New member/old roots

• Tirefire Pat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • (2) 1980 kz1000 b-ltd,,h2-750 triple,sold.kz 550 ,
More
03 May 2016 13:56 #724317 by Tirefire Pat
New member/old roots was created by Tirefire Pat
Hello to all,were I grew up every cool badass had a z,I've een lurking and trying to learn mechanical tips from everyone here.damn ..Alot of you guys know your stuff!!! My carpentry skills are mad,you need a 5000' sq ft house framed, I got ya !! but taking off an engine part intimidates me like nothing else..my current bike 1980 Ltd 100O b ,I bought 2 yrs ago.10000 miles ..on it runs strong .the mods I'm lookin at are swingarm,swap,,and change the front forks ,wheel ..swap out with newer.better..one,,what do ineed to consider (type of front end,,swingarm off of wat bike is least amount of deep technical knowledge that will work, ect.) I' just don't know where to start,I know I want bike to have cafe look with a few upgraded components .can anyone steer me towards an engine builder within 250 miles of mid Maryland.. I guy here who I know is great as quoted me 6000..bore it ,new crank,welded,34 mm carbs ported polished,Vance Hines clutch.I almost passed out..is he crazy or am I?,thanks for any and all input,,you guys are a wealth of knowledge. And have some sweet rides..thanks. Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 14:16 #724323 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic New member/old roots

Tirefire Pat wrote: Hello to all,were I grew up every cool badass had a z,I've een lurking and trying to learn mechanical tips from everyone here.damn ..Alot of you guys know your stuff!!! My carpentry skills are mad,you need a 5000' sq ft house framed, I got ya !! but taking off an engine part intimidates me like nothing else... ...thanks for any and all input,,you guys are a wealth of knowledge. And have some sweet rides..thanks. Pat

Welcome!
You'll find a lot of guys here are more wood centric than machine centric but that does not stop them from trying :whistle:

Like the saying goes: Funny how when all you got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail! :laugh:

I don't know what quality machinists & mechanics cost in your neck of the woods but if the quotes cause you grief then think about how many tools & mech.eng. classes you can buy for less.
Besides there's quite a few awesome machinists here helping others out.. why not jump in and get a few oil stains added to your sawdusty jeans? I'm sure of one thing: you'll have a bigger smile on your face if you do vs the teeth clenching to pull out your wallet to pay up a $6k invoice...
Enjoy the ride brother. It usually starts in your garage B)

• Tirefire Pat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2016 14:24 #724326 by Tirefire Pat
Replied by Tirefire Pat on topic New member/old roots
Thanks WM. I do want to give it hell man working on the bike I mean ,I just don't want to end up way over my head with a pile of parts or end up under a dumptruck because I didn't know I needed a bushing,,bearing or something that I simply didnt know... But I hear ya..I'm not afraid to try I'm just scared...ha ...I'm on here to learn...thx again

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 May 2016 14:56 #724338 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New member/old roots
I started out on a 350 Honda. I've been a machinist, line welder, carpenter/ joiner, it goes on and on. Always worked on my own bikes, cars and trucks. Even ran two service bays for bikes. :whistle:
You and I both know, what can be done, can be undone. Just another project to be completed with "grace, skill and finesse." Carl said that. ;)
I say there's a certain satisfaction in knowing what's going on between your legs. B) Have at it. :woohoo:
Steve

• Tirefire Pat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2016 15:04 #724339 by Tirefire Pat
Thanks Steve.. I always read ANTHING you have to say..and I'm all about what goes on between my legs..haa thanks brother...

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 May 2016 15:11 #724343 by SWest
Double edged coin. Joke/reality. You're welcome.
Steve

• Tirefire Pat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2016 15:22 #724345 by Tirefire Pat
Yea I got ya loud n clear.EVERY MEMBER of my family ,father,mother and brother have been in serious kz Kawasaki motorcycle crashes. I know serious ...lmao

More
03 May 2016 16:14 #724359 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic New member/old roots

Tirefire Pat wrote: Thanks WM. I do want to give it hell man working on the bike I mean ,I just don't want to end up way over my head with a pile of parts or end up under a dumptruck because I didn't know I needed a bushing,,bearing or something that I simply didnt know... But I hear ya..I'm not afraid to try I'm just scared...ha ...I'm on here to learn...thx again

Yup. I know that feeling too man - overwhelmed and a perhaps weeee bit under skilled :ohmy: at some points as you stare blankly at an engine's internals, now spread out all over the place. Thankfully, that's where this forum works out so great. Most of the guys here have been really helpful and able to advise you of pitfalls to watch out for before you find yourself knee deep in it.
The search function helps a ton too. Even if the search results aren't always clear - which has been my biggest problem - getting the exact verbiage to match what I mean and not just any matching word I have said.

I think, the thing I've come to understand about this is: every job, no matter how intimidating it may seem, is just a series of smaller tasks. Kinda' helps my old brain not to become overwhelmed if I can see just "the next step" instead of the massive, exploded view of a motorcycle. ;)
This used to be my biggest fear:
Attachments:

• Tirefire Pat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2016 16:28 #724364 by Tirefire Pat
Thanks. WM..I see you do get it....

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 May 2016 19:22 #724403 by SWest
Like I always use to tell my helpers. One thing at a time, by the end of the day see how far you've come. B)
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tirefire Pat

More
06 May 2016 11:10 #724901 by Ed_in_Miami
Replied by Ed_in_Miami on topic New member/old roots
Welcome!
Yes... doing your own work may seem intimidating, but as previously said... it's better to focus on one piece at a time!

:lol:

This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!

More
06 May 2016 11:54 #724912 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New member/old roots

Tirefire Pat wrote: Thanks WM. I do want to give it hell man working on the bike I mean ,I just don't want to end up way over my head with a pile of parts or end up under a dumptruck because I didn't know I needed a bushing,,bearing or something that I simply didnt know... But I hear ya..I'm not afraid to try I'm just scared...ha ...I'm on here to learn...thx again

Smart! A previous member here decided that Step - 1 on cleaning up a bike that was running fine was to totally disassemble it so he could clean up all the parts and then re-assemble. Guess how far he got before he gave up? (see image below for his finished product :( ). Ed

Attachment bikepartslayout2-2-3.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments: