Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit

More
28 Nov 2008 22:00 #249878 by rayshake
Ok, This is my first motorcycle and I purchased it as a project. I'm finally feeling like I won't kill myself on a bike if I have one, so time for me to evolve into a rider or something. I hate how all the newer plastic covered bikes look as far as a street machine goes, but do appreciate the technology and track worthiness they contain. I have quite a few friends who ride, both street riders and race riders who won't even ride on the street. I'm really just looking to have some fun, learn some stuff about two wheeled machines and not look like every other jackass passing me on the shoulder.

Anyways..., I got my hands on a 1976 KZ900 from a guy that my Matco dealer knew. It had been sitting for about 3 years in the elements. It was quite fun pushing the brakeless tank into the bed of a pickup truck up a dyno ramp. It came half taken apart with 3 boxes of parts. I got it back to the shop and everyone started making fun of it right away. Saying it's huge and I'll never be able to pick it up when I drop it. after hearing that, I became curious. Could I pick it up? Was it heavy? I'd never picked up a dropped motorcycle or even thought of having to do it. Well, I layed it down and it was stupid easy to pick up. I offered the same sweet experience to all around with no takers. After getting it upright again, something happened. Some sort of bond between the bike and myself. I love this thing. Not sure why, but I know I do.

Ok, that was my ranting on how sweet I think this thing is. I guess if anyone in this world would appreciate that, it'd be you guys. Nobody I know personally shares my interest in this thing.

I still barely know what I have, but I'm doing stuff to it which is good I suppose. First off, I swapped the rear suspension to that of an '02 GSXR1000 which was alot simpler than I expected, only requiring a mount for the monoshock and machining a sleeve to allow use of the KZ swingarm bolt. Also minor relocation of the stock center stand tabs to make the final attachment point. Alot easier than anything I do daily. I have the whole front suspension as well which I plan to put on. The main reason I'm doing this is due to the fact that the brakes on the bike are done and I like to upgrade things.
Not sure exactly what I'm looking to achieve with this thing, but hopefully it'll all work out in the end.

I suppose now I'll not punish anyone else with words and supply some pics. Sorry, I just got home and stayed and finished the mono shock mount and milled the points cover flat and am still thinking of it.

As I got it... Roughly put together.

As it was earlier today with shock mount roughed up. It's all finished, but I didn't have a camera. I'll bring one in monday for sure. Don't mind all the shit laying on it.

Here's some shots of the shock mount. It's 1/8" steel drilled and dimpled. Wanted it to be out of the way, to have room for a battery and light and rigid. Hopefuly it works, If not, I'll redo it. No biggy. It's all boxed in now, also drilled and dimpled.

Hopefully I can have some more updates soon. I don't really work on it much. Like one day a week if that. Hope to have a rolling chassis by christmas.

at ma-motorsports sweeping the floor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2008 23:06 #249883 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit
Looks like your doing a good job on it. All the people I ride with have newer plastic bikes but they all love my bike. Thy all get a little jealous at the drags when everyone wants to talk to me about my bike and they get ignored. :laugh: I make the comparison like this-a new Acura will beat an old Chevelle in almost every aspect of performance, braking, cornering, 0-60 whatever. BUT it's not a Chevelle. The new bikes will out perform our kz's but they are not an old kz. I also tell them if you took three bikes from each Japanese brand, painted them white and stood 20 feet away, no one would be able to tell what was what. Take a kz and cover it with a tarp and most riders would know what it is.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
29 Nov 2008 04:45 #249891 by PLUMMEN
looks good so far

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
29 Nov 2008 08:01 #249916 by rayshake
Replied by rayshake on topic Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit
I agree. I can't tell one plastic bike from another.. They all look like the same car with a different body kit as far as I'm concerned. My business partner just got an SR500 and I think that thing is sweet. Plus, I'm the only one in the shop that can kick start it every time. I'm looking for a Kawasaki triple 750 2 stroke now. I really just want to fabricate the pipes for it more than anything, but I think they look sweet and sound awesome too. Love the old Kawasakis for some reason. I think this will be a life long hobby for me now. Bikes are so much easier than cars to work on and dirt cheap in comparison. We do alot of racing with cars and it's really time consuming and expensive. Especially the drift car which consumes at least 20 tires an event. I do want to burn a tire off the bike once. Always wanted to do that. Gotta figure out how to ride it first. The last time I rode a bike was in Ko Samui, Thailand and I had a passenger and had to ride on the wrong side of the road, which I quickly remembered when I was facing oncoming traffic in their lane!!!

OK, I promise I'll make up for all these words with some pics next time.

More
29 Nov 2008 08:22 #249919 by rstnick

I'm looking for a Kawasaki triple 750 2 stroke now.

Where are you?
A buddy of mine has one for sale up here in Canada, just west of Toronto Ontario.
H2 for sale

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
29 Nov 2008 20:14 - 29 Nov 2008 20:19 #249989 by Sandy
Man,if that H2 was closer,I'd bite on it...DAM,would that ever make a nice Christmas present,to...ME!:ohmy:

Wow...beauty bike!B)

Rob...will you deliver?;)

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Last edit: 29 Nov 2008 20:19 by Sandy.

More
29 Nov 2008 21:47 #249997 by Link14
Good luck on your project rayshake. I've just started on my '76 kz900 project too and you're alot further along. Gotta love these old KZ's!

More
29 Nov 2008 23:58 #250006 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit
5K is a bargain for that bike! He should put it on ebay he would get over 7K for it easy.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
01 Dec 2008 22:18 #250308 by rayshake
Wow! That's an awesome bike. Great deal too. I think I may have found a suitable project already. I can't get something nice. I'm a bit strange and possibly enjoy building something more than actually using it if that makes any sense.? I snapped a few pics. Waiting on some front end stuff to get here still. I hate waiting. I want to rip this bike apart but don't really feel the need if I have nothing to move forward with. I'm hoping to have the front end on this week. That would be sweet. Then I can rebuild the carbs and rewire this thing. I just want a rolling chassis first with brakes that work. Well, rolling on the octagon wheels I got for free to mock shit up at least. Anyone know if any headers from other bikes/engines are close to the KZ as far as port spacing/piping diameter?? I'd love to put a titanium header from something on this thing but it'd cost way to much for me to make it from scratch. I'm all for modifying an existing one though.
Pics. I suck at MIG welding!!

and a shot of my buddy's SR500 we got rolling today.

More
01 Dec 2008 22:24 #250309 by PLUMMEN
thats some pretty high end looking shock mounts you made!B) somebody stole the back off your frame!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
01 Dec 2008 22:27 #250311 by jordan
nice project man! What kind of cars are you drifting? Thats one sport that blew up quick. The closest thing to drifting us hillbillys here in South Dakota see is getting a little sideways once in a while with pickups and camaro's, haha.

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

More
02 Dec 2008 06:33 #250344 by rayshake
PLUMMEN wrote:

thats some pretty high end looking shock mounts you made!B) somebody stole the back off your frame!:laugh:

I wanted the shock mount to add as little weight as possible. It'll hopefully be strong enough..

Yeah, I chopped the back off the frame thinking I would go for the stubby look but I'm beginning to rethink it and like the longer stock look based on some of the Japanese bikes on A-Magic.com

It'll have something made. Needs more things made.