1983 KZ750 Project. 3yrs but nearing the end! With pics this time.

More
10 Jul 2008 12:34 #225369 by Skar
I do like the original paint but thats not what I'm going to do. For the tank, fenders and side covers I am going with sort of a gun metal grey that has a very slight hint of blue with all stickers and labels off so its smooth with no marks on it. The frame, swingarm, forks and rims will be a Gloss black. Everything else on the bike is going to be a Flat stealth black. I may put some pin stripes on the rims which will probably be blue, I have not decided for sure but a splash of color may be nice. I will keep the pics coming as I go.
I thought the ZX-11 front end with those big rotors made it look nice and beefy. It also does not hurt that I can stop a lot faster now. Its amazing how light and balanced the bike feels with the new front and rear ends.
I will have to get back to everyone with the sprokets I'm using. I went through a few before I got it perfect, I'm going back up to work on the bike this coming week so I'll take a look. I did have to cut some angles out of the front sproket cover so it would fit and not hit but it still looks great. I'm using a 180 rear and a 120 front. Thanks for all the interest guys and I will keep the pics coming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2008 22:18 #225807 by Skar
Well I went up and had a good day of work on the bike. I could not get the info on the sprokets and chain because I was so busy doing other projects and I am really going to have to search for the part numbers. I'll look when I tear it apart to paint the frame and engine, I did snap a couple pics though.
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2008 22:23 #225810 by Skar
This is the pic of the chain case that I had to cut. Usually the case covers everything in front of the frame on the chain side. I followed the angle lines and had to trim up some on the inside but I think it turned out well.
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2008 22:39 #225812 by Skar
I wanted to alter the seat to make it a little deeper because I thought it looked to puffy and big. Also after I was done shaving off some foam for looks I realized it became a whole lot more comfortable. I am going to attempt the upholstery myself, We'll see how frustrated I get on this one :huh:. I also wet sanded my plastics and have made a lot of head way on the tank. I should be ready for prime and paint in the next couple weeks. I also started to fit the Muzzy on but still have to make my bracket and set the pipe angle I want. I just thought I would throw these 4 pics on so you all could see the progress, I'm getting pretty excited to ride it. Pic#1
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2008 22:40 #225813 by Skar
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2008 22:41 #225814 by Skar
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2008 22:42 #225815 by Skar
And Pic# 4
I'll keep putting the pictures up as I go.
Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2008 09:13 #225870 by gorack
i like where your going with this specialy that pipe, keep them pics coming

More
13 Jul 2008 10:42 #225891 by Saki Jockey
As I'm looking at the pictures and reading about this build, my wife looks over my shoulder and says to me "No, your not buying another bike!". I'd take that as a compliment.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

More
13 Jul 2008 11:04 #225897 by Skar
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it. I am saving some of the best stuff for last so keep checking back in over the next month or so as I will only put those parts on after its painted.

More
14 Jul 2008 06:59 #226040 by Spleaf
Nice project. Looking forward to seeing more pics as it develops.

Chris
Philadelphia PA
1979 KZ650

More
19 Jul 2008 07:27 #227042 by Skar
Hello everyone. I think I was a little premature in thinking that I will be done at the begining of August. It Seems that every time you get one thing done theres twelve more to do. I did sew the seat however, and it went surprisingly well. My frustration level never got beyond this :X, and it only took me about an hour. I have not secured it on the seat yet but pulling it over looks great. I'll keep you guys posted as I go, I'm now shooting for the end of August. I have to finish before next year, I really don't want this to be a 4 year project.