A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!

More
28 Oct 2009 08:19 #330074 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
on the fins i start with a mill file to get em flat and squared up all the way around,then block sand them. this isnt a really good picture but this is an j-early gpz style head,origionally the fins were cut at a 45 on the corners but i started rounding them off in more of early kz style.lots of little tricks have been done to doll up the outside of that head,lots more work before its done. :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2009 08:24 #330075 by PLUMMEN
heres better picture of same head being used for mock up.you can see where fins have been shaped more like kz on corners and area around cam ends has been heavily modified,also the casting from valve cover area down to plugs has been seriously cleaned up.lots more to go B)

Attachments:

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Oct 2009 08:36 - 28 Oct 2009 08:39 #330080 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
thx for the inspiration...a little push in the right direction always helps!

I won't be rounding the corners though, allthough it may be blasphemy around these parts I have no particular connection to the older kz's, so I'll be keeping it proudly J...except for maybe the points cover...DOHC looks better than a bump.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2009 08:39 by 9am53.

More
28 Oct 2009 09:32 #330090 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
permatex makes a great product for gasket removal called strangly enough gasket remover you can pick it up at any decent auto parts place spary it on and walk away for about 5 mins then come back and scrape it off you may have to do this a few times but it will save you ton's of grief also crc makes it too.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Oct 2009 09:50 #330094 by 9am53
cool, hopefully they work. I'll get some tonight and spray it on.

Let's say I use this stuff and get the mating surfaces really nice and clean, would you guys actually recommend NOT using any sealant other than the gaskets? One of the reasons I wanted to take the motor out this winter was to clean up the mess my seaping gaskets made. I thought I would use a really thin bead of loctite 515 or 518 to help in sealing (a friend recommended it).

More
28 Oct 2009 14:18 #330127 by PLUMMEN
depends on which gaskets youre talking about.on the case halves use the yama glue/seal stuff, dont have a tube in front of me for number.for any other gaskets i use except head gaskets i swear by the spray on coppercoat stuff B)

More
28 Oct 2009 20:43 - 28 Oct 2009 20:47 #330242 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
9am53 wrote:

...for the fins I was thinking using my dremel with some sanding attachment to smooth the fins down, then dremeling on some polishing compound after.

Am wondering if the natural rough texture of oem fins might dissipate heat faster than would smooth polished fins. Because the rougher finish has more surface area. :unsure:

Perhaps an insignificant difference. :)

Good Luck! :cheer:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Oct 2009 20:47 by Patton.

More
28 Oct 2009 22:01 #330249 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
This is the first time I've been a member of any forum. It's awesome. It's great how you are all so helpful and forthcoming with your knollege and advice. When I go to my local dealer getting advice is like pulling teeth. This thread has been very helpful. The engine in my 900 is probably in the same condition as yours. I'm planning to do an internal inspection as well. Rings and valve job. I too will be doing most of the myself. I will be obtaining a kz650 in the near future to practice on.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
29 Oct 2009 03:14 - 29 Oct 2009 03:15 #330257 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Trick I learned for old grumpy Plummen...

Works well and the gaskets don't over stick to the mating surfaces plus I don't get any leaks...;)

I use the RTV just over the cam end caps, just a little smear for additional sealant.

I use the 3-bond under the cam caps...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Oct 2009 03:15 by Old Man Rock.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
29 Oct 2009 04:19 #330266 by 9am53
Galactica wrote:

This is the first time I've been a member of any forum. It's awesome. It's great how you are all so helpful and forthcoming with your knollege and advice. When I go to my local dealer getting advice is like pulling teeth. This thread has been very helpful. The engine in my 900 is probably in the same condition as yours. I'm planning to do an internal inspection as well. Rings and valve job. I too will be doing most of the myself. I will be obtaining a kz650 in the near future to practice on.

Hey Galactica, I am glad you can learn from this! The whole point of this thread was to learn how to do this kind of work, and to help those in my shoes have a reference point in doing their own work.

Galactica eh? what do you think of Stargate Universe sofar?

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
29 Oct 2009 04:27 #330267 by 9am53
I tried the Permatex gasket remover last night, it helped, but not as much as I hoped. I am going to stick to the razor and patience, it got me this far! I have been soaking and scrubbing and soaking and scraping the head to remove the burn on crapola to no avail. It looks like crap still and it has been a couple weeks! Would mediablasting the head be a solution to my woes? I figure that will clean up the combustion chambers and the ports as well...

To Galactica and any other newbs preparing to do this type of thing:

No matter what you think, this will take LONGER than you expect. I started this project some time ago, and I feel I am going ot use the entire winter of working on it several nights a week and on my weekends.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
29 Oct 2009 04:29 #330268 by 9am53
Old Man Rock wrote:

Trick I learned for old grumpy Plummen...

Works well and the gaskets don't over stick to the mating surfaces plus I don't get any leaks...;)

I use the RTV just over the cam end caps, just a little smear for additional sealant.

I use the 3-bond under the cam caps...

OMR

That PLUMMEN fella seems to know what he's talking about eh? I think I will follow your lead on the gasket goops...once I get there anyways!