First time poster, long time Kawi lover

More
05 Feb 2016 05:49 #709489 by KawiBunga
Replied by KawiBunga on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
I like that orange one, that's pretty much the style I'm kinda looking on doing minus the different swing arm and such, just different handlebars and controls. Dude where did you get that seat, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Feb 2016 05:56 - 05 Feb 2016 05:57 #709493 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
It's one of our member's bikes. Now that's a hack job I can get my teeth into. Kaw-a-holic is working on one and davido is putting together a KZP mod mod I'm digging. Lots more here too.
Steve
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 05:57 by SWest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KawiBunga

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
05 Feb 2016 05:58 #709494 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover

peter1958 wrote: Get a can of flat black paint and a hacksaw ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Love of kawasaki my ass Hey its your bike and you can do what you want but dont come on a site where people actualy do love them and show me how your going to make a cafe racer bull shit crap bike. I guess i love them just a tad bit more than you,

OUCH! Send Pete to the smell house! :lol:
Save your original parts, plenty of stuff on ebay. Don't ruin stock paint!
Cut Chop And Weld. This was just a pile of different parts. I think it was a KZ900.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

More
05 Feb 2016 06:02 #709496 by KawiBunga
Yeah I was thinking about making my own Carbon fiber side panels and buying a used or new repro tank and saving the one I have. Mostly everything I'm going to be doing is going to be bolt on, so the bike would be possible to bring back to total stock with minimal effort.

I like the frame, what's the plans on that?

More
05 Feb 2016 11:37 - 05 Feb 2016 11:47 #709559 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Re:First time poster, long time Kawi lover
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

KawiBunga wrote: ...... Not a fan of blue, so yes I'm painting it.

That really is a pity (and a really bad idea since the existing paint is original)! There are not many stock paint jobs still around, and they are getting rarer every day. You say you aren't going to hack it up, but the original paint is the one thing that can never be put back. If you hate the blue, why not just get another set of bodywork that needs paint, paint it, and save or sell the original set? If you sell the original set you will for sure come out ahead. Ed

Used - original body set

Used - repainted tank

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 11:47 by 650ed.

More
05 Feb 2016 11:48 #709561 by KawiBunga
Replied by KawiBunga on topic Re:First time poster, long time Kawi lover
Yeah I'm looking for a different tank that's in good condition. Most are dented up and are to expensive for what they are. As for the tail piece and side covers I was planning on making fiberglass or carbon fiber molded reproductions. Trying to please all the critics, may be more work and definitely cost allot more but I want people to enjoy my work not hate me for it.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Feb 2016 12:38 #709573 by SWest

More
05 Feb 2016 12:43 #709575 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Re:First time poster, long time Kawi lover
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

650ed wrote:

KawiBunga wrote: ...... Not a fan of blue, so yes I'm painting it.

That really is a pity (and a really bad idea since the existing paint is original)! There are not many stock paint jobs still around, and they are getting rarer every day. You say you aren't going to hack it up, but the original paint is the one thing that can never be put back. If you hate the blue, why not just get another set of bodywork that needs paint, paint it, and save or sell the original set? If you sell the original set you will for sure come out ahead. Ed

Used - original body set

Used - repainted tank

That's half the reason I picked up a parts bike years ago ..... I would never paint over the dark stock blue even though I do have a couple of small dents and a scratch that somehow showed up...... love the drag style look too longer swingarm, dilled disc's, low bars etc.... not so much the cafe look.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
05 Feb 2016 13:38 #709594 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Re:First time poster, long time Kawi lover
If you're looking for a tank or something used is it. There's really no new ones, learn to pop a few minor dents, they usually come out easy (gotta do it from the inside)

And best bet for a tank? Put up a want ad on here. EBay is a joke when it comes to pricing. People here usually have the hookup

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
05 Feb 2016 17:39 #709645 by KawiBunga
Yeah Id definitely consider trading some of the blue body parts and or my luggage rack for goods and services, eBay definitely is ridiculous lol. I'm going to be making some molds of the side panels and the tail to recreate out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, still don't know exactly the design I'm going for exactly yet. But have a good idea, haha

More
07 Feb 2016 06:12 #709810 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic First time poster, long time Kawi lover
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI don't agree that eBay is ridiculous. Although some sellers clearly are insane with their prices, I have bought tons of parts there and gotten some really good deals. Regarding a fuel tank for the KZ650, here's one that includes shipping for $75. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)