First time poster, long time Kawi lover

More
03 Feb 2016 07:59 #709194 by KawiBunga
First time poster, long time Kawi lover was created by KawiBunga
Hello Kz Family, I'm new here and a little about myself. I'm almost 33 dad got me introduced to the love of Kawasaki when I was a kid with his 76 KZ900. Hes also on here sn: Motopsycho .
I live in Minnesota and love to ride, unfortunately the KZ I got is not in riding condition....yet.
Last summer I received a 77 KZ650 as a gift from my dad to do what I wanted with since it did run and has not ran since probably the mid 80s. We received it for free as it was hidden in a garage at an apartment complex, for who knows how many years from a tenant that was evicted years earlier.
I called the DMV and did a full check on the bike and found it had not been looked at in the system since 1985 and was told that I just had to fill out a few forms and I'd be given a brand new title as if I was the only owner of the bike! Woohooo!
So then I had the idea....I've always been a fan of Cafè Racer styling and being a previous owner of an R6 I loved the trying position and comfort it provided, so then I made the decision to restore it from the ground up into a Cafè Racer!
I'm takin my time on it and will definitely have many questions for you guys, I drive a Semi during the week so the weekends are full of family time and what free time I have I try and work on the ol girl.

Well anyways gotta run, hope you all enjoy the progress, I'll post what I have so far, also where do I post my build at? Like as a topic and such so people can follow?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2016 08:37 #709204 by Jussumguy
Replied by Jussumguy on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
Oh my gosh, that's a beautiful survivor you have there! I'll bet the paint will clean up like new. Good for you

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
03 Feb 2016 09:19 #709214 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
Welcome to KZR !!!!
Nice 650
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Feb 2016 10:44 #709222 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
Welcome. I'd keep it stock. lots of other bikes to cafe out. You can restore this one, sell it and buy what you want. Maybe a KZP and turn it into a canyon carver.
Steve

More
03 Feb 2016 15:26 - 03 Feb 2016 15:29 #709266 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
Welcome KawiBunga.
I'm also working on a 650C1 project.
Leaning more towards stock myself, as I have another 650 that's not.
Looking forward to your project, and if you have some C1 bits you no longer need, let me know.

;)

B)

My C1 & C2:

[IMG

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 15:29 by rstnick.

More
03 Feb 2016 16:25 - 03 Feb 2016 16:25 #709277 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
There are a million cafe races out there; and frankly they are just ho-hum boring. It looks like your C1 has good original paint. I HIGHLY recommend you actually RESTORE it (not mod) to stock condition. Trust me when I tell you that the KZ650-C1 with original blue paint in stock condition is not only quite rare but also a great looking bike. I know this from 39 years of ownership of the one below. Ed

Attachment BOM02.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 16:25 by 650ed.

More
03 Feb 2016 19:30 #709299 by KawiBunga
Replied by KawiBunga on topic Re:First time poster, long time Kawi lover

650ed wrote: There are a million cafe races out there; and frankly they are just ho-hum boring. It looks like your C1 has good original paint. I HIGHLY recommend you actually RESTORE it (not mod) to stock condition. Trust me when I tell you that the KZ650-C1 with original blue paint in stock condition is not only quite rare but also a great looking bike. I know this from 39 years of ownership of the one below. Ed

Attachment BOM02.jpg not found

That's a super clean 650! Yeah mine seems to be bone stock with the luggage rack (don't know if that was an option) it only has 12,350 miles on it. I don't plan on chopping mine up, just removing and keeping the stock parts and adding on bolt on new parts to then maybe later run through it again and bring her back to stock? I don't know, it's a tough decision. I definitely don't plan on selling it for a long time so it's not about the money.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
04 Feb 2016 01:45 #709308 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
Nice find and a pretty cool Dad B)
Clean it up and, it back to spec and ride it for awhile before you mod it too much. A lower set of bars and a flatter seat will transform that bike.

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
04 Feb 2016 12:24 #709390 by Kwaker2000
Replied by Kwaker2000 on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
please oh please restore it back to stock ,like ed said too good to chop up B)

:)

More
04 Feb 2016 23:44 - 05 Feb 2016 00:01 #709449 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
Get a can of flat black paint and a hacksaw ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Love of kawasaki my ass Hey its your bike and you can do what you want but dont come on a site where people actualy do love them and show me how your going to make a cafe racer bull shit crap bike. I guess i love them just a tad bit more than you,
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 00:01 by peter1958. Reason: b

More
05 Feb 2016 05:21 #709483 by KawiBunga
Replied by KawiBunga on topic Re:First time poster, long time Kawi lover

peter1958 wrote: Get a can of flat black paint and a hacksaw ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Love of kawasaki my ass Hey its your bike and you can do what you want but dont come on a site where people actualy do love them and show me how your going to make a cafe racer bull shit crap bike. I guess i love them just a tad bit more than you,

Wow, a bit harsh don't you think? Dang, if you actually READ my replies I said I WASN'T going to chop it up. The frame motor and all that are going to stay stock, just rebuilding them. Not a fan of blue, so yes I'm painting it....NOT flat black, it's NOT going to be a true "café racer" it's going to be my own design what ever that is. And hey you don't want me to do that to it and restore it to bone stock, make me an offer to "save" it if you love it so much. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that Alllllll these other guys on here that have modified KZs haven't had had the pleasure of receiving a wonderful response that you've graced me with?!?

So what's your offer to have me rebuild it to stock numbers?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Feb 2016 05:40 #709486 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:First time poster, long time Kawi lover
:lol: :lol: :lol: Mine isn't stock ether nor is it chopped up. To each his own. I also hate to see a good bike hacked up unless it's like this.
Steve

I'd like to get a KZP and make my own canyon carver.
Attachments: