Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit

More
02 Dec 2008 06:45 #250345 by rayshake
Replied by rayshake on topic Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit
jordan wrote:

nice project man! What kind of cars are you drifting? Thats one sport that blew up quick. The closest thing to drifting us hillbillys here in South Dakota see is getting a little sideways once in a while with pickups and camaro's, haha.

Thanks man. I'm trying.

We drift a 1990 Nissan 240sx with that revs to 10k and puts down 450-500hp. The guy with the red frame SR500 is the driver. It's a pretty wicked car. Super light and stupid fast. We build and tune quite a few drift cars. Anything rear wheel drive works for me. Our other partner JR Gitten drives a Mustang for Ford/Falken tire at the highest level for you domestic fans. I'm not really a huge drifting fan due to the judging aspect. I just like building and tuning fast ass cars. Hopefully I'll be able to add bikes to that one day. The KZ will def go on the dyno as soon as it runs.

at ma-motorsports sweeping the floor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2008 12:48 #250403 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit
i still have the 1978 z1r that was my dads back in the early 80's.he gave it to me when i turned 15.before it was mine he would lay it on it's side in the yard and me and my brothers would each try to pick it up.he told us when we could pick it up we could ride it.sure was something to look forward to,just thinkin man this might be the day i finally get to ride it.
another reason to have bikes is you can get more bikes in a garage than cars:laugh: .

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
03 Dec 2008 19:53 #250570 by rayshake
Front suspension is on!!!!! This bike just wants to be put together. It all bolted on for the most part with minor mods. Well, yeah. Hell yeah. Will post pics when I get home.

More
03 Dec 2008 20:22 #250576 by PLUMMEN
bring em on!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2008 21:04 #250588 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit
my shop will hold 19 i have 9 in there right now i have already paced out how many others it will hold.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
03 Dec 2008 21:11 #250590 by rayshake
Alright, Got the front end installed. It was rather simple. Front end is off a 2001 GSXR 1000. I got the forks and axle from bike shop next door. Just got some triple trees and calipers from an ebay seller. Had gotten a lower tree for a GSXR 600 and was told that it'd fit which is not the case. Anyway, the 600 stem bolt was longer, so I tried that in the 1000 lower but it was still not long enough. Cut the weld ad looked at the KZ bolt and determined it needed to be built up with weld and turned down to fit in the GSXR lower, then machine upper tree to suit KZ bolt. Then I looked at the GSXR 1000 bolt again. It only needed to be a bit longer but the 600 bolt had a step in it to stop it from going in deeper into the tree that the 1000 did not have..... It had a snap ring in it and the OD was the same all the way down. That got me thinking. I removed the ring and pressed it in about a mm into the tree than flush. Stuck it in and I had enough threads for the bearing load adjuster nut. Sweet.. I was ready to take measurements and order up some bearings. Until I measured the KZ bearings which were already the proper ID. Well hell, I put on the lower seal and pressed the race on and BAM!! Front end connected. Using KZ bearings, seals, dust shield thing and even the single steel preload nut. It all bolted on. Too bad my ebay trees are bent and I don't have a tool for the axle. Anyways. That's how it ended up and here's some pics.

Sleep time now.

More
03 Dec 2008 21:15 #250593 by rayshake
Also, This thing looks like it's gonna be stupid low. Don't really know if that's a good or bad thing. Can you straighten a bent lower tree?? And I'm thinking of drilling through the tree and into the bolt, tapping it and running a bolt in. Is that overkill??

More
03 Dec 2008 21:52 #250598 by PLUMMEN
the trees are cast,i wouldnt recomend straightening it myself too easy to stress crack.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Dec 2008 05:24 #250643 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit
There was another member who drilled his out and put a lock bolt in just in case. I'm surprised no one has started making tripples that will bolt right up to the kz frame. Maybe due to liability issues. But if someone was to make them to fit the original gauges and USD forks that was a true bolt on they would make a million.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
04 Dec 2008 22:20 #250780 by rayshake
More pics. No progress other than me putting it on the ground. Had to make an axle tool out of a bolt. It's low. May end up making a header for it. Not sure yet. Tired as hell. Too many cars. I hate them. Here. loks like a toy now. All small looking. I think it looks cool but I don't know anything about these things. It sure is rewarding to work on so far and I'm learning quite a bit working on it so that's awesome.

Sorry for crap angles. I work on this thing in a corner of the shop next to some tires. I did push it up to the front of the shop by the dyno. I'll try to get some better shots and use a tripod since I don't have a sweet flash.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Dec 2008 11:27 #251041 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Project first motorcycle kz900 whatchamacallit
They do sit low but most guys report that they are ok. I felt mine was going to be too low as well. I desided to use a longer front fork for that reason.I used a zx9 fork.
Hear is a link to my project.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=11&id=103381

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
06 Dec 2008 15:37 #251084 by rayshake
mark1122 wrote:

They do sit low but most guys report that they are ok. I felt mine was going to be too low as well. I desided to use a longer front fork for that reason.I used a zx9 fork.
Hear is a link to my project.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=11&id=103381

I've read up on your build and love your bike. I have no experience with motorcycles so this one I'm sure, will be a huge learning experience for me. I can't wait to get it done and running and start riding it. Then move on to a new and improved project.