1983 KZ750 Project. 3yrs but nearing the end! With pics this time.

More
04 Feb 2009 18:53 #262252 by Skar
I can't wait to ride it for the first time. Its only missing the side covers, which sucks because they are next to impossible to find. Some day they'll pop up on ebay and I'll drop more on them than I spent on the Bike:laugh: . The Benelli is on the back burner though. My main focus is finding a tank so I can finish my KZ by spring.
Please Help!!!
Have a good one everybody.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2009 00:48 #262280 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic 1983 KZ750 Project. 3yrs but nearing the end! W
Skar wrote:

...Full asking price of $300 and he delivered it to my house.
I LOVE CRAIGSLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$300 for a vintage Benelli..............dang:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
22 Feb 2009 08:34 #267095 by Skar
I FOUND A TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After searching for what seems like forever for my more boxy style of tank I almost gave up and was going to convert to a rounded one. I did not want to do this because I was worried about loosing my Beefy look. After searching ebay, craigslist and calling every salvage yard in the country (the salvage shops had beat-up dented ones that they wanted $300 for) I finally came across this 1982 GPZ750, and I'll be driving a total of 32 1/2 hours to get it. I am going to hate pulling parts off of this instead of just restoring it, but after 4 years I have to make some sacrifices to complete my bike. The engine set up is exactly the same as mine. 810 bore, racing cams, racing clutch and stage 3 jet, which is awesome because now I have an extra engine to just drop in if I blow mine. It also has the belly fairing which I think will look pretty sweet on my bike. I have an extra engine from an 82 KZ750 that I'll probably put back in this one to sell when I'm all done. We'll see, I may just keep it for a future project. Well, here's the pics. Please don't yell at me to much for stripping it.:lol:
Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2009 08:35 #267097 by Skar
Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2009 08:36 #267098 by Skar
Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2009 08:36 #267099 by Skar
Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2009 08:37 #267100 by Skar
Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2009 08:28 #269627 by Skar
Well, I am about halfway through my trip spending time in Hampton VA with my brother for a couple days. It has been very long but productive. I picked up the GPz which is what I expected but I also me a very cool guy from this site named Tim (I don't know his member name, Tim if you see this then respond so we can see it) who hooked me up with great condition parts that I needed. I am using his tank and plastic set as they are in great condition and am probably going to paint a whole other set another color for a quick swap different look. Anyway Tim has a complete 1983 KZ750L3 in great condition for parts if anyone is interested. He is a very nice guy and very reasonable. I did not want to drag a trailor on this long trip so I was going to part the bike out and put it in the back of my expo but then I saw this hitch thing online and had to have one. I took off a couple parts, pushed it up, sinched it down and drove away. Sweet for a trip like this. I'll keep everyone posted when I get home and strip to paint.
Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2009 08:35 #269628 by Skar
2 Sets of tanks, side covers, Tail sections, seats. One in very good condition, one in OK condition. Thank you Tim for making it easier on me.
Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2009 08:39 #269629 by Skar
Isn't this Hitch Motorcycle carrier Cool? It even comes with a ramp. This one has a 500lb max but is working very well for me. I paid $100 for it at Pepboys (I had to do research to talk them down) but you can get bigger and better ones online for more $$$$$$$$. Have a good one guys!
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2009 14:02 #271638 by rogue4169
Replied by rogue4169 on topic 1983 KZ750 Project. 3yrs but nearing the end! W
I'm glad everything is working out good for your project. I was glad to sell you the stuff I had. We both came out ok. you got good condition parts, I made a few bucks. I hope everyone who sees this, inquires about the rest of the stuff I have. I really would like to part out the rest of the bike. BTW, I like the dual street fighter headlights you have on the front. If you hear of anyone looking for parts, you know the condition of my stuff, send them my way. anyway, that is a good looking GPZ you picked up. If you need anything, most of my stuff will work on it. Shoot me some more pics as you complete your project. :)

Tim Arnold

More
12 May 2009 05:29 #290474 by Skar
I finally got some time! The bike is completely stripped, the frame, swingarm, and a couple other things are being powder coated. My tank and plastics are being painted, and I am hoping to spray the rest and put it all back together soon. My goal is to be riding it by mid June. I'll get some pics as soon as I start getting it back.