no homeboy...let us hear what color your thinking about and how are you coming on your bitchin MKII,,,,,what is next.......those 28mm pumper carbs are hard to get running i keep hearing.....you getting the motor compression numbers going????????

i think black 4me

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2010 20:22 #410020 by alduxvm
Replied by alduxvm on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Hi again!!

i was thinking... how about if i buy a new engine??? i presume that is easy to find the complete engine new, right??

anyone knows where can i get a new kz 1000 engine???

it will be very expensive??

what will be better, repair my engine or buy a new one???

thanks!!

cheers!!

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 Oct 2010 09:37 - 31 Oct 2010 09:39 #410068 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
i guess the question is...

how much would it cost to rebuild your engine?

and the starting point is ,what is wrong now and how in depth you want to go....

there are "refurbished MKII engines" complete on e-bay right now.....the builder is well known...the parts and labor and quality is top notch and extensive....the price is very high,but almost a bargain compared to shipping your motor to a top rated pro and then ordering all the stuff...shipping,cost for the parts,tax,labor,and then shipping it back to you......

if you have the money then by all means get a refurbished engine.....

the only snag there in my opinion is that once you pull the trigger on a high money purchase.....

life can play games and a low miles MKII can appear localy for half the money you just spent......

talk to Larry Cavanaugh ...google it......he can advise you ,as to what you may be able to do in stages on your motor and will steer you right...he does work for many members here and will not sell you stuff you do not need...

good luck....

p.s ...why a engine replacement???...where are you at on the bike at this stage...pics????

here is another pic to keep you motivated...1980 MKII superbike AMA racer

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 31 Oct 2010 09:39 by trianglelaguna.

More
31 Oct 2010 10:10 #410071 by alduxvm
ive havent been able to do much!!! damn work!! hahahaahaha, but i think that the rings are bad, also the valves, and the last time the engine run, it was producing tons of smoke, at low rpms and hi rpms... i have a cross threaded spark hole...

i dont have the money for the engine... but i think i can save it... the guy in ebay sell the engine at 4325 dlls, the bike cost me 1800 dlls, hehehehehe.

but i definitly prefer to buy the engine, because honestly the mechanics in mexico sucks... they are veryyyyyyyy bad people, i dont trust them... ill need to find someone that ill trust.

and if i buy a new engine, definitly i will have a bike that will last for 150000 km at least, and if i repair, i dont know how much life my bike will have...

still dont know what to do, hehehehehe

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2010 10:15 #410072 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Your motor can be rebuilt for a reasonable amount of money.

www.flowbenchtech.com/porting/CRH/Engine_Rebuilding.htm

Want something like this?
Attachments:

More
31 Oct 2010 10:24 #410074 by alduxvm
Yes, of course!!

i want something like that!!!

i was just reading your webpage...

i will have to send you my engine?? then you work on it, then i return it to mexico, right?? its hard to tell an estimate??? i think also needs work on carbs, and the coils are bad... hehehehe

if i want to make it 1200, how much is the difference??

do you have a rebuilt engines for sale???

do you paint to stock colors?? like the one in the picture...

10x!!!
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2010 10:33 #410077 by larrycavan
alduxvm wrote:

Yes, of course!!

i want something like that!!!

i was just reading your webpage...

i will have to send you my engine?? then you work on it, then i return it to mexico, right?? its hard to tell an estimate??? i think also needs work on carbs, and the coils are bad... hehehehe

if i want to make it 1200, how much is the difference??

do you have a rebuilt engines for sale???

do you paint to stock colors?? like the one in the picture...

10x!!!

Yes, Painting it black is no problem at all.

Tell me how you intend to realistically ride the bike and I can spec the motor to suit that purpose while keeping costs down :)

First, from looking at your photos, the engine appears to be MKII. The fins on the front of the engine are the dead give away.

The most bank for the buck is a 1075 motor with street ported head and proper camshafts. That is truly an outstanding, fun, strong running, reliable motor.

Here's an email I received recently from a rebuild customer in Connecticut I did a 1075 for earlier this summer.

