Decent-condition KZ400

More
25 Aug 2015 04:06 #687059 by PDogg
Decent-condition KZ400 was created by PDogg
Hey everyone. My brother bought a KZ400 several years ago (I can't recall precisely how long.), which my dad then bought from him, which is now being passed down to me, if I can get it back up and running. That said, it's been sitting for around 7 years, and was never winterized. The gas tank was rusted through before my brother bought it, and the guy who had it before him tried to repair it with Bondo. When I got to it, the tank still had fuel in it, and the Bondo was sloughing off into the fuel, with a latex paint-like consistency. I'm already planning to replace the tank entirely.

I'm currently rebuilding the engine (new gaskets should arrive by the fifth. It's the older style engine with the "clown face" gasket for the jugs.) and have already obtained replacement brake, clutch, and speedometer cables. I'm also going to be replacing the fuel lines and battery. I lucked out, as the wiring harness appears to be entirely stock, so the schematics in the Clymer manual are accurate. I'm pretty sure it's the Standard edition, as it has the front disc brake and centerstand, but lacks the factory hardbags or fairing. The engine is a bit dirty and rusted, but the interior is in great shape aside from the gaskets (See attached pictures). I plan to run through the engine with brake cleaner, and hit the exterior with Sea Foam penetrator to clean it up a bit.

That all being said, there's still a lot I don't know, and the Clymer manual is a little vague on more than a couple topics, so I'm hoping to leech off the experience of some of you guys who've been doing it longer and better to bring this relic back to life :P I hope to get to know you all well in the coming months, and look forward to the day I can pay it forward :D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
25 Aug 2015 04:42 #687063 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Decent-condition KZ400
Welcome. The KZ400s are great bikes as long as you are not in a hurry. They are not considered rare but I've never seen another one besides mine in person even at Barber,
Good luck

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Aug 2015 05:56 #687067 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Decent-condition KZ400
Welcome, looks like you have something to work with.
Steve