More
21 Aug 2015 16:56 #686653 by The Nomad
New Member was created by The Nomad
Hey Folks,

I'm a new member here and I've been riding motorcycles for about 31 years. My first bike was a Kawasaki 250 back in the early 80s and (probably like most of you) I wish I could have her back today. Right now I'm running around on an Ex-police KZ1000p. It's a fantastic machine and I intend to keep her for some time.

Attachment IMAG3116.jpg not found

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
- Voltaire
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Aug 2015 17:09 - 21 Aug 2015 17:10 #686656 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New Member
Welcome. I kept mine. Bought it new in 75. Good to see them kept alive.
Steve

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Aug 2015 17:10 by SWest.

More
21 Aug 2015 17:13 #686657 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic New Member
Nice bike ;-)

Here's a tip: put shoe-goo under the shifter rubbers (and brake rubber) and they'll never fall off.

What's that metal strap hanging down behind your kickstand?

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Nomad

More
21 Aug 2015 17:14 #686658 by The Nomad
Replied by The Nomad on topic New Member
Man! I miss that little scoot. Mine was an 81 with a black tank and orange stripes. Really miss that bike.

- Voltaire

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Aug 2015 17:25 #686662 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New Member

jackleberry wrote: Nice bike ;-)

Here's a tip: put shoe-goo under the shifter rubbers (and brake rubber) and they'll never fall off.

What's that metal strap hanging down behind your kickstand?

I've never had a problem with the rubber falling off. Getting the old kick start rubber off was a job. Almost had to cut it off.
I think you're talking about the crash bar brace.

Lots of time and history with this machine. ;)
Steve
Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2015 17:36 #686663 by jackleberry

swest wrote: I've never had a problem with the rubber falling off. Getting the old kick start rubber off was a job. Almost had to cut it off.
I think you're talking about the crash bar brace.

Sorry swest, I was referring to OP's bike not yours.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
21 Aug 2015 17:56 - 21 Aug 2015 17:58 #686666 by The Nomad
Replied by The Nomad on topic New Member
You've got some good eyes, bud.

The strap is something the cops did to reinforce the pipe for some reason. It looks like they used some kind of JB Weld or heat-resistant epoxy. My mechanic and I looked it over and figured it was for some sort of stabilization purpose. Perhaps to arrest some rattling. Truth be told, I'm looking for another set of pipes. These have dings all over them and I'm finicky about how my bike looks. Obviously, it's a work in progress.

You also saw the rubber fell off the front shifter pad. I've been turning it over and over in my head how to take care of it. The rubber part will no longer fit because the cops cut the metal plate to about half the size. What I was thinking was I'll get the rubber pad and cut it to fit, but I want to make dang sure I use a strong epoxy. What sort of shoe goo were you suggesting?

Thanks for the idea!

Attachment KZ1000p.jpg not found

- Voltaire
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Aug 2015 17:58 by The Nomad. Reason: too many words.

More
21 Aug 2015 19:06 #686678 by jackleberry

The Nomad wrote: You've got some good eyes, bud.

The strap is something the cops did to reinforce the pipe for some reason. It looks like they used some kind of JB Weld or heat-resistant epoxy. My mechanic and I looked it over and figured it was for some sort of stabilization purpose. Perhaps to arrest some rattling. Truth be told, I'm looking for another set of pipes. These have dings all over them and I'm finicky about how my bike looks. Obviously, it's a work in progress.

You also saw the rubber fell off the front shifter pad. I've been turning it over and over in my head how to take care of it. The rubber part will no longer fit because the cops cut the metal plate to about half the size. What I was thinking was I'll get the rubber pad and cut it to fit, but I want to make dang sure I use a strong epoxy. What sort of shoe goo were you suggesting?

Thanks for the idea!

Shoe Goo is just a common brand. The same stuff is sold as Goop, somthing something Weld, and a million other names. It's a contact adhesive with toluene in it. Very noxious fumes until it cures but it will stick anything to anything else pretty much forever. Right up there with Duck Tape and SuperGlue. Some people safety wire them too, but I find that the shoe goo works wonderfully.

They cut off some metal? That's strange. Well, just cut a couple of bits of sheet metal to shape and stack them together (go ahead and use the shoe goo) so you can fit the OEM rubber. It's not like you're going to stand on it.

As to the pipes, you can cut those mufflers off and get some aftermarket slip-ons that look pretty close to stock. It's hard to find any aftermarket complete exhaust system that will clear the front engine guard and/or allow access to the oil filter, so you'll have an easier time if you keep the stock headers.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)