KZ 1000 Mk II 1980

More
29 Mar 2011 02:13 - 29 Mar 2011 02:15 #441170 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Nice score on the bike! Even running rough that bike would get you about 5-6 thousand dollars up here in the states.

I would go with the 1075 kit. You will have to bore the cyliniders but it's worth it.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125
Last edit: 29 Mar 2011 02:15 by donthekawguy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2011 11:28 #441211 by alduxvm
Replied by alduxvm on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
thanks!!

i will have to bore the sleeves right?? right now they are 70mm wide, i have to bore them to 72mm, and i have to do something to the cams?? or everything else stays as it is??

More
29 Mar 2011 15:02 #441229 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
the cylinders/sleeves will need to be bored to match the new pistons.
the cams can be re-used.you will have to re-time the cams upon re-assembly.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
29 Mar 2011 16:26 #441235 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
wow dude, 4 monthes ago you were ganna have Larry build your motor. did i miss something? he is building mine and i dont have to worry about some mechanic telling me about this and that.

what happened?

More
29 Mar 2011 18:15 #441249 by alduxvm
hi!

well, my dream is to send my motor to Larry!!!!

the only issue is the money...

i live in mexico, so i have to send the motor there, its about 1000 dlls to send it, and 1200dlls to return it, and of course the 3000 dlls for the rebuild, and i have to ask like a special permit for that motor to go out off mexico, if i dont do that, ill have to pay taxes for the motor to be able to return, customs issues...

so, ill have to pay about 5200 dlls for the engine only...

my budget is not so big...

if i do the repairs in here, i will pay 600 for pistons, 250 for the sleeves and bores, and the mechanic is charging 150 for assemble the engine... of course, the mechanic is not like larry, this mechanic sucks, hehehehe

so, i still dont know what to do, hehehehe, but sending the motor to larry is unaffordable.

the other option is to buy directly a engine from larry, but i dont know if he have something in stock... ill have to pay taxes and shipment, but is one shipment less.

what would you do???

thanks!!!

More
29 Mar 2011 18:26 #441254 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
I'd buy one from Larry, if he has one. Of course if thats still unaffordable, why not do it yourself? A lot of people do their builds without Larry. I used him, and couldn't be happier, but you dont NEED to.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
29 Mar 2011 19:24 #441270 by alduxvm
This is the piston mounted:

C:\fakepath\IMG_1078.JPG

This is the oil ring (the adaptation)

[attachment:2]C:\fakepath\IMG_1079.JPG[/attachment]

this is the rings from z1enterprises, look at the gap...

[attachment:3]C:\fakepath\IMG_1081.JPG[/attachment]

more gaps:

[attachment:4]C:\fakepath\IMG_1082.JPG[/attachment]

the piston comes from a kl250, and i bought that rings...

[attachment:5]C:\fakepath\IMG_1083.JPG[/attachment]

should i change the pistons?? or can i fix those??

More
29 Mar 2011 19:26 #441272 by alduxvm
This is the piston mounted:

Attachment IMG_1078.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1079.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1081.JPG not found

more gaps:

Attachment IMG_1082.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1083.JPG not found

Attachments:

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
29 Mar 2011 19:33 #441275 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
Nuff said. It just sounded like you were set on it. $ is a biaaaatch.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Mar 2011 23:46 #441341 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980
it kinda sounds like you need to make sure that whoever down there does the work...they know a bit about KZ's...

before folks start giving you options...maybe you can give us a little info about the person/persons that are taking the motor apart so far...where is the bike now...did you take it apart?...if so do you now have a good manual...is the piston and rings and sleeves the only issue or do you really need/ want to redo the valves and the timing assembly/chain gears rollers too....

if you are the one taking the motor apart and if the stripped plug can be heli coiled by you or your mechanic...then you may be able to buy the top end from another MKII that had low miles and put those items on your bike to try and get a cheap fix...this is just a matter of locating a suitable top end and re-assembling the engine and gaskets..checking things by the manual as you go...even with a clean used top end and shipping and gaskets and labor you can hit a 1000$ before you know it...