Hey Larry!

Haven't spoken with you in a while, just wanted to say thanks for everything. You did a fantastic job on my engine, it runs as good as it looks, and I always get people checking out and asking about it. The time you spent answering all my questions, attention to details and telling me everything I would need to know after it was back in the frame, really shows your dedication to your customers. Your help made everything a lot easier for me, and that's really appreciated. Taking my engine to you was a very good choice.

Thanks again Larry,

Scott Petrasek

More
31 Oct 2010 11:00 #410079 by alduxvm
nice!!

yes, its a mkii from 1980...

i want a reliable engine, i dont ride on circuits or stuff like that, but i like power and speed :), im in love with this bike since i was 14, my father got one, and it was the first large bike i rode, so, i love her! hehehehe now im 25, and found this one, i took it immediately...

i intend to ride the bike for weekends, perhaps some trips, perhaps somedays take it to work... well, typical riding... nothing out of the ordinary...

wow! nice email!! im really starting to trust in you :cheer:

what do you recommend?

1200 is too much??

also, do you recommend the oil radiator??

thanks!!!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2010 11:13 #410082 by larrycavan
alduxvm wrote:

nice!!

yes, its a mkii from 1980...

i want a reliable engine, i dont ride on circuits or stuff like that, but i like power and speed :), im in love with this bike since i was 14, my father got one, and it was the first large bike i rode, so, i love her! hehehehe now im 25, and found this one, i took it immediately...

i intend to ride the bike for weekends, perhaps some trips, perhaps somedays take it to work... well, typical riding... nothing out of the ordinary...

wow! nice email!! im really starting to trust in you :cheer:

what do you recommend?

1200 is too much??

also, do you recommend the oil radiator??

thanks!!!

My 1075cc street motor will fit your needs perfectly.
We're talking on average a 40HP increase at the rear wheel. Engine will give you excellent street manners while delivering a nice punch when you grab a handful of throttle. As reliable as the stock motor but with a bunch more get up and go ;)

When you jump to 1200cc, costs rise a bunch. Here's why.

Cylinders have to be bored twice, once for the larger sleeves, then for the pistons.

Top engine case has to be bored to accept larger cylinder sleeves.

You get new stainless steel valves, rather than blasted, used valves.

I use APE guides in the head, heavy duty studs and head nuts, all new Liska cam chain idlers, all new o rings, seals, dampers etc.

What you see in the photos on my site is what you get when you open up the crate. Beauty & performance for a reasonable price with 30 years of Kawasaki experience to back it up.... ;)

More
31 Oct 2010 11:29 #410084 by alduxvm
well, then the 1075 is the option to go!

is it hard to make an estimate???

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2010 18:11 - 31 Oct 2010 18:13 #410187 by larrycavan
alduxvm wrote:

well, then the 1075 is the option to go!

is it hard to make an estimate???

Just updated my site with new package pricing.

www.flowbenchtech.com/porting/CRH/Engine_Rebuilding.htm
Last edit: 31 Oct 2010 18:13 by larrycavan.

More
28 Mar 2011 21:16 #441082 by alduxvm
Hi again!!!

long time since i post in the forum, hehehehe

well, the news are as follows, i take my kawa to the mechanic, he disarm it, and told me that the rings where installed in a bad way, so we need to change them... so, i bought the piston rings and the complete gasket kit for the kawa via z1enterprises.com

the bad news... my mechanic just called me, he told that he was going to install the rings, but the last owner had slotted the piston for that rings to fit (i guess they didnt now about z1enterprises or z1parts), and well, i think im screwed...

i need to change the pistons...

so, i started to check z1enterprises for the price on that pistons, and they sell the piston kit from wiseco...

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3222

is this the way to go??

or should i go and buy the 1075cc pistons??? they are the same price...

what does "no sleeves" mean?? do i need to buy sleeves???

if i decide for the 1075 pistons, i need to bore the engine?? what changes i need to do to fit them??

what do you recommend me??

thanks a lot!!!

cheer!!