Kick starting my recent enrollment

• KraZy Rider
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
More
08 Feb 2015 02:11 - 08 Feb 2015 02:16 #660902 by KraZy Rider
Kick starting my recent enrollment was created by KraZy Rider
Hello fellow KZ Riders,
My name is Robert and wanted to share a little story on how I found your website.
First lets to go back to 1984. That was the year I bought my 1981 KZ1000 LTD from the Kawasaki dealership I was working at. The shop received some old/new stock and considering I worked there was able to get a kick a$$ deal on a brand new bike. Needless to say I was as happy as a tornado in a trailer park.
Fast forward to around 1992 when I had to sell my most prized possession. Yes, my KZ. I was heart broken and for years afterwords kicked myself in the a$$ for selling it. I sold it to a good friend and would see him on it from time to time. Since then he and I lost contact with each other. That is I till about a month ago when he happened to run into my x-wife at Sams club. She gave him my number and out of the blue I received his call. I was blown away. At this point we hadn't talked or seen each other for over 20 years. We've since met an caught up on where we've been for the last 20+ years. Naturally during our talks I ask him what had happened to my old bike. To my amazement he told me he still had it. Again I was blown away and immediately ask him if he was still riding it. He said no that he was riding a Harley now. No sh:t huh. So I ask what he was going to do with it? He said nothing and if I wanted it back it was mine.
WOW!!! Now how often does something like this happen? You buy a new bike, sell it and then 20+ years later it comes back to you.
The friend I sold it to took pretty darn good care of it having only put about 5000 miles on it all these years.
It hasn't been run in countless years and definitely needs some TLC. I'll post pix in the near future.
Anyway, getting my old bike back is what led me to this site and hope to both contribute to the already vast wealth of KZ knowledge here.

KraZy Rider
Last edit: 08 Feb 2015 02:16 by KraZy Rider.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2015 06:42 #660919 by Old Kaw Boy
Replied by Old Kaw Boy on topic Kick starting my recent enrollment
Very Cool Story, Keep us posted on the progress.

OLD KAW BOY

1979 LTD 1000

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Feb 2015 07:15 #660923 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Kick starting my recent enrollment
Yeah, they seem to want to come home. You'll need to replace the valve seals after all these years along with a few things inside depending on the mileage. Good story.
Steve

More
08 Feb 2015 15:18 #660980 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Kick starting my recent enrollment
Fantastic story. Welcome to KZR, can't wait to see some pics of the old girl.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
11 Feb 2015 13:56 #661310 by Drooz
Replied by Drooz on topic Kick starting my recent enrollment
Yes, great story! I'm thrilled for you! B)

My kz sat (in my own backyard/shed/garage) for 20+ years before it was back on the road. You're gonna have a blast getting it ship-shape, and it'll be like the day you first rode it all over again. B)

'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

• KraZy Rider
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
More
12 Feb 2015 03:03 #661376 by KraZy Rider
Replied by KraZy Rider on topic Kick starting my recent enrollment
Thanks guys for welcoming me to KZR.
I haven't picked up my bike yet. I've got a whole list of honey do's I promised to get done before all my attention turns to it. That and my garage was such a mess I wouldn't have had a place to work on it anyway. Gutted the whole thing for a complete remodel. Boy did that open a can of worms. Lol. Ending up being a lot more work than I had planned but I think in the end it'll be worth it.
Anyway, should be done and the KZ back where it belongs in a week or two.
I'll be sure to give her a bath and post some pix asap.

Thanks again.
Robert

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Feb 2015 06:42 #661383 by SWest
I was ashamed I let my bike sit for 15 years. Not after reading posts from other guys I don't feel so bad. Didn't know about the Z1 drain of the 90's and now have a rare machine. Not sure I like all the attention though. :unsure:
Steve

• KraZy Rider
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
More
13 Feb 2015 02:26 #661462 by KraZy Rider
Replied by KraZy Rider on topic Kick starting my recent enrollment

swest wrote: I was ashamed I let my bike sit for 15 years. Not after reading posts from other guys I don't feel so bad. Didn't know about the Z1 drain of the 90's and now have a rare machine. Not sure I like all the attention though. :unsure:
Steve

I hear ya. But I don't feel quite as bad since I wasn't the one who let mine sit for 12 yrs. (has an 03 sticker on it) Our machines are rare classics now. Can't even remember the last time I saw one. (unless a 1976 Honda 750four counts) I had a 750 with all kinds of goodies on it. 836 kit, cams, carbs, RC header and clutches, excell, etc, ect. It was a quick bike. Ate kz's for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lol. Head mechanic at the Kawasaki dealer I worked at was always wanting to race me. Every time he'd work on what he thought was a fast bike we'd go race the 1/4 mile. He finally gave up. :angry: Lol. (gotta admit the 900's would catch me after the 1/4) I had to sell it to pay off my 72 Ranchero GT. (had a 429ci, with lots of goodies in/on it) Heavy car but ran really good. I miss both of um. :(

More as it comes ...
Robert

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Feb 2015 05:56 #661473 by SWest
Miller had a CB 750 punched out to 1000cc. Had to build up the barrels so they wouldn't weep. Rigid frame Harley tank with the speedo, 5 Gal. I think, Del Orto carbs, Girder front end with up side down shock, duel disks and 16" Harley rim laced to the CB hub.
That thing was quick out of the hole. 750 crank. That's why I put in my Z2 750 crank. I didn't know the stroke was a little shorter. It wants to bury the red line but I'll go back to a 903 crank.
Maybe a 1100 kit in my future.
Steve

More
05 Apr 2015 03:12 #666607 by RFE81LTD1K
Replied by RFE81LTD1K on topic Kick starting my recent enrollment
Ok guys/gals, considering I haven't made it over to pick up my bike yet, I don't have an update on it. What I do have an update on is my user name. Per KZR, I was requested to change it due to it being too close to another members name and therefor possibly causing some confusion . So, in order to keep said confusion to a minimum around here, :lol: I have changed my user name to ... RFE81LTD1K.
Now that / that little detail has been taken care of it's time to get back to what we all know and love ... our KZ's.
Speaking of which, maybe if it's not raining tomorrow I'll finally go pick it up. Wish me luck. :unsure:

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.

More
18 Apr 2015 12:27 - 18 Apr 2015 12:54 #668554 by RFE81LTD1K
Replied by RFE81LTD1K on topic Kick starting my recent enrollment
ITS HOME!!! Where it belongs. I promised yall some pix so here they are. Ait she purdy?

Attachment 81KZ1000LTD9.jpg not found

Attachment 81KZ1000LTD.jpg not found

Attachment 81KZ1000LTD6.jpg not found

Attachment 81KZ1000LTD4.jpg not found

Attachment 81KZ1000LTD7.jpg not found

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2015 12:54 by RFE81LTD1K.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More