if you can arrange shipping your block/sleeves to someone ( say maybe Larry)and buying the big bore kit first ,shipping it too...then you could do the head work through a shop in mexico and save by just shipping one part...or ship some at a time and save for the head to ship to Larry next if can do them seperate...ect... i bet...or simply repair the head you have ....maybe....either way there is no cheap way out of the woods once this much work is taken on...and saving 1000$ after spending the first 1000 can create it's own headaches....only you and your bank account can tell what the next step is...many members here at KZR (ME) struggle with trying to find shortcuts to save money,only to find later we wasted money on junk ,where new would have been the right choice...and nothing says this bike has to run right away..maybe move the goal longer and build as funds allow the right stuff and not hack job fixes...keep your eyes peeled for bikes (KZ1000MKII) for sale..you found one...what to say that you find another or a engine down there already to use...

these bikes are great but if the one you buy has issues...it can cost soooooo much to get it right again that it can only be a looked at as a expensive luxury hobby and take it on the chin and move forward...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2011 00:03 #441352 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic KZ 1000 Mk II 1980

alduxvm wrote: This is the piston mounted:

Attachment IMG_1078.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1079.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1081.JPG not found

more gaps:

Attachment IMG_1082.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1083.JPG not found

You can't tell much by the gap that way. Put the ring in the cylinder about half inch down from the top. Square it up with he piston, then check the end gap. Figure .004 inches for every inch of bore for the top two rings... If you have less, the rings need to be filed.

Regarding the oil ring. Stock is a 3 piece ring. I have never, ever had to file the rails of the oil ring pack.

The piston to cylinder clearance can be ballparked with feeler gauges. Measure that and holler back.

More
30 Mar 2011 17:19 #441457 by alduxvm

trianglelaguna wrote: it kinda sounds like you need to make sure that whoever down there does the work...they know a bit about KZ's...

before folks start giving you options...maybe you can give us a little info about the person/persons that are taking the motor apart so far...where is the bike now...did you take it apart?...if so do you now have a good manual...is the piston and rings and sleeves the only issue or do you really need/ want to redo the valves and the timing assembly/chain gears rollers too....

if you are the one taking the motor apart and if the stripped plug can be heli coiled by you or your mechanic...then you may be able to buy the top end from another MKII that had low miles and put those items on your bike to try and get a cheap fix...this is just a matter of locating a suitable top end and re-assembling the engine and gaskets..checking things by the manual as you go...even with a clean used top end and shipping and gaskets and labor you can hit a 1000$ before you know it...

if you can arrange shipping your block/sleeves to someone ( say maybe Larry)and buying the big bore kit first ,shipping it too...then you could do the head work through a shop in mexico and save by just shipping one part...or ship some at a time and save for the head to ship to Larry next if can do them seperate...ect... i bet...or simply repair the head you have ....maybe....either way there is no cheap way out of the woods once this much work is taken on...and saving 1000$ after spending the first 1000 can create it's own headaches....only you and your bank account can tell what the next step is...many members here at KZR (ME) struggle with trying to find shortcuts to save money,only to find later we wasted money on junk ,where new would have been the right choice...and nothing says this bike has to run right away..maybe move the goal longer and build as funds allow the right stuff and not hack job fixes...keep your eyes peeled for bikes (KZ1000MKII) for sale..you found one...what to say that you find another or a engine down there already to use...

these bikes are great but if the one you buy has issues...it can cost soooooo much to get it right again that it can only be a looked at as a expensive luxury hobby and take it on the chin and move forward...

Hi!!

the bike is in a workshop, a mechanic is taking it apart, he told me that the gap between the rings and the groove was wrong.

i have the kz 1000 mkii workshop manual, im going to measure the gap to see if that mechanic is correct, i have in my posesion the middle part of the engine and one piston, im going to take them to other mechanic to obtain more information about it.

the mechanic that is working on my bike, told me that my cam chain was a little bit damage, that is best to change it, also the cam chain guide is broken, but he says that the rollers and the idler is good, i was under the impression that the part that gets more damage with the time is the idler, but he says its ok... this mechanic has his workshop near my house, thats why i choose him, i dont really now if he is good or bad, but that workshop has like 15 years open, and has lots and lots of motorcycles, but i cant tell if he is good...

i have been looking for engins in mexico, but there is no too much of that here, so almost everything must be from usa...

ill take the measurements of my cylinders today and ill post them...

thanks!